• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

HF Clamp Guide?

Has anyone used the HF clamp guide (under the Pittsburgh name)? I saw the 50" for only $20 today, but didn't know if it is any good.

I didn't like the looks of the moveable head on the clamping end. It seems it would be hard to make square. Are all clamp guides like that?
    Joe
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by JoeyGee

I didn't like the looks of the moveable head on the clamping end. It seems it would be hard to make square. Are all clamp guides like that?

The movable head is a "feature" that facilitates making non-square cuts. They work well for square cuts too,.. once you have them lined up

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

I have taken long looks at the HF clamps. I mean all of them. The only ones worth buying are the wooden clamps. The rest fall well short of quality clamps like Bessey and Jet.

The wooden ones like these....

Last edited by sparkeyjames; 03-20-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
        I have taken long looks at the HF clamps. I mean all of them. The only ones worth buying are the wooden clamps. The rest fall well short of quality clamps like Bessey and Jet.

The wooden ones like these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4852
        In what way? I own Pittsburg bar clamps, and size for size they are every bit as high quality as my Jorgensens.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Joe isn't talking about clamps, but a saw/router guide that clamps on to the work piece.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I have eight of the aluminum bar clamps from HF, four of the 48" and four of the adjustable length (which I can't find at their web site, maybe they're discontinued).

These clamps are lightweight and aren't going to compete with the big parallel clamps out there in terms of clamping pressure.

Knowing that I can't rely on clamps to put a death grip on crappy joinery, I make sure my joints don't need 2000 pounds of pressure to come together.

I've been happy w/ them.

Every once in a while I look at the parallel clamps in stores and think, "good heaven these things are heavy."

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

You didn't give a link or a picture so i assume its this kind of clamp guide you're talking about:

most of those clamp guides like the All-in-one Emerson etc have a clamp which swivels a small amount to let you adjust the angle at which it clamps. You would need to use a T-square to square it up before you clamp it on. Then make the cut and it will be square.

Rockler sells these attachments to help square it up if you want to.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-21-2010, 01:32 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rcp612
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                • Bosch 4100-09

My local?? HF, (42 miles away), stocks the E.Emerson clamps as shown in Loring's post that are widely sold by just about all woodworking supply houses. And they are very reasonably priced compared to all the others.
                I have the 24", 36", and 50" and am very pleased with them.
                Last edited by rcp612; 03-21-2010, 08:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add link.
                Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Yes, I am talking abut the saw/router guides that clamp to the workpiece. This is the link to the 50":

They have different sizes as well. I think I am going to pick up a couple with 20% coupons. $16 for the 50" seems like a pretty good deal.

As for other HF clamps, I have several and have been satisfied with them.
                  Joe

Comment

Working...