• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Some used tool deals?

What do you guys think of a Jet 1000b for $125? It was from a cabinet shop and the age is unknown. Also a new in box 12" craftsman bandsaw for $200 (its the $399 model). I have neither b.s. or shop air filtration.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Any opinions on the Jet AFS-1000B for $125? http://www.amazon.com/708620B-AFS-10...8082566&sr=8-1

The bandsaw sold before I could get to it

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Chop,
      That looks like a good deal but I'd price a set of replacement filters as you probably will need them. I have a Delta and the dang bag filters are pretty pricey. Anyhow, good luck on it.
      As to the band saw, I'd look at a 14" Delta or clone- they are good machines. I had one of the last ones made in the USA for quite a while and it was a honey. I ran into a deal on a much bigger machine and didn't have room for two saws or I'd still have it.
      Best,
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks DP, bandsaws don't come up on CL that often in this area for some reason. I went to see it and realized that the AFS1000b is just too big for my garage

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Thanks DP, bandsaws don't come up on CL that often in this area for some reason. I went to see it and realized that the AFS1000b is just too big for my garage
          If you're talking the physical dimensions of the unit that's one thing but if you're referring to the capacity of the unit, I disagree. While the 1000B is capable of servicing a fairly large area it certainly would work in a smaller area as well. The only difference is that it would filter the air faster in the smaller area. That's not a bad price for that model as long as it hasn't been worked to death for years and years.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Couldn't agree more Dave, its just the physical size is massive and would protrude into the room in all directions undesirably. Without having the final footprint of the shop laid out it would be near impossible to figure if that beast would fit well.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Couldn't agree more Dave, its just the physical size is massive and would protrude into the room in all directions undesirably. Without having the final footprint of the shop laid out it would be near impossible to figure if that beast would fit well.
              usually they are hung overhead and don't take up all that much room...
              placed over the right tool (e.g. bandsaw, mitersaw, jointer, planer) then they won't get in the way.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• AlanWS
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Shorewood, WI.

I have a Jet 1000b for which I paid a lot more than that. It's in a fairly small shop with low ceilings. If you have the ceiling height you definitely want it overhead, but mine fits under the right wing of the tablesaw. The prefilter is a standard furnace type filter, and if you use good ones you won't need to replace the fine filter for a very long time. I use the 3M allergen removing filters, and put a more frequently changed cheaper one outside that. The timer runs it for several hours after I leave the shop each time.

A DC that collects dust at the source should be a higher priority, as that will prevent things from getting into the air in the first place. But these can, in time, clean up dirty air. I think of it as protection for my wife, who is allergic to lots of stuff, so that I can have my shop inside the house.
                Last edited by AlanWS; 02-20-2011, 03:20 PM.
                Alan

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Loring, that is a large part of my problem with the shop... getting it organized such that there should be a logical place for each tool. Alan, i do have a small DC and will probably make a separator for my shop-vac in the near future. I really like your idea of hanging it from underneath your t.s., I had never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

The AFS1000B is a highly regarded unit. And that is a really good price. It didn't make the final cut when I was in the market for an air cleaner mainly due to cost, and smaller filter surface area compared to my Grizz... However if my ceilings were lower, that would have pushed my tipping point right into the Jet...

As far as band saws are concerned, I am almost to the point where I understand seeing all these shops with a 14" riser block equipped saw, AND a smaller bench top model... Switching from resawing configuration to doing finer work on say band saw boxes can be a bit time consuming... A small bench top saw would be a really nice addition, but if I had to pick only one, I would pick one that could do resaw. I can always swap in a thinner blade to my HF saw, you can't put a riser or bigger motor on that C-man saw...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Well said DB, I haven't found anything recently that I could call a deal. The most recent listing is for a Delta 14" with riser, 12" resaw capacity, 3/4hp motor for $450, looks well cared for, but sounds a bit $pendy... I was thinking about calling the guy for an appointment to see it. What would be a good price for a model 28-203?

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

......... What would be a good price for a model 28-203?
                        Not $450 that's for sure. I would think that $175-$250 would be more of a realistic price range.

Comment

Working...