X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Crafstman Bandsaw (Old but New to me)

Over the weekend I ran across a band saw at a yard sale that followed me home and somehow left my wallet $75 lighter..

I don't know how these things happen..

A 6" planer and 16" scroll saw also tried to hitch a ride but my wife insisted that they had to say behind and pick the pockets of someone else.

Looks like this one but it has a cast iron table, plus a fence and miter gauge...
    It needs a new blade but other than that it's a runner..

Anyone know if the HF/Ridgid 14" ball bearing blade guide blocks will fit it?

I'll try to post a real pic of it later.. (EDIT.. added pic of the real saw)

Test cut with the old blade.. ok but cut's slow..
    Last edited by sscherin; 08-24-2010, 12:02 AM.
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that looks like an aluminum table, not cast iron... try a magnet. [PS - changed my mind, your bigger pic looks rusty... must be iron]
    The 12" saws like that craftsman usually don't share a lot of parts with the 14" cast iron frame bandsaws.

But for $75, you could have a lot of fun.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-24-2010, 05:47 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I tried the ball bearing guides, and went back to the block guide assemblies with Cool Blocks on my HF and am MUCH happier with blade tracking... I was never super happy with the roller guides...

I have seen similar 12" Craftsman band saws with cast iron tables. I think they might have made a change to the table / trunion and gave it a different model # or something... Make sure yours is iron though. The aluminum ones are okay, but the iron are much nicer...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sscherin
        • Dec 2003
        • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Sorry when I first posted I was at work.. that was the closest pic I could find on google..

I just replaced it with pics of the real saw in my shop.. The table is iron for sure..

Thanks for the tip on the cool blocks.. I'll give them a shot..

I checked and it takes 3/8 x 3/8 blocks..
        William's Law--

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

That should serve you well. I see a lot of those saws in use... (My brother has one, as do several of my neighbors...). I would say you landed a good deal there...

Keep Suffolk Machinery in mind for new blades. Their Timberwolf blades really work nice...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sscherin
            • Dec 2003
            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Yeah.. I'll be calling Suffolk or Iturra on Friday.. I just need to pick what blades I want

I should order a set of cool blocks too.
            William's Law--

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

good looking saw at a good price. contacting iturra design is the best thing you can do for (a) your band saw and (b) your sanity in enjoying it. they know more about band saws and related items than almost anyone else. every suggestion lou has made to me about my 18" jet BS has improved it's performance.
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...