• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Warning About Nailers And Staplers

I posted this thread a while back and thought it would be worthwhile for a bump. It may keep you out of the ER.
    http://bt3central.com/showthread.php...ghlight=defeat

• BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Thanks for the reminder. While a lot of the safety additions are nothing more than something to keep the lawyers from getting richer, the safety on nailers is there for a good reason.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch
      Thanks for the reminder. While a lot of the safety additions are nothing more than something to keep the lawyers from getting richer, the safety on nailers is there for a good reason.
      Thanks for your input, as it makes posting information seem worthwhile.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I admit, I glanced, and got called away when this thread was first posted... All I can say is YIKES! I know the temptation is there to bypass safety devices, but they are there for a good reason...

I do wonder if there is something that can be done engineering wise by the manufacturers to make the safety easier to use... I know on my HF framing nailer, I would HATE using all day long every day, the thing will just beat you up.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

One of my co-workers has insured a commercial flat membrane (rubber and glue for the most part) roofer for 15 or 20 years. Pretty good sized operation, but highly safety conscious. According to Ron, this firm has only two workers comp claims in that period of time, both (drum roll please) involving employees--you guessed it--shooting themselves with nail guns.

Never a bad thing to get a reminder--thanks for that!!

earl

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I have a HF stapler that I use almost exclusively for fastening the louvers of plantation shutters to the lift bar. The jigs I use do not allow me to use the safety. So it has been wired out for awhile. That has not caused me any injury nor would I expect it to because of the design of these jigs. The only other thing I use this gun for is to put the back on cabinets.

Maybe it is my gun history which significantly pre-dates my nail gun history but I don't remember ever firing a nail gun or stapler when I did not intend to. My finger doesn't go near the trigger until I am in position to fire a gun - nail or powder. There is no other way to safely handle things with triggers. But I've never used either for a living. So my speed is not tied to my ability to eat. I'm not trying to be critical of others, in other words, I am just saying why I don't think this has been a problem for me.

I get a 24 gauge pin nail in the finger a few times a year. Those silly things are so thin they seem to follow the grain instead of the direction of the gun fairly often. I've occasionally had the same thing happen with a finish nailer but it is much more rare.

I'm not advocating anybody wiring the safety out of service, except for the one application I mentioned I use them. I am advocating keeping fingers away from triggers when you aren't ready to fire the tool. More than one line of defense is a good thing.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Here's hoping this doesn't happen to you.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtmANfAmov8

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

probably keeping you hands holding the work one nail/brad/pin length away from the point of entry is a good practice, too, esp. when firing. Those nails sometimes pop out in unexpected places due to being deflected by grain and or knots and stuff. etc.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

The more I think about it the more I think that a little training and range time with a gun that fires bullets would help most of us with safety skills around nail guns. All the ranges I have been at have been extremely intolerant of unsafe handling. The range officer is typically armed and will insist you leave with multiple violations. Requests to change what you are doing come in an urgent tone of voice and are immediate. Simple rules are:

1) Don't load your gun until ready to shoot (don't connect the air supply?)
                  2) Don't point your gun at things you do not intend to shoot. That includes not pointing it at yourself or others. This typically gets most people in trouble quickest. I don't see why the same thing doesn't apply with nail guns but the margin is typically a lot different. We often hold pieces in place while shooting nails. We never hold the target up while shooting bullets through it.
                  3) When you are done shooting, or taking a break, unload your gun. I don't do this with a nail gun but I think it's probably a good idea. Removing the air is easier than taking out the nails.
                  4) Wear hearing and eye protection. Directly applicable to nail guns in my shop.
                  5) Last thing you do before shooting is put your finger on the trigger. You don't carry a gun with your finger on the trigger. You put it along the side of the gun. Then when everything is ready for you to fire you put your finger into the trigger guard and fire. This seems to be the biggest safety difference for some people with nail guns. They put their finger on the trigger and depend on the safety. I don't think it's a good idea.

Jim

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by JimD
                    The more I think about it the more I think that a little training and range time with a gun that fires bullets would help most of us with safety skills around nail guns. All the ranges I have been at have been extremely intolerant of unsafe handling. The range officer is typically armed and will insist you leave with multiple violations. Requests to change what you are doing come in an urgent tone of voice and are immediate. Simple rules are:

1) Don't load your gun until ready to shoot (don't connect the air supply?)
                    2) Don't point your gun at things you do not intend to shoot. That includes not pointing it at yourself or others. This typically gets most people in trouble quickest. I don't see why the same thing doesn't apply with nail guns but the margin is typically a lot different. We often hold pieces in place while shooting nails. We never hold the target up while shooting bullets through it.
                    3) When you are done shooting, or taking a break, unload your gun. I don't do this with a nail gun but I think it's probably a good idea. Removing the air is easier than taking out the nails.
                    4) Wear hearing and eye protection. Directly applicable to nail guns in my shop.
                    5) Last thing you do before shooting is put your finger on the trigger. You don't carry a gun with your finger on the trigger. You put it along the side of the gun. Then when everything is ready for you to fire you put your finger into the trigger guard and fire. This seems to be the biggest safety difference for some people with nail guns. They put their finger on the trigger and depend on the safety. I don't think it's a good idea.

Jim
                    I agree with a lot of what you say. I think the difference is that with an air tool, you are working with it in different positions, whereas with a firearm, you have a dedicated target and there is little distraction as to holding the firearm.

I've had air guns discharge just when hooking up the coupler. Of course I get in the habit of pointing the tip away, but some may not. I'm not into splitting hairs about safe usage, as there are safe ways and unsafe ways to handle air guns. With the safety in place, and unmolested, is a safe measure that there will not be unintended discharge. I have a very light pull on my handguns, but my air guns have a lighter trigger pull.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Generally speaking it is complacency that makes any tool use more dangerous. It is not that I advocate disabling safety devices I do question thier need in some cases. Nail guns and firearms both can cause serious damage to people and objects and both should be handled with care and caution. The rules of safe gun handling applies to both in my book. #1 rule is they are always loaded #2 rule is never point in a direction that is unsafe. #3 is don't touch the trigger until ready to fire. #4 is know your target and what is beyond it.

The ultimate safety is the trigger finger. However Cabinetman has a point about air tools firing upon the air hose being hooked up. As long as you are following #2 then should an unintended discharge occur no one will get injured. Good call as well to bring this back up. Safety should be at the forefront of our minds at all times.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...