Something to watch out for. Dust Collection.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Something to watch out for. Dust Collection.

Long winded story made short. I managed to suck up a home depot bag when I powered on my DC last night (I still move machine to machine remember?), prior to hooking the hose up to the planer, well that bag went into the Thien lid, and straight through, stopping on the cross piece in the inlet of my HF DC. The air was still flowing so I didn't think much other than it didn't seem right, and sure enough, one pass through the planer at 1/32" of cedar and the hose and separator were completely stopped up.

I cut the cross piece out and bent the remaining tabs back in so they wouldn't hook on anything, including me.

So if you have a DC with one of these cross pieces and you suddenly seem to lose suction, check that cross piece. They apparently don't like Home Depot bags...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

and small cats.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      and small cats.
      .... I don't want to know....

Comment

• natausch
        Established Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Aurora, IL
        • BT3000 - 15A

Be careful about removing the crosses, they're there to prevent a particularly large chunk imacting the fan and causing serious damage to it.

Pulling the hose off is much less time consuming than trying to replace the fan.

Comment

• smorris
          • Apr 2003
          • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Fun ensued when I removed the crosspieces and a couple days later sucked a shop rag into the DC. It was like an unbalanced washer walking across the shop while it beat the rag around the housing. It was nice and clean inside though when I took out the rag.
          --
          Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm not sure i'd rather be picking items off the cross than having some of the possible items hitting the fan, colloquially speaking.

plastic bag might not be so bad, a rag as SMOrris described made the unit jump around. A hunk of wood could do damage to the impellor.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I removed the intake "strainer" from my HF 2HP DC within a few weeks of buying it. I found that the big fluffy chips from the thickness planer and, often, the jointer would quickly clog the opening virtually every time I used the DC with either of those machines.

Every now and then I'll hear a resounding thwack when a small knot or something like that smacks the impeller, but it doesn't seem to do any lasting harm (and I'm not sure the removed grid would have stopped such small objects anyway -- I think its main purpose is to prevent someone from sticking his hand in there while no hose is attached). As long as you don't use your DC as an oversized shop vac to suck up everything that lands on the floor, IMO the risk to the impeller is minimal.
              Last edited by LarryG; 03-23-2010, 03:43 PM. Reason: clarity
              Larry

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

I built a separator barrel to prevent such things. Works well in a plumbed system, but might get tedious moving it around much.
                Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  I built a separator barrel to prevent such things. Works well in a plumbed system, but might get tedious moving it around much.

Yeah, a Thien separator works pretty well. Like my 55 gallon build. Unfortunately not everything gets caught by the separator, and once the airflow drops to a certain point, the whole system gets jammed up...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

I have a screen or hardware cloth over the exhaust of my barrel, so if a plastic bag were to get in there, it would either get buried by chips or lodge on that screen.
                    When mine is half full, it has to be emptied out, otherwise efficiency falls off.
                    Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Eh, I can deal this way, just a learning experience.

Comment

Working...