• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

is this drill press worth it

this CL deal is now offerred at $185, and i'm sure i can get the seller to $150 for both units:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/tls/2900930371.html

i know the RAS is $100 turned in to emerson electric, but there are parts i want to scavenge from it. that leaves a delta 16 1/2" model 17-900 drill press ( http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Delta...ess-Manual.pdf )that i'd be getting for $50. i don't really need a DP that large, so it's probably a resale. estimated MV is......?
    Last edited by toolguy1000; 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You might want to re read that CL post. The Delta DP itself is selling for $165.00...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

that was before i spoke to the seller. he has lowered the package asking price to $185 and just wants to get these items, which belonged to a deceased relative, out of his house. so the question of current MV of a 16 1/2", 3/4hp delta 17-900 DP remians. any thoughts out there?
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I have the Delta DP400 which appears identical to this DP. It's a great drill press and originally retailed for around $350 at Lowes.
        Richard

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

Pretty sure that the motor is all they want to be returned on that saw and looks to have already been done. I have a very similiar DP I bought for $60 so not that good a deal to me ,but hey I'm only theorizing, who knows what you can beat out of folks up there

http://radialarmsawrecall.com/
          Last edited by tommyt654; 03-21-2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by tommyt654
            Pretty sure that the motor is all they want to be returned on that saw and looks to have already been done. I have a very similiar DP I bought for $60 so not that good a deal to me ,but hey I'm only theorizing, who knows what you can beat out of folks up there

http://radialarmsawrecall.com/
            the RAS is represented as operational. so is your estimate of current DP MV $60?

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

Operational in what manner, where's the motor?. The DP is prolly worth $135-150, I see a power chord and the carriage,but I can't see a motor on there anywhere unless its completely hidden from view(possibility), either way you have to send in the motor and carriage assembly to get the c-note and waits 2 months, I'd go for it if I was broke and desperate to make a buck, otherwise I'd pass as better deals are out there like your newly found Ryobi DP
              Last edited by tommyt654; 03-21-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'd say a working 16.5" name brand drill press in reasonable working condition should easily be worth $150. Generally over $300 new.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• frmboybuck
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by tommyt654
                  Operational in what manner, where's the motor?. The DP is prolly worth $135-150, I see a power chord and the carriage,but I can't see a motor on there anywhere unless its completely hidden from view(possibility), either way you have to send in the motor and carriage assembly to get the c-note and waits 2 months, I'd go for it if I was broke and desperate to make a buck, otherwise I'd pass as better deals are out there like your newly found Ryobi DP
                  The motor is clearly visible from the pic. Look at the top rear corner of the dp. Its there in the vertical position. I'd say that dp is well worth his asking price, let alone what he lowered the price to.....

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

Well I see you bought the Ras was there a motor on it or just a cage and arm?

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by frmboybuck
                      The motor is clearly visible from the pic. Look at the top rear corner of the dp. Its there in the vertical position. I'd say that dp is well worth his asking price, let alone what he lowered the price to.....
                      he's at $125 for the DP now. i'm was looking for $100. but it might be too big for my current setting. besides, i think the new 12" ryobi i just got on clearance @ HD will be adequate to my needs. i find there's a danger in this hobby of always seeking that next upgrade, even when it won't materially improve overall shop functionality.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by frmboybuck
                        I was talking about the RAS motor,not the DP

Comment

Working...