• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Drill bits

How did you assemble your collection?

I have some small, cheap sets that I've acquired since before I started getting into woodworking...B&D, Ryobi, etc. I can't say that any of these are complete. I'd like to build up a collection of the different kinds - including some self-centering and counterbore.

Where should I look for decent quality sets or individuals? Also, should I buy a set, what do you do when you misplace or break one? I'm not sure I need a 300pc set.

I was considering buying this set for some counterbore and centering, but don't know if it's a good deal - $34.99 through the 2nd.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10605
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Ok, first off, a confession. I hate hinges. I hate mortising them. I hate drilling holes for them. I hate everything about them.

Now that I have that off my chest ( ) The self-centering bits are a really good idea. The price seems ok (what were they thinking at $68.99?). The set seems to be very versatile, although I can see kind of fumbling around for the right bit. In the past I have used the kind that has a drill/countersik on one end and you flip it around to get at a drive bit. You don't set anything down, and hence lose it, but it's limited to one drill/bit drive combo.

Having said all that I could not use this set. I do a lot of small hinges with #3, #4, and #6 screws. This set supports #6, #8, and #10, which is good for most all cabinet and door applications, but not small boxes.

JR
    JR

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My first drill bit set came with the tool chest / set that was part of my books and materials when I got my Auto Diesel Technology degree way back when... They were Stanley Proto, USA made and not too bad. Sadly I forgot to keep my eyes on my bits at work one day and they grew legs and walked off...

I replaced them out of desperate NOW need with a Ti coated set from Ace Hardware under their house label. Never again.... Those hit the dumpster, and I grabbed bits piecemeal for a while from Vermont American, and Irwin. Those were pretty decent. I needed more sizes, and an index was needed, so I went and grabbed a set of B&D Ti coated twist bits. These too were USA made (tells you how old they are!), they are in a black blow molded case that has an actual hinge instead of just a weak spot between the halves... I still have that set. I have only broken one of them in, what I guess 20 years... I got a China made B&D replacement bit for it, but I don't like it...

My next set was the Irwin Speed Bor Max. I have a bunch of regular Speed Bor spade bits that are good and worn out, the Speed Bor Max bits come in fewer sizes, but they sure do make nice holes...

I of course moved on to Forstner bits when I got into more precise woodworking, and I initially had a small set of Porter Cable bits, with a few Freud thrown in for good measure. As I realized the sizes I needed, and the variety / increments, I opted for the BIG set from Grizzly, with a couple of specialty sizes from them as well... Real happy with this setup for sure...

I bought my self one of those speed change gizmo sets from Ryobi, mostly for working with countersinks and screws / bits. I use it a LOT and like it. Not great for super accuracy, but for projects that need to be done quick and dirty it is REALLY hard to beat this set... I think they are called something like Speed Lok, or Speed Load or similar?

Lastly, my lovely bride got me a Steelex Brad Point bit set with index for Christmas as kind of a surprise stocking stuffer.... I was really leaning to the Dewalt Pilot point set, but I am starting to like these just as much. We have the DeWalt set @ work for mount boards for network gear and such, and these Steelexes seem to be machined a bit more accurately....

If I was starting out brand new NOW, and have a few bucks to spend on it to get the variety I actually use...

#1. The Ryobi Speed Load 17 piece Ti coated twist drill bit set. (I FOUND the Home Depot page!). The speed load chuck can be sloppy, but if you directly chuck the bit to your drill, these have been nice and accurate so far...

#2. The Steelex brad point bit set. Some buyers have gotten dud sets / bits, so make sure you check them out when they come in! Like I said, so far no complaints on mine.

#3. Grizzly G7694 Master Forstner Bit Set.It's kind of like having the big box of crayons as a kid you know?

#4. Grizzly G1831 Large Saw-Toothed Forstner Bit 8-Piece Set (Woodstock International product, Grizzly item #). I have the 3" and the 3-1/8" for clock making. They didn't come with boxes, so I need to make them. This set also fills the gap between the master bit set and the end of the clock sizes...

