• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

I can see this if you were a contractor with 220 tools and wanted to use them in a clients home. Kitchens have multiple circuits with both legs almost a sure bet.

Bill

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

So, how is the average homeowner to know if the two plugs picked are from separate circuits. Is there some kind of check light or indicator on the unit?
      To the best of my knowledge, electrical panel boxes are made such that adjacent circuit breaker slots alternate drawing power between the two main power legs. Thus, 220v circuits (e.g. range or dryer) with ganged double breakers, using two adjacent (out of phase) slots.

So, to me the easiest way of telling whether two circuits are out of phase- and capable of supplying 220v, is to check the panel; if they are an odd number of spaces from each other, they'll be out of phase. If evenly spaced, they'll be in phase (and not good for drawing 220v).

To be sure, use a multimeter (HF $4 is adequate) to test voltage- be sure setting is 750 AC volts (NOT DC!). Run extension cords, and insert one probe into the hot (narrow/right) slot of each receptacle (or attached cord). If out of phase, you should get the voltage you want.

Not sure how this overpriced gizmo does it- maybe just an indicator light sensing a voltage.

If I had the need, I'd save $100+ by buying a couple of 3 pronged 110v plugs, a handy box, and an appropriate 220V receptacle. Connect one hot lead (from narrow prong of each plug) to each hot connector on the 220v receptacle. Connect one neutral (wide prong) wire to the neutral- cap the other neutral. Connect ground (round prong) to the handy box. Caveat- I'm not a licensed electrician, although have done a lot of home wiring over the years.

Comment

Working...