• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Harbor Freight Drill Press - everyone still happy

I need a drill press. I can no longer get by rigging my cordless. I read through some old reviews and folks seemed happy with the 16 Speed Heavy Duty Bench Drill Press from Harbor Freight (central machine). I don't normally buy tools from them because of a past experience with a compressor and nail gun (another story), but it seems there are some pretty positive thoughts on this one. Those of you who have purchased this one, can you provide an update on your satisfaction? Also, I open to similar alternatives if someone has one.
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Something that was discussed here a long time ago - A drill press does not take up too much floor space and this allows for drilling in the end of longer boards with a jig. I have the HF 16 speed floor DP, and also have the "no longer available" HF bench radial drill press. I prefer a floor model to a bench model.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Not sure what your compressor / nail gun experience is, but HF is known to have certain gems... Certain of their nailers and compressors are among them, however there is also some real garbage to be had... Other than a paint flaking issue with my 8 gallon compressor (which I have seen the same thing with a Campbell Hausfield which this appears to be the same compressor with a different color paint) and a user induced broken regulator, I have had nothing but good luck with that little guy. Good enough to fork over much larger cash for the 29 gallon machine...

Having said that, I do not have the HF model you refer to, but realize that so called HF bench top drill press is really a floor model with a short column, and it is the same machine as my Northern Industrial 16 speed floor model with different paint color, switch, and slightly different table / column. All the important stuff is 100% the same. I have had only one issue with mine, and that was getting a big hung up was enough to spin the chuck off the taper. It took me a bit to get the taper and inside of the chuck completely clean, and run back together properly. But aside from that zero issues.

Aside from the funny height on that machine, I have not heard a single negative thing about them. But you may want to wait for an actual owner / user of that DP to chime in with their results...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
        Something that was discussed here a long time ago - A drill press does not take up too much floor space and this allows for drilling in the end of longer boards with a jig. I have the HF 16 speed floor DP, and also have the "no longer available" HF bench radial drill press. I prefer a floor model to a bench model.
        +1. I agree. If I were to have only one DP, it would be a floor model.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

Yes, the bench type is nice,

but the floor model beats it all to pieces when you have a long piece to work on. My brother-in-law bought the bench press, but he had a heavy duty floor stand he salvaged from an old, big fan. He thus mounted the drill to it and built a rack to use with it. But by all means, if you can spring for the floor model, do so.
          Roger

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

I know that it's getting a little redundant ... I am totally pleased with my floor model HF 16-speed DP. And yes - get the floor model and mount it on a mobile base if you are short on space. It was a deal at $179 when I bought it about 15 years ago.

Had to replace the switch on mine twice. Replacement is about $2.00 through HF, so buy a few if you need to replace.

- Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

To be honest, the floor space of a floor model seems wasted out of the box when you don't need the full column length. HOWEVER, a mobile base can be added, and a cabinet to live on that mobile base that can be detached can be built to maximize that use of space. That is one of my near term projects for organizing my shop. Not exactly a Rod Kirby approach, but taking some inspiration from him for sure!
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had a Central Machinery 38142 13" DP from HF for a few years now and have been really happy with it. Probably my highest quality, best performing HF item.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• BeauxTi
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2012
                  • Georgetown Texas
                  • Ryobi BT300

Is this the model you all are referring to?

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...ess-43378.html
                  Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                    • May 2003
                    • Orlando, FL, USA.
                    • BT3000

I should have been more exact in my reply. My HF 16-spd DP is the 1HP / 17" swing model.
                    http://www.harborfreight.com/16-spee...ess-43389.html

- Lonnie

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't know anything about that DP (seems to have a short stroke for a $350 DP), but this should help with the price....

Click image for larger version

Name:	hf25%.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	786136
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Knottscott
                        I don't know anything about that DP (seems to have a short stroke for a $350 DP), but this should help with the price....
                        good point about the stroke. I'd be looking for something in the 3.5 to 4+ inches range.

I think my 15" DP has a 3.25" stroke and I'm frequently wishing it had more...
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                          • May 2003
                          • Orlando, FL, USA.
                          • BT3000

Harbor Freight has misprinted the quill stroke on the 17" HF DP #43389 as 2-3/4" for years. The actual stroke is 3-1/4", same as Loring's 13".

- Lonnie

Comment

Working...