• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

My "accident" was really not one.

Using a piece of 1/2" x 2" pine - I was showing my son what happens when you use both the fence and the miter (the wood binds - and shoots back).

It put a dent in my steel panel garage door (got more than I bargained for) ......

Just grateful that neither of us was in the flight path.

Comment

• nickg
      Established Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Marietta, Georgia
      • Ryobi BT3000

No debilitating injuries thank goodness, BUT..

This happened on a Radial Arm Saw, not table saw. I was trying to rip some
      1 x 6's on the RAS. The saw has a set of hold back pawls or fingers, and a guard surrounding the blade itself. The pawls however have to be adjusted depending on the thickness of the wood, they are not spring loaded like the BT3000 pawls.

Anyway, I had never tried this before (nor since!!). As I was making the cut, the wood apparently got pinched between the fence and the blade, and shot back violently, making a dent in a nearby sheetrock wall. That was the last time I ever tried ripping on the RAS. I use it only for cross cuts now. I use the table saw (with guards in place) exclusively when I make rip cuts.

I do like using the RAS for dado cuts as they are made 'face up" and it's easy to see what you're doing.

Comment

• charliex
        • Mar 2004
        • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
        • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I could not use the guard or Riving knife because the piece of flooring I was trimming was too small. I just nicked the end of my thumb with either the blade or the flooring when the blade tore it from my grasp. I don't do things like that anymore. At the time the BT was the only saw, beside a CS, that I had. I then bought a small band saw to deal with small cuts. The damage to my thumb was very small compared to the scare I received.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

For you guys that started the saw thinking you were starting your router...

MLCS has these, I got it for I think $20.00 shipped...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...