Chisels

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • 2812
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

    #16
    The Narex mortise chisels from Lee-Valley originally (late last year, IIRC) came as a set of five (1/2, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4 and 3/16 th). At sometime earlier this year they added the 1/8; but all can be bought individually, just like the Narex bevel-edge chisels.

    I've found my Narex chisels to hold a much better edge than the Sheffield England-made Marples that I have.

    As far as size/heft is concerned, I've snapped a picture of three like-sized chisles (Marples and Narex bevel and Narex mortice) and post them later today.

    CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

    Comment

    • gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • 2793
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

      #17
      I too have the set of six Narex chisels from Highland, and a set of four Sheffield Marples from HD. I lucked out on the Marples, since I bought them before I really knew anything about chisels.

      The Marples are fine; they have a rubber overmolding on the handles and a steel cap on the end of the handle. They hold an edge pretty well, much better than the no-names I inherited from my father.

      The Narex chisels are an order of magnitude better; they balance better in my hand, hold a much sharper edge for longer than the Marples, and I like the "thunk" of a mallet hitting the wood handle better than the "ping" off the Marples' handle.

      If I had the skill, I could probably get the Narexes sharp enough to shave with. IMO, they're a bargain.

      g.
      Smit

      "Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

      Comment

      • cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 2812
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

        #18
        Here is a picture of the three chisels, so you can see the general "size" comparison:

        Think it Through Before You Do!

        Comment

        Working...