• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Help in picking out new Router table

If you were to purchase a new router table and didn't have to "cheap it out", (upper mid level pricing) what would you get?

I'm starting to make the move of retiring my BT3100 (more to come about that), and will no longer have the 3100's router insert, I really want to get something a whole lot better, more accurate, etc.

Looking at what's around, I'm totally lost. The only thing I know is that (unless someone can convince me otherwise) I feel that a lift of any sort is kinda overkill feature wise.

Please help me out.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

A few critical pieces of info might help.

#1. If you are retiring the BT, are you going with a traditonal cast iron topped saw instead?
    #2. Are you pressed for space?

IF both of those are the case, you probably ought to seriously consider one of the cast iron extension wings. I personally do NOT like the Grizzly one, or actually any of them that do not accept a standard router plate. My favorite is the Bench Dog.

And yes, if you want to, get a router lift, they can be handy...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I'm a big fan of Woodpeckers router tables and accessories. That said, some of their stuff is too expensive for my use. I have a Woodpeckers aluminum router plate in a Woodpeckers top (mounted as a wing on my TS), but I use a Rockler fence. I don't have a lift, and I've never used one (but they look nice). A nice thing about Woodpeckers router plates is that they're all the same size use their Twist-lock rings (to my knowledge), so it would be very easy if you decided to upgrade to a lift or add another router plate for a multi-router setup.
      Bill

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

http://www.rt1000.com/joespecial/

Comment

• justaguy
          Established Member
          • Jun 2006
          • Chesapeake VA

I love my Bench Dog ProMax Complete Router Table System which includes the ProMax Router Table 40-031, Cast Iron End Cap 40-044, ProMax Cabinet 40-074, ProFence 40-132, ProLift 40-150, Porter Cable 7518 Router, and 4 Cab-Loc Casters.

Unfortunately, the full bundle listed above is no longer offered. You can order the top and cabinet together but the remaining pieces have to be purchased individually.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

consider a woodpeckers offset table with Incra Jig...
            standard jig shown here avaialble in 17 and 25" fence travel, they also have an ultra lite for less money. Showing the offset table and plate.
            http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_lsstandard.htm

I think Incra and woodpeckers used to have a close relationship - I'm pretty sure the tabletop and inserts are woodpecker at heart.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

I'll throw the Bosch RA1181 in the hat. I like mine allot.
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Separate table or integrated into the new saw?
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sciguy
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2009
                  • dfw texas
                  • bt3100

I have a Ryobi bench top router table from Home Depot, but a friend of mine got a Kreg free-standing table like this one and he really likes it.
                  HTH

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
                    That looks like a good value. They also use the same size plates as Woodpeckers, if you have or prefer their router plates.
                    Bill

Comment

• jeepman71
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2008

The RT1000 would be my choice if I had space for a sererate table. There are several people on Routerforums.com that have this table and rave about it.

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A friend of mine has the RT1000....I gotta say, it's pretty nice for the money. I'd buy one if I was in the market.
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

IF you want to make your own table:

I had to leave my router table/center in Japan due to space considerations in shipping. I did take the top and some parts off and will rebuild an almost identical table here.

It was a "two router" table and that is the point of this post. I found that when I was doing a project, I usually used two or more bits most of the time. On my first router table, I had a simple but good one, but I hated having to change bits and re-adjust the height again and again after changing bits. So I made that last table with two routers. That cut down on router bit changing frustration.

Most avid woodworkers have two or more routers and for a reason. When moving to a table, IMHO, the same reason for more routers apply again. It sure is nice to keep that one bit at the perfect height. I do not have a router raiser and I am sure that will help a lot. However, leaving one bit at a perfect height through out a project and still having the table to use for a different setup simultaneously - sure is great.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...