#5. IRWIN 6-Piece Woodboring Tri-Flute Drill Bit Set otherwise known as the SpeedBor Max bit set. These are not what I would count as fine woodworking tools, but for making VERY clean holes in a variety of materials VERY quickly these can't be beat!. A word of warning though. Make sure you use a sacrificial backer when drilling with these, they do have some tear out...

#6. I can't afford them yet, but a good, large size hole saw set would be nice too... http://www.grizzly.com/products/Bi-M...s-10-pc-/H0902

#7. A good quality circle cutter. I don't own one. Maybe someone else could recommend one... One that could cut a disc clean through 2x stock would be nice...

#8. A good quality 5/8" twist bit with the hex shank would be good too...

Don't forget countersinks and other similar bits!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have numerous off size bits for pen turning and the 115 bit TN set from HF, in addition to two or three sets each of metric and fractions.

I have a machinist friend that has talked me into getting HFs 115 Cobalt set the next time I get a set. Their cobalt will beat a box store's TN, so he says.

I have a set of small Forstners up to 2 1/4 inch and then the large set up to 3 or 3 1/2. (Can't remember which).

AS a side mention, I have a drill chart that lists metric, inch, decimal, letter, numerical and gives comparisons. I posted it to my shop wall in Japan.

In making pens, I often need odd ball sized bits and this chart would let me find the nearest to what I needed, or if I needed to increase or decrease a size, what is the nearest to it.

I tried to post the chart but it is too long. I tried to upload as an attachment but it said I could not as it was too large as a PDF (78KB). If anyone wants the chart, PM me with your email address and I will send the PDF at 78k or the Excel file. The .xls file is 1.4 meg.

Great chart. All "letter" "number" and Fraction sizes are listed in MM also so that there is a direct comparison between the two. It is the most comprehensive chart that I have seen in a long time and I almost forgot, it gives tap and drill and pilot sizes also.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

The HF HSS set? I will admit, I like the price. But I was wary of buying bits from them.

The cobalt set is out of my price range at the moment.

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Ok, first off, a confession. I hate hinges. I hate mortising them. I hate drilling holes for them. I hate everything about them.
            Maybe a little problem with anger management- OTOH, I concur entirely!

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by JR
              Having said all that I could not use this set. I do a lot of small hinges with #3, #4, and #6 screws. This set supports #6, #8, and #10, which is good for most all cabinet and door applications, but not small boxes.
              I like using a hand drill or a small gimlet for the little holes.
              http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41329
              I'll use a transfer punch or self centering punch to tell me where to drill

I've been wanting to pick up one of these: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...180,42337&ap=1
              Erik

Comment

• Dal300
                Banned
                • Aug 2011
                • East Central Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Bits are like clamps.... you can never have too many.

If I happen to have to buy a set of bits that isn't high quality it goes in the "Visitors and Borrowers" area. That way when someone wants to use a particular sized bit I can let them borrow it and not worry about it coming back bent broken or dull... or at all.

My personal drill bits are a hodge podge of different brands and styles I've picked up over the years. They serve me well and I take care of them.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a lot of bits
                  Regular 118 degree twist drills:
                  13-Pc SAE sets 1/16th to 1/4
                  29-piece set to 1/2"
                  115-PC TN sets from HF fractional and lettered SAE
                  metric set

Brad point drills:
                  29?=piece set from Lee Valley
                  Carbide-tipped 7-piece set
                  7-piece set from Delta
                  a couple of the 29-piece sets from HF - not good, many of the points off center
                  Extra long 12" 7-piece set

135 degree twist bits
                  HF 29 piece set

Forstners
                  16-piece set to 2-1/8" from HF Drill master
                  5-piece set from Sears

Spade bits
                  A couple of sets of Irwin Spades

Auger
                  Shipbuilders 12" Auger set from Sears on sale

Tapered countersink bits
                  Flat countersink set

Later I'll say what I use the most

I keep a good set of 7 brad point bits 1/8th to 1/2" next to the drill press and that's what I use the very most, for woodworking.
                  I use the forstners a lot for woodworking - I'm glad I got the 16-pc set.
                  altho I have the 115-bit set, I mostly work from the 29 piece set and only go to the 115 piece set if I need a very specific size. either for wood or metal work.
                  I use the long (12") brad point set a lot for deep holes.

