• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

which is better?

Which one of these drill bit set is worth it?

rockler = store manager willing to sell me the 25 piece set for $20 (its a long story) OR

woodcraft = 170 piece set for $40?

I know the 170 piece will have a ton of extra pieces....just wanted to see what you guys thought...i had a few small conventional bits but they broke and i didnt want to buy the smaller ones so i thought, i'd get a good set this time around. I have not done a lot of drilling yet, but maybe the bigger set could come in handy down the road...

what about the quality between the two set?

Thanks,
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

For the difference in price I would go for the Woodcraft set.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Plus one on that. It has many multiples of the bits, which is especially important in the smaller sizes, as they get lost and break frequently in my experience. Nice to be able to just pull another one out of the box, rather than have to go buy one individually for $3-4.

The Rockler set goes to 1/2" in 1/64" increments, which means it has 8 sizes that are larger than the biggest in the Woodcraft set (3/8"). How much use you will ever get for 25-31/64" bits is debatable. (a 7/16 and a 15/32 would be in this range, but even if you needed them it would pay to buy these individually and still have the Woodcraft set)
      On the other hand, the Woodcraft set has 4 sizes under 1/8".
      Assuming you are a 'general user' and don't have a specific need for bits in the 25-31/64" range, I would think the Woodcraft set was a far better value.

I don't think the quality is going to vary that much at this price point, they will both be adequate for general use.
      It's kind of like buying a $30 emerald or a $40 emerald, the $40 emerald just isn't going to be that much better.
      AND you get a 'gen you wine' plastic drill bit gauge! It doesn't get much better than that!
      Last edited by herb fellows; 12-07-2010, 06:13 AM.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

One advantage of the WC set is the extra, multiple bits you get for a bit more money.
        The main advantage of the Rockler set is the extended range and the lower cost.

I think it partly depends upon how tough you are on bits. I virtually always use a DP rather than a hand held drill so I seldom break a bit due to off-axis force, dropping the drill or other reason, and I'm always religious about putting a bit back in the case so as not to lose one. Partly because I hate sets that are not complete.

Brad points are basically not sharpenable for the average user. But, being used exclusively in wood, I find I don't wear them out (e.g. make them dull) very often, obviating the need for multiple bits.

Having 1/64th increments all the way up to 1/2" is nice, if you make precision stuff and like to have items in holes that allow a slip fit with no rattling or looseness. OTOH, if you have a standard 118 degree twist set that goes by 1/64th to 1/2", you can always use it to wallow out the holes you precision start with the brad point.

Having multiple, spare bits is important if you hate sets with missing bits and you are a chronic breaker and or loser/misplacer of bits.

I think it depends on your style.
        Heck, buy both!
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-07-2010, 08:25 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• All Thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Penn Hills, PA
          • BT3K/Saw-Stop

The Rockler set. The Woodcraft stops at 3/8". I'd rather have a set that goes to 1/2" (Rockler).

The Harbor Freight set that goes to 1/2" is pretty nice, too. They aren't HSS, but they run more true than either the Woodcraft or Rockler sets.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i have trouble with my HF Brad point by 1/64ths Set... the points are not all concentric, you can see it when you chuck them up or even if you put the bit on a flat surface and roll it.
            Poor quality control...
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.
              • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Uhm, get both?
              "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Just my goofy brain talking here, but 7/16 and 1/2" bits rarely ever break... I would go with the Woodcraft set, and if you want the steps to get to 1/2" just buy the 7/16 and 1/2" bits piecemeal... Those multiple bits in the smaller sizes will save you a LOT of frustration when one of them breaks in the middle of a project...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Loring made a good point, as did JSUPreston.

Some of those cheaper sets are not worth it. I picked up a box of bits & a few drivers from Sam's a couple years back. Many of the bits are not straight, they break easy, brad points off center, etc.. There were multiples, especially the smaller bits. Did kind of suck to go through 5 bits and only have one decent one.

I picked up a set similar to the rockler one from some woodworking place, much higher quality than that other set I had. I'll use the cheapo set for general boring, and save the good set for holes where quality is needed.

I would want to take a close look at the Woodcraft set before buying. If they wobble when being rolled across a table make 'em a $10 offer.

This was pretty intresting: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/...ly-in-america/
                  Erik

Comment

• Russianwolf
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                    • One of them there Toy saws

http://www.harborfreight.com/115-pie...-set-1611.html

I got a set similar to this, No regrets.
                    Mike
                    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Penn Hills, PA
                      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      i have trouble with my HF Brad point by 1/64ths Set... the points are not all concentric, you can see it when you chuck them up or even if you put the bit on a flat surface and roll it.
                      Poor quality control...
                      Mine are nearly perfect.

Still bad Q/C, but I won and you lost.

Sorry.

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

I had a HF drill bit once get stuck while drilling some sheet steel.
                        I put the drill into reverse to remove and it untwisted on me.
                        They forgot to reharden that one.
                        As for brad points, I only buy the ones I need. I use regular twist drill bits for all smaller size holes.
                        The brad points work best in softer woods I think where bit wander would be more of a problem. Regular twists work great in hardwoods at less than 1/4".
                        Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Interesting point Lee...

I am curious. What is the general consensus on Brad Point / Pilot Point drill bits?

I have a set of B&D Ti N coated twist bits that have been fairly decent for a LOT of years since I was originally a mechanic. But they are old, and dull, and badly mismatched now due to breakage / bendage and replacement of bits.. I have been lusting after the DeWalt DW1969 29 piece set (I know, seriously high dollar for cheap old me), but I just can't seem to force myself to pull the trigger. I have had it in my cart on Amazon no less than 10 times...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                            Interesting point Lee...

I am curious. What is the general consensus on Brad Point / Pilot Point drill bits?

I have a set of B&D Ti N coated twist bits that have been fairly decent for a LOT of years since I was originally a mechanic. But they are old, and dull, and badly mismatched now due to breakage / bendage and replacement of bits.. I have been lusting after the DeWalt DW1969 29 piece set (I know, seriously high dollar for cheap old me), but I just can't seem to force myself to pull the trigger. I have had it in my cart on Amazon no less than 10 times...
                            Ah, your question is too open ended.
                            General concensus - yes they are types of drill bits.
                            purpose, material, sharpenability, pros and cons?

I try to have bits most suited for the purpose but then I'm sort of a gadgets guy and admitted tool collector.

I have
                            standard 118° twist drills
                            steel cutting, non-walking 135° twist drills
                            brad point drills
                            spade bits
                            forstner bits,
                            masonry bits
                            paper bits
                            Step bits
                            Long shank brad bits and twist bits greater than 12" long.
                            Ship augers

I have sets including metric sets so I can have precision sized holes to match anything.

and probably more.
                            Each has its advantages.

When you talk about sets that always scares me. Because sets of bits as some articles have warned can vary greatly in quality due to material, hardness, HT, coating, and you don't really have the tools to check them out. But that makes the cost vary greatly. Heck some article linked even said the standard sizes will be different than the odd sizes you use less.

because a set has a pretty box and a high dollar tag doesn't mean someone didn't put a cheap set in there. I guess one really needs to buy form reputable stores and manufacturers.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-07-2010, 11:27 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                              • BT3100

wow, thanks for the input guys, all of it is very useful. i'd like to get both, but LOML is going to kill me , but you never know what may happen....

i have not done a lot of drilling in a while, but when i was doing this cabinet job, i did a ton of pocket screws.....i dont own a drill press and i have been wanting to get some good drill bits..

the rockler range is what kept me from buying the woodcraft ones.....i will have to look at the woodcraft kit in person to see if they are straight.

Comment

Working...