X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creaton
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2010

Delta/Rockwell 28-200 14" bandsaw

I'm in need of a bandsaw and found an approx. 10+yr old Delta/Rockwell model 28-200 on CL, asking price of $500. (see attached photo).

Any thoughts on whether this saw is worth buying (vs spending more to buy a new Jet or Delta), and also a reasonable price for the unit. I see on amazon, what I assume is the now Delta equivalent of this unit (28-206) for ~$600.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

offhand comments.
    Looks to be in good shape.
    looks to have the riser and a fence which are extra cost items. maybe worth $150 new or more.

Still a 10 year old saw - commanding a fairly high price.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Creaton
      Forum Newbie
      • Feb 2010

I've seen posts of people buying these models used for anywhere from $75-300.

Does anyone know if parts are readily available for this model?

-Jeff

Comment

• Creaton
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2010

Just found out that this unit is even older than originally thought. Built in 1965.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Creaton
          Just found out that this unit is even older than originally thought. Built in 1965.
          I was thinking if it had the Rockell name on it it was older than 10 years...
          But the Rockwell built Delta stuff was supposedly well built. The Delta 14-inch bandsaws are like the model that was widely copied and many subsequent Delta models use the basic parts and surprisingly there's lots of other 14" saw's that have same-fit parts.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Old iron is very sought after by many and those old Delta bandsaw are no exception. However that price tag IMO is way out of line. Think about, that motor could possibly be 45 years old. Check out the price of a new motor, deduct that from his asking price and haggle from there.

Comment

• Creaton
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by sweensdv
              Old iron is very sought after by many and those old Delta bandsaw are no exception. However that price tag IMO is way out of line. Think about, that motor could possibly be 45 years old. Check out the price of a new motor, deduct that from his asking price and haggle from there.
              Where's a good place to look for motors suitable for a bandsaw online?

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

• 3thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2008
                • Northern Colorado
                • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Originally posted by sweensdv
                If that saw is indeed 45 years old, you might have trouble in finding any parts for it. I suggest that if you can't haggle the seller WAY down, then save up for a while longer and get yourself a new Jet or Rikon with a new warranty.

Dave

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Here is one place, Grizzly.

Comment

• Creaton
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2010

I'm thinking that $200 is the maximum that I should offer. I found one without riser or fence sold that for $75 in 2006, and one more recently that sold for $200 including riser and fence.

Thoughts?

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

iturra design is probably one of the more knowledgeable parties in the US concerning band saws and related topics, especially delta and jet 14" BSs. they don't have a website but they can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/c/mmc3znn/iturra-design

their catalogs have a wealth of information and even a comparison test of a delta and a jet 14" BS. not too surprisingly, the delta won. (it's fairly obvious that the WMH tool group that owns the jet an powermatic brands is primarily trading on the past quality of those brands.) contact Lou iturra. buying anything from him gets you one of his catalogs, which is like a textbook on band saws, especially where buying used band saws is concerned. a little research beforehand will help prevent making mistakes like getting a jet or powermatic BS.

if i were looking for a BS, I'd look at grizzly and, believe it or not, some of the craftsman units which are rikon clones at sometimes really good prices. grizzly consistently seems to deliver good value with reasonably priced products that actually deliver what others try to deliver. the rikon 10-325 gets very good marks for BS performance, but it's $900. woodcraft usually takes $100 off @ certain times of the year, but that's still $800.

if you're budget tops out at $500, there are three grizzlys that can be delivered to your door for around that much. here's one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1...-Series/G0555P

if time isn't of the essence, keep checking CL. armed with the information if iturra's catalog (which has a "buying guide" for used BSs), an informed decision is possible.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

I was also going to comment on the age based on the Rockwell name still on the machine. The Rockwell name disappeared for a number of years and the line was just Delta. The old tools are solid and well made but, as was already mentioned, parts could be a problem. Bearings can be matched and tires should be a common size.

Best I would go would be $300.

I have the Grizzly G055. It is the same as the G055P except for the color and is one sweet machine. It comes with bearing guides, fence, and miter guage wich are extra on other saws. Also, the riser block kit is about 1/2 the cost of the kits for Delta or Jet.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

That seller is way out of line with that price tag... That thing is worth $300.00 max...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Creaton
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                            if i were looking for a BS, I'd look at grizzly and, believe it or not, some of the craftsman units which are rikon clones at sometimes really good prices..
                            By craftsman clone, do you mean that it was manufactured by rikon, or is a knock-off? How can one tell if a craftsman unit is a rikon clone? For example, I've seen this unit for around $550 new online, and seen a few listed on CL.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2401000P#specs

Thanks!

Comment

• 3thumbs
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • Northern Colorado
                              • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

Originally posted by Creaton
                              By craftsman clone, do you mean that it was manufactured by rikon, or is a knock-off? How can one tell if a craftsman unit is a rikon clone? For example, I've seen this unit for around $550 new online, and seen a few listed on CL.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2401000P#specs

Thanks!
                              I have the 10" version of this BS from Craftsman. It is exactly like the 10" Rikon that is on display at Woodcraft. I'd say it is definitely Rikon made.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...