X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Chisels

On the rare occasion that I use hand tools, I find that I rather enjoy using my chisels. I definitely use them rarely, but they are such an asset to have. I think I've gotten my money's worth and then some out of my HF chisels that I've been learning on, but the time has come to step up to a more serious make. I want to practice my craft on M&T joinery this year, and I think these will only impede my progress.

I found a set of four Marples chisels on clearance at HD today for $20, and snatched them up. I realized on the drive home that these were made in China 'to Marples specification,' and not made in Sheffield. I'm sure these are better quality than my HF set, but by how much I'm not sure. The handles are a far sight better, that's for sure. Steel? Can't say.

I was hoping to get a full set of the Narex bevel-edge chisels for Christmas, but that didn't work out. Should I return these and start saving up for full sets of the Narex (bevel and mortise)? $200 is a fair amount of coin, but I don't mind spending it for some real quality stuff.

Edit - I'm not trying to compare the Marples and the Narex, but asking if taking additional time to learn on the Marples or investing that $20 in the Narex set.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • SHADOWFOX
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • IL, USA.
    • DELTA 36-675

I don't have it but I have been wanting to get these Stanley Bailey chisel set at Menard's (Amazon has them as well) although they are OOS. They come with a leather pouch as well.
    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

I don't know what to say about the Marples, but Highland Woodworking has a set of 6 Narex for $60 and 3 mortise chisel set for $30. You shouldn't need to spend $200.
      http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...spx?find=narex

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by pecker
        I don't know what to say about the Marples, but Highland Woodworking has a set of 6 Narex for $60 and 3 mortise chisel set for $30. You shouldn't need to spend $200.
        http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...spx?find=narex
        Highland and Lee Valley are actually very close on price when you compare the sets. I was going to go ahead and get the 10 piece bevel set ($120, $70 for 7), and the 6 piece mortise set ($74.50, the three included in the HH set is ~$40.

The reason I liked the LV set was it was a true Imperial size.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I have the Sheffield-made Marples which I purchased at Home Depot back in 2003 or 2004. They're not bad and I have used them to cut mortices... but they are not the right tool for that kind of a job, especially if you're working with hardwoods.

The Chinese-made Marples are something less entirely... and I believe it was either here or on the Ridgid forum that someone posted a few years back about their Chinese Marples actually fracturing.

I've grown to be a real fan of the Narex brand from Lee-Valley. My first set of bevel-edge chisels is now about two or three years old and I love them.

Last year (or was it earlier this year?) Lee-Valley started carrying the Narex mortise chisels, and they are really very nice IMHO. Good price too and you'll see the difference immediatly the first time you go to use them.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...37&cat=1,41504

Morticing chisels are made much heftier than bevel-edge chisels, and their design is for the levering of chips that you cut out of the mortice.

A bit off the subject perhaps, is that back in the summer I spotted "skew" chisels on the Narex home site and I wrote to Lee-Valley to see if they would consider stocking them. In late October, they did add these fine chisels to their Narex line-up. Again, nicely made and priced.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...66&cat=1,41504

I have no relationship with Lee-Valley, except as a satisfied customer!

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Is quality worth the price? All I can say to that is I have one Sorby chisel and one two cherries and a small assortment of contractor grade chisels. The keen edge on both is so far superior to the other ones it is like night and day.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

My set of Stanleys that I bought as a trade in for a lousy ex were made in England... I have seen the newer ones and don't care for them... I am sure the same is true for the Marples...

Go with a North American or English mfg set if you can afford it... I am not usually big on brands or anything, but I have been seeing some real junk in the area of chisels lately...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Last night I had some time to waste and went ahead and returned them. The handles felt really good in my hand, but if that's the best part I don't need them.

I keep finding myself looking at the LV Narex, so that must be what I really want.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I would buy the Mortise ones first, since you already have the bevel edge (HF) and want to practice M&T. Then you and your wife keep your eye out at garage and estate sales for better bevel edge ones. (rarely seem M&T ones at garage sales around here)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Not a bad idea. What are the most common mortise sizes?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

I went with the set when they had it on special, but when I was looking at individual (as it does depend on what your working on), I was looking at the 1/8", the 3/16" OR the 1/4" and the 3/8", to clean out larger ones after using a router.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Chris I saw those today @ HD myself and was gonna buy but didn't have a HF coupon on me. I think they are pretty good chisels for that price($16) with the HF coupon.
                        Last edited by tommyt654; 12-30-2011, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

I've got a set of 4 narex chisels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1"). After 6 years, they still perform wonderfully. I've got them sharp enough to do a lot of cuts with ease, and they take well to a hammer on the end if you need to. I'm sure i could get an even sharper edge on them if I had the tools to really sharpen them properly.

And FWIW, I've cut PLENTY of mortises with them (68 on a current bed project, 8 on a coffee table, plus tons of clean up work on a blanket chest) and I've never had an issue with them in that application, though I always hog out the mortise with a drill press first. If I were you, I'd get whatever set of bevel chisels you want/need, and save up for the mortise chisels when you can. You may find that you don't need them for your work.

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                          Not a bad idea. What are the most common mortise sizes?
                          I've only ever cut 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" mortises, though you may want to do 1/4"
                          Last edited by Wood_workur; 12-29-2011, 11:22 PM.
                          Alex

Comment

• Larryl
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Lorena, TX, USA.
                            • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                            And FWIW, I've cut PLENTY of mortises with them (68 on a current bed project, 8 on a coffee table, plus tons of clean up work on a blanket chest) and I've never had an issue with them in that application, though I always hog out the mortise with a drill press first. If I were you, I'd get whatever set of bevel chisels you want/need, and save up for the mortise chisels when you can. You may find that you don't need them for your work.

I've only ever cut 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" mortises, though you may want to do 1/4"
                            I agree with Wood_workur, I have the full set of Narex bevel edge and Narex mortise 1/4" through 5/8" and found that I mostly use the mortise to clean out after removing most of the waste on the drill press. I use them and glad that I have them, but I haven't used them near as much as I thought I would. I would buy the most complete set of good bevel edge chisels that I could afford, then add individual sizes as you need and can afford them. If you don't have a good sharpening system that might be your first investment as I used HF and Buck Brand (Home Depot) along with a Worksharp 3000 before the Narex. Good luck.
                            Last edited by Larryl; 12-30-2011, 09:54 AM. Reason: Correction, the mortise chisels are 3/16" through 1/2".
                            I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Benbrook, TX.
                              • Emerson-built Craftsman

You don't need a full set of mortise chisels to start out, one will do. The rule of thumb is the mortise should be 1/3 the thickness of your stock. For 4/4, a 1/4 or 5/16th is the norm, which would be 6 or 8 mm.

The set of 4 bench chisels should get you started.

I've been eyeing the Narex for a long time. The set of 4 used to be about $25. I guess they've gone up since being discovered.

I have a ton of the Sheffield-made Record/Marples chisels I bought when Record was liquidated, both the blue-chip and boxwood-handled. They're good, but nothing to write home about. I'm ready to go to something that holds an edge better.

Comment

Working...