• Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

220v power for the electrically challenged

this was shown in the current issue of shopnotes magazine:

120v to 240v voltage converters, international plug adapters, voltage testing equipment, residential Tesla chargers
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • tjmac44
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Omaha, Nebraska

Pricey and assumes you have, an know how to identify, 2 ouTlets that are out of phase. Can be done for fraction of the cost. Unless I missed some value added or safety feature.
    Last edited by tjmac44; 06-25-2011, 11:24 PM.
    Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tjmac44
      Pricey and assumes you have, an know how to identify, 2 ouTlets that are out of phase. Can be done for fraction of the cost. Unless I missed some value added or safety feature.
      Although you could identify two 120 outlets on different legs and combine them, I'm guessing this is not that cheap solution.

The way I read it is that this box contains a 120 to DC to 240V inverter that uses the power from two 120V outlets on different legs to provide enough power for a 20A 240V outlet. It would require 10-15 Amps from each 120V circuit to provide 20A at 240, assuming some loss of power for conversion efficiency. The specs refer to a patent which discusses switching inverter controls.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-25-2011, 11:49 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

If you have to have a leg from each 120 circuit, what is the need for an adaptor?
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Daryl
          If you have to have a leg from each 120 circuit, what is the need for an adaptor?
          A 240V plug in is more convenient than getting to the legs.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Daryl
            They might not be in the same room. Or, If you wanted a temporary or even prtable solution, a electrician might charge several hundred dollars to wire up a "legal", permanent 240V outlet from two 120V outlets on different legs even if they were close. More if he had to route it from another place.

OTOH, there might not be two circuits available in the same room, either, and even if there were, many people can't identify them easily for either being on two legs or being different circuits.

Overall, this device provides a solution for those who are unwilling to call an electrician (or unable to afford their work) or who maybe need a temporary or portable solution.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-26-2011, 10:19 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• tjmac44
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2006
              • Omaha, Nebraska

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              They might not be in the same room. Or, If you wanted a temporary or even prtable solution, a electrician might charge several hundred dollars to wire up a "legal", permanent 240V outlet from two 120V outlets on different legs even if they were close. More if he had to route it from another place.

OTOH, there might not be two circuits available in the same room, either, and even if there were, many people can't identify them easily for either being on two legs or being different circuits.

Overall, this device provides a solution for those who are unwilling to call an electrician (or unable to afford their work) or who maybe need a temporary or portable solution.

In the specs:

INPUT: 108 to 125 Volts AC, 60 HZ, non-GFI circuits, two circuits, out of phase
              Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

missed that!

reading it again, it does have circuits that won't switch on the output until the opposite phase inputs are attached. I guess no inverters.
                My bad.

Maybe it is an overpriced piece of crap.
                Don't buy one.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• 3thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Northern Colorado
                  • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

This device would work just fine in one shop out of a hundred. Most of us who do woodworking either know how to run our own 220, or know someone who does, and owes us for something.
                  DM

Comment

• 3thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • Northern Colorado

missed that!

reading it again, it does have circuits that won't switch on the output until the opposite phase inputs are attached. I guess no inverters.
                    My bad.

Maybe it is an overpriced piece of crap.
                    Don't buy one.
                    You could make one of these for yourself for about $20 worth of power cords, a receptacle and two plugs.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2006
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I think it's a cleaver solution if you want to be able to temporarily have 220 somewhere. Now if you wanted something permanent (like we do with our shops), then that's not a good option.

I am curious- what do you mean when you say the two outlets need to be out of phase?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                        I think it's a cleaver solution if you want to be able to temporarily have 220 somewhere. Now if you wanted something permanent (like we do with our shops), then that's not a good option.

I am curious- what do you mean when you say the two outlets need to be out of phase?
                        Your incoming power is normally 220V with a neutral.
                        So one leg of the 220 to neutral produces 110V. Usually your 110 circuits are balanced in the number of them that come from one leg or the other of the 220v.
                        This device requires two circuits, one from each leg to reproduce the 220V that comes into the house.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Your incoming power is normally 220V with a neutral.
                          So one leg of the 220 to neutral produces 110V. Usually your 110 circuits are balanced in the number of them that come from one leg or the other of the 220v.
                          This device requires two circuits, one from each leg to reproduce the 220V that comes into the house.
                          So, how is the average homeowner to know if the two plugs picked are from separate circuits. Is there some kind of check light or indicator on the unit?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            So, how is the average homeowner to know if the two plugs picked are from separate circuits. Is there some kind of check light or indicator on the unit?

That unit claims to not turn on the output if you have not plugged its two plugs into separate and opposite 110V circuits. I don't know if it has a light or other warning, but it will not work. I would assume a good design has at least 2 lights to indicate good or bad power setup as opposed to no power (no light).
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• 3thumbs
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Northern Colorado

The unit has a light on it that indicates when the two plugs are on different phases. This is a simple device, but it could lead to using a long extension cord for one of the phases, creating a whole new problem.
                              DM

Comment

Working...