This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zepe

A good source

Personally I like Porter Cable routers. I have a smaller one for hand routing and a larger one for my router table.

Tip!

I buy most of my power tools re-manufactured and from CPO. They cost less, they've been completely checked out, they have a new product warranty and I've never had a problem with any of them. Virtually no tools are thoroughly check coming off the production line, but re-manufactured tools are.

http://cpooutlets.com/our-network-of-stores/

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

A lot of advice is already given, so not much to add.
      1). When used in your hands Plunge router is more universal since it can plunge as well as do everything that fixed based router can. However, fixed base is typically lighter and more balanced, so it feels better in hands. Plus I think it has more accurate depth adjustment than plunge base. Because of it I prefer to use fixed base for everything that does not need plunge action. Multi-base kit is the best of all options, you get plunge and fixed (and sometimed D-handle too, which is a close relative of a fixed base).
      2). Variable speed and lots of power is important for large bits. I usually use large bits in a table and avoid them in hand-held operation. For hand-held router variable speed is nice to have but not a must have. Power is nice to a certain point, above 2-1/4hp router becomes too big and heavy for hand use. In a table less than 2hp is too small to spin large bits. If you want one router to be doing multi-duty - I would make it 2-1/4hp kit (or around 12 Amps if power is given in amps).
      3). Sears sells professional multi-base kit (model 28084 - below is the link).
      This kit is made by Bosch for Craftsman, so it is basically same as 1617. It includes 3 bases - fixed, plunge and D-handle. You can mount one base in a table and still have fixed and plunge bases for hand use. Now on sale for $200.
      http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G18
      Alex V

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

All good advice.

To follow Vaking's input on Craftsman, that router is the big brother to the model I've been using with good success - the 17542 (also Bosch, I believe), which I have table-mounted. Powerful enough for raising panels and such. I liked it enough to get the 17543, fixed/plunge base combo, for "above table" routing. The 17543 is currently $99 on Craftsman Club discount.

I also threw a Skil 1825 in my auxiliary table, which works well there for a backup router, and I have two laminate trimmer type routers - one corded, the other cordless.

I guess that means I've hit the requisite 5 and can stop looking.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
          • Dec 2002
          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
          • Ryobi BT-3000

What's to add? Just more notes based on personal experience, but unless the OP is starting out do do some specific task, my guess is that he'll be working with small bits for roundovers and coves, plus some straight bits for edges and grooves/dadoes. I personally don't think that 1/2" is a must in that case (I've used three routers with 6mm or 1/4" shafts almost exclusively and don't feel unsafe so long as I don't try to bite out too much at one pass--and I've never broken a shaft).
          I'm also assuming he doesn't have a router table, so a plunge base is a must, and he should consider weight and personal response to its ergonomics; you certainly don't want a router that overpowers you, or you don't feel confident at controlling. I'm at the point now that I would like a bit larger router for some of my work, but it's not crucial; I've used a smallish Makita plunge router for 16 years, and the standard Porter-Cable model permanently mounted in my BT-3000 table for almost as long. I also use a hand-held Ryobi trimmer. I've used largish tongue-and-groove bits with 1/4" (or 6mm) shafts on both the Porter Cable and Makita without any problem, but as I said I'm not a heavy user, and I don't press it hard.

In sum, I'd pick one on it's basic specs and how it feels in your hand, learn to use it, then pick your next one.
          ==========
          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

ya .. A lot of good info here. Actually I don't think the first router is that important, actually. Either you won't use it that much, or it will be the first of several. I used to have a neighbor who had a router for every bit. But he made cabinets & furniture for a living, & he wanted to eliminate the setup time.

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Originally posted by gerti
              Just stay away from Festool, it's like crack!
              If he's looking to spend under $200, he'll be staying away from festool....unless he's just buying a ruler or a pencil.....
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by herb fellows
                If he's looking to spend under $200, he'll be staying away from festool....unless he's just buying a ruler or a pencil.....
                I think the festool marking systems start at $250
                Erik

Comment

• Mahoney

This stuff will route your brain...

Thanks for all the suggestions! Very helpful as I look to complement my newly acquired BT3000.

Any thoughts on the age of the router? There are several here on Craig's List that are older... including a 1985 Craftsman. I'm clueless about quality and function over time.

Predicting the future: Will I immediately regret a Black and Decker or Craftsman 1 HP older router, or will it work well enough to get me started?

Any other inside tips on searching through the used/Craigs List options?

Many Thanks...

EDIT: Picture!
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

• natausch
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Aurora, IL
                    • BT3000 - 15A

Considering their entry price I can't argue enough for the Craftman multi-base kits. They have amps, 1/4 and 1/2 collets and PC bushings fit on the standard base. The fixed base also offers above table adjustment, though you'll have to buy the t-shaped hex wrench.

Since you can get the 2 base kit for around $100 and the 3 base kit for around $150 trust me, you can't go wrong. Otherwise Ridgid, PC, Bosch, Dewalt or Makita are all strong. All three can be updated to a standard Bushing kit with a centering pin and a pair of new bases by the Ridgid Kit available at HD for $40.

Comment

• Tamarack
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2003
                      • Speedwell, TN USA
                      • BT3100

I would avoid an older Craftsman, they have a reputation for having a"self-adjusting" bit depth (The bit depth changes during use, even though you've tightened down the collet). I have one in a craftsman router table that I use for less critical tasks that has never acted up like this, but I've heard this mentioned many times.
                      Paul

Edit: I also have two PC690s, the Bosch two-base combo kit, an old PC 13 amp production router, and a Ridgid trim router.
                      If I had the opportunity to do it over, the only thing I would do different is I would have gone for the Bosch
                      trim router rather than the Ridgid for easier and more accurate depth setting capability.
                      Last edited by Tamarack; 07-26-2010, 04:39 PM. Reason: To justify my statement.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

If you get a great deal at a flea market or garage sale on an old Craftsman, you might not want to pass it up. I have several old Craftsman routers that serve me well.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

I still have a Craftsman that looks like the one in the picture - and it's limited to 1/4in shank bits. If you only plan to use it in the Aux table on your BT3 for light profile work, you might be ok with it, but most bits of any size these days are 1/2in shank... which drove me to the newer Craftsman models.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...