Irwin table saw blade 3 pack recall notification.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Irwin table saw blade 3 pack recall notification.

http://www.irwin.com/recall/

This falls under the category of a recall to protect people from OBVIOUS hazards.

Issue #1. Table saw blades sold in 3 packs typically get used one at a time.
    Issue #2. Table saw blades are supposed to have a series of sharp pointy edges to cut with.
    Issue #3. The plastic clamshell plastic packaging used with most saw blades gets extremely brittle when exposed to UV light, high temps or worse, both.
    Issue #4. A good number of woodworkers shops, and DIYers store their tools in non climate controlled environments. Exposing the blade packages to high heat and UV light.
    Issue #5. Gravity attracts objects to the object with greater mass. The earth (down) has MUCH greater mass than the saw blades (up) in question and as such the gravity of the earth can pull the saw blade through the brittle packaging posing a laceration hazard.

Now having said that, you'd almost have to be handling the saw blades in your shop naked for this to pose any real risk at all, and if you are doing that, getting cut by a falling saw blade is probably the least of the issues you need fixed....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

use all three blades together... make a 10" x 3/8" dado!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I would say to stay away from any multipak saw blades that have carbide teeth. I have seen several where the blades touch each other and have chipped teeth in the package.
      I was buying something recently at HF and a guy just down the isle from me pulled a blade off the hanger and the blade slipped out of the package and hit the floor right in front of his foot.
      He jumped back and said well that one is garbage. I thought to myself that it was probably garbage before he ever touched the package.

While I think that hanging blades in this manner is a better way to store them than stacking, that still isn't optimal. I have seen some really nice blade packages that actually protect all the carbide teeth from itself and the other packages that might get shipped or stored in any manner.
      Plastic that has a pocket for the blade and the blade is fastened in the center. Nice!
      Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I can't recall ever seeing a multi-pack of saw blades that were worth a hoot anyway. Those that come to mind are generally low quality...Workforce, Irwin, DeWalt Construction series, Avanti, Avanti-Pro, Skil, Craftsman, etc. If price is the driving force, I'd much rather put my hard earned $30 into a single good quality Freud Diablo, DeWalt Precision Trim, CMT ITK Plus, Oshlun, or Onsrud blade.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

If i drop a cement block on my foot, i could be injured...
          If i drop my laptop case on my foot i could be injured...
          If i'm cooking and drop a butcher knife on my foot...

I'm thinking about going into the warning label business!!

earl

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by greenacres2
            If i drop a cement block on my foot, i could be injured...
            If i drop my laptop case on my foot i could be injured...
            If i'm cooking and drop a butcher knife on my foot...

I'm thinking about going into the warning label business!!

earl
            In other words, life is hazardous to your health?!
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• vaking
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2005
              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Knottscott
              In other words, life is hazardous to your health?!
              I knew some people who actually died from it.
              Alex V

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by vaking
                I knew some people who actually died from it.
                Surely, there must be some laws we can legislate to prevent that!

Comment

Working...