That probably covers 99% of what I do. I do like having the proper bits when i need them, though.

For a woodworker, I'd say a set of forstners, a set of 7 brad points and a set of 29 SAE bits up to 1/2" would do most of what you need.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2012, 11:45 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I have one of the cheap bits sets in the steel box that is 'you get what you pay for'. Ok for soft material but not much else.

On the better side I have the Rockler brad point set and a 3 pc self centering set.

For spade bits I got a Bosch set with the screw type tip when there were first introduced. (once it is the wood the only thing you have to do is hang on!)

I picked up a set of split point DeWalt cobalt bits for hard steel. Great for when you need to drill in hard steel but they can be fragile and I don't know of a way to sharpen them.

I bought a set of Fullerton(?) tapered bits and stops that see a lot of use.

My forstners are HF specials that have beem a good buy. I did splurge of a Frued 35mm for hinge cup holes.

I also have a brace, or three, with an set of antique Irwin bits complete with the 3 level wooden case.

Like most I have several partial sets laying around as well as a few that I got when we cleaned out my Mother's house.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Back in 2003 when I was "retired", I started buying the tools for a future shop. It took me a few years and it still isn't final or complete.

But that Christmas season had to be world record for "bargains"... Home Depot had a 20% on just about everything in the tool dept and Lowes had some great bargains too.

At Lowes, they had a "GMC" branded 300-piece bit set in a three-tiered storage box (2- fold-out drawers and a hinged top. It was priced at $75 and I had a discount coupon so I think I got it for a little over $60.

That supplies all the bits I normally use with my Ridgid DP. Believe it or not, they're still going strong and I haven't broken, lost or dulled a bit yet.

I also have several B&D small drill bit sets. I have a "Value Home" hardware store just up the road and for a while they were practically giving those things away. They limited in size, having a two or three dozen bits, drivers, etc. which I keep for use with my hand-held drill or drivers. I go through those pretty well, often breaking, dulling or loosing the smaller bits.

I have some spade bits and even some old (1962 or so) augers for use with the hand-operated wood brace I bought at that time.

I see that Garrett-Wade often has these 300-piece sets regularly for $100 and they have multi-piece sets of smaller drill bit sizes for around that price. Like my "GMC" these are probably all just rebranded bits from China or Taiwan... but so far I've been happy.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

I forgot to reply in my above post that I "GREATLY" increased my "working" drill bit collection with the addition of a Drill Doctor 750 about 7 years ago!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

I found a markdown at Lowes this morning, but it looks like its been this price for awhile. Since I use up the small bits the most, this seems like a good choice until I decide I'm ready to invest in a good set.

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_176028-35...amp;facetInfo=

Think I will grab that Rockler set on Tuesday and be set for awhile. The tapered bits are $25 by themselves at HD.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I forgot to mention above that I have broken very few bits lately, so my sets are still for the most part complete, and still quite sharp. As I have lost, dulled or broken bits, I have replaced them with as comparable as possible. I tried replacing the 1/8" B&D Ti bit with a current version and HATED it. Centers off center, and walk like a drunk down main street... I haven't replaced it yet as I am using the Ryobi 1/8" bit for now... But I also lost (somebody swiped it I suspect) the 1/2" bit from that same B&D set and I replaced it with a standard DeWalt Ti bit... I suspect this set will slowly turn into a DeWalt bit set in a B&D case...

I do still have a LARGE selection of loose Vermont American bits, but they are all sizes I go through a lot. In particular 3/32", I have about 15 of these left. I tend to keep breaking these when working on metal projects...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you do a lot of metalworking, you should invest in a drill doctor like Hank Lee suggests. Best way for an amateur to sharpen the bits... its tricky to get the right touch with a grinder. Dave, having sharp bits will keep you from breaking them on metalwork... they don't cut when dull so you bear down and then snap! Its a joy drilling metal and having the shavings come off a sharp bit!

After a session of metal drilling I always sharpen the bits I used.

Look for a Drill Doctor on sale or clearance...
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...