• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

follow up to the drum sander question

Okay, I'm pretty decided on the Grizzly 10-20 for the drum sander, and I know these things need very good DC. My 2hp HF unit won't power on any longer (starts to spin up and blows the fuse, I think it's the starter capacitor). So do I fix the HF unit, or get another unit entirely? I have a budget of about $200-250 for this. since that's what I'm saving on the sander. I did some looking at just a new blower (thinking I might be able to get a bigger assembly and attach it to the HF filter set up) but the better ones are $300+ from what I see.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Couple of quick questions...

#1. Do you have a separator for the dust collector? If not you will need one...
    #2. Do you have a Wynn cartridge on that HF DC? If so you are WAY ahead of the game...

You CAN try to fix the existing HF motor. I doubt it is the start cap though, that if I recall right simply won't get the impeller moving, Or is it humming and blowing the breaker? Then I would look at the start cap...

You might want to take the covers to the motor off and simply blow it out. Could be sawdust build up. (yes they get dusty...)

Of course you could pick up another HF DC with the coupon for $139.00

If I were to replace my DC today, and had the budget you do, AND had the setup I already do with the Thien AND the Wynn, I would be very tempted to pick up a Delta 50-760. Yes it is a 1.5 HP DC, but it flows with the best of the 2HP units... I'd simply move the Wynn over, and make sure the Thien fit under the stand. (Okay I would probably build a new one out of a 30 gallon steel drum or trash can)... Side inlet thank you very much, no need to introduce extra bends in the system...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Russianwolf
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

I do have a separator in line already. Haven't gone for the filter yet (always meant to and this will likely get me going on that too).

The impellor on the HF starts spinning, but blows the fuse before it can get to full speed. tried it on several circuits and the same result, so it's not the circuits or the breakers. The one it lives on normally only has it and the sump pump which is never on when I'm in the shop.
      Mike
      Lakota's Dad

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if it starts spinning then its probably not the start capacitor altho i suppose a wild scenario can be made where its responsible. (maybe where the centrifugal switch is incorrectly wired or malfunctioning so it shorts the winding to ground instead of removeing-opening up the the start capacitor shunt, or maybe the capacitor has an internal intermittent short that shorts out when the motor starts vibrating).

Highest current is usually drawn at the point of power being applied BUT maybe you have a bad breaker that trips after a delay because usually breakers are designed to pass an initial high current. I would suggest swapping if possible breakers within your breaker box to try another breaker of the same amperage. I can't really think of a likely scenario where that's a DC motor fault. The running current of a HF 2 HP DC is very close to 15AMps so if a breaker is a little weak it may well tripafter a second or two.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

+1 on replacing it with another HF. the repair of the existing unit would probably cost more than it's worth.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Well.... whet down and removed the extension cord and pulled it directly to the outlet to make sure it was getting all the power. plugged in and it stayed on longer, but "pop". I then went up to confirm with breaker it was and its only a 15AMP. I then found out that despite the labeling in the box, our Computer room outlets are on the same circuit as the sump also.

So I'll try swapping to a 20AMP breaker and see what that does.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by Russianwolf
              So I'll try swapping to a 20AMP breaker and see what that does.
              Forgive me if I misunderstand but...I don't think it would be a good idea to swap the 15 amp breaker for a 20 unless the wiring is rated for 20. That could end rather badly.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.

Originally posted by smorris
                Forgive me if I misunderstand but...I don't think it would be a good idea to swap the 15 amp breaker for a 20 unless the wiring is rated for 20. That could end rather badly.
                All the visible wiring in the basement is 12/2, and I have a feeling they used it for all the 110 circuits (why complicate things with different wiring types).

The DC is rated at 20AMPS peak so no clue on how I was running it on a 15AMP circuit for so long.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                  Well.... whet down and removed the extension cord and pulled it directly to the outlet to make sure it was getting all the power.
                  If the wiring is 12ga then you should be ok with the bigger breaker. What size is your extension cord? If you have to use an extension make sure it is 12ga or better.
                  Erik

Comment

Working...