• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

what to do with ..

a damaged TS blade? i dropped my 10" c-man 40T combination blade today by accident. here is the pic; notice the two center teeth missing their carbide:

short of having it repaired (my cost was $10-12), any ideas on what to do with it? i could just keep it as my "just in case there's any metal in this material" blade. any other constructive ideas?
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, the first question is does it still cut in an acceptable manner... i.e. does it vibrate because its out of balance, and if not, try cutting, does it still cut reasonably smoothly for use as a junk wood blade? If the rest of the teeth are dull its probably a pice of trash but if the rest of the teeth are sharp it may still cut OK.

Fixing teeth on a $10 blade (when new) doesn't seem to make much sense as it'll probably be $5 per tooth to repair. if it doesn't spin or cut well, then make a clock face out of it or pitch it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If it still cuts, great, but it'd be wise to have the other teeth checked for cracking.

IIRC, that's the Craftsman Pro 32808 that was reviewed by Wood a while back, is made by Freud, and is the equivalent of the former Freud Avanti TK306 40T blade. It's approximately a $30 blade (a good example of one at that) ... I wouldn't let the fact that it only cost you $10-$12 (a great price!) stop you from have it fixed and sharpened, but if the repair costs get to be much over $20, it'd probably make more sense to just buy a new Freud Diablo for ~ $30.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I agree with the comments so far. It might be worth keeping if it still cuts and you occasionally cut up junk wood or pallets. Whether any other tips are affected, that may fling off while cutting is another consideration, or that the blade is worth putting the money into to fix.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Even though you see 2 carbide tips missing, this doesn't mean that's the extent of the damage. It could be slightly bent, there could be other teeth about to fly off, and you certainly don't want that happening on your watch.

For a few bucks, you can get a battery operated clock motor and turn it into a clock. Have a little fun painting the clock face, or if you have kids, tape up or otherwise protect them from the teeth and let them decorate it.
          I'm sure they would love to have a hand in something that would be in dad's shop.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

When your brother in law wants to borrow your miter saw, that is the blade you put on it for him.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

You could always cut it up for cabinet scrapers, marking knives, etc.
              Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have taken old TS blades that are uncoated, and cut them up to use as bracing on the underside of a pickup truck tool box for installation of large radio antennas (CB / HAM radio stuff) but that typically requires 1/2" hole, so circ saw blades are better for that task...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by Daryl
                  When your brother in law wants to borrow your miter saw, that is the blade you put on it for him.
                  thanks for the comments. if there is a wining suggestion, i think this is it .
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Daryl
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    thanks for the comments. if there is a wining suggestion, i think this is it .

Actually, I like my brother in laws, they are a great bunch and would go the distance for me and I for them.
                    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

Working...