• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Tool migration

I've noticed Craftsman tools showing up at my local Menards. Just smaller power (hand) tools. No large power tools yet. Anybody heard anything about this. I know Sears is in trouble
  • themachine
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cincinnati, OH
    • BT3100, General Intl. 220

I have not heard anything useful, but yesterday I saw Craftsman tool boxes being sold at Costco. That was a surprise.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Any pictures? It could easily be a licensing deal, as they did with Westlake/Ace hardware stores.
      Menards is also known for buying inexpensive lots (closeout merchandise), so I would be wondering if part of this was old USA made stock, before the imported Craftsman tools came out.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Warren
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Anchorage, Ak
        • BT3000

Check your local ACE store. Sears started doing this a year or so ago. I've not discovered the reason for ACE to jump on that band wagon as their branded tools carry the same warranty. I'm guessing Sears is striving to widen their market share. And, Craftsman is a trademark with a large, loyal customer base so other companies jump at the chance to carry it as long as the price is right.
        A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

AS retail outlets, yes Sears is in trouble, deep, deep trouble... As a corporation however, Sears is growing, partially due to the merger with K-Mart, and subsequent restructuring. If they are growing fast enough to remain a credible force in the marketplace, I don't know. I do know that for sure they have lost their once great status among global businesses...

Part of their strategy has been to separate some formerly only Sears brands and use them outside of Sears stores. I am noticing Craftsman for example showing up at Ace Hardware stores all over the area. Which means that they would have had to work out a distribution / resale agreement with Ace Hardware Corp (and that the franchisee's had to sign off on that deal). I am sure the same is true with Menards and other small to mid size chain retailers.

I would expect to see Die Hard batteries in other chain automotive outlets somewhat soon as that is a brand they haven't trashed too bad yet. I am not sure they can pull off the same trick with Kenmore however, as those are mostly simply rebadged Whirlpools and just about everyone knows it... Who would want to carry the Kenmore brand if they already have Whirlpool unless they somehow could make more $$ with that branding?

I am actually somewhat shocked Sears survived 2008-2010. I thought for sure they would have been one of the companies to go under...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sailor55330
            Established Member
            • Jan 2010

Interesting takes on SHC (sears holding company). I interact with them on a national level on the Kmart side. They actually have some pretty sharp people running the show right now. I have seen many of the strategies and campaigns and they aren't dead by any means. What they are is outdated when it comes to retail locations, but that is by design. Eddie Lampert was no fool. The word on the street was that after he bought Kmart for around $890MM and divested the unprofitable locations (they own most of the buildings and land that Kmarts are on/in), his net purchase price was around $10MM. Now everything is almost pure profit.

Still think Kmart/Sears is the sleepy fool? Don't get me wrong, they will probably never be a Walmart or Target, but they certainly aren't dead yet. In 2009, they had over $2B in liquid cash according to the annual report.

Just some info no real reason I guess.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

37 craftsman items at Ace (apparently available in stores only):

http://www.acehardware.com/family/in...igkw=craftsman

5754 craftsman tools at KMart
              http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10...aftsman&vName=

11,000+ craftsman items at Sears.com
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-03-2011, 03:24 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Great...now I don't have to drive to Sears.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

According to the Wiki:

In 2007, the company placed its three major brands in KCD IP, a "separate, wholly owned, bankruptcy-remote subsidiary". KCD stands for the three brands: Kenmore, Craftsman, DieHard. KCD IP then issued $1.8 billion in bonds that were sold to Sears' insurance subsidiary based in Bermuda. Sears would thus pay KCD for use of the three brands' trademarks.

Sears Holding now owns a number of independent companies or major parts thereof. I expect that at least Craftsman will be seen in many more places.

Wiki link

Bill

Comment

• Thalermade
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Ohio
                    • BT 3000

Saw the Craftsman tools in todays Menard's ad as well. Several years ago the local Kroger grocery stores had Craftsman tools at Christmas time.

I guess it is the tool name - Craftsman - that is more valuable than the store.

The local Sears Hardware store is going out of business. I was looking for a discounted tape measure (I have used a craftsman tape measure for 25 plus years) and the salesman said the store had not stocked any for nearly two years. They would just exchange with the least expensive Stanley that matched the broken craftsman tape.

Oddly enough, Ace hardware has a 25ft. Craftsman tape measure on sale right now............

Comment

Working...