• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

My unisaw won't turn on!!

My Unisaw stopped working just now. I was in the middle of some cuts, which means a lot of repetitive cuts. After a handful done, when I turned it on, it wont start.

I tried the non-contact power tester, and it shows there is power (as before) at the junction box on the TS. But when I press the green button, it just sits there.

So, what are my options now? I could open the box up, but don't think I can really understand it; will it be a straightforward fix ?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

There may be a thermal overload device in play. After the machine cools off, try it again. Hope that's all it is...

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Does it make any noise whatsoever?

Will your non-contact tester work through insulation? If yes, can you check at the motor to see if anything is getting past the switch?

I'm sure much more qualified help will be along shortly.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Am a bit sleepy, so shall not be turning it on till morning anyway. All the time to cool down.

No noise at all. It's as if the power-switch is getting depressed idly.

hmmm... come to think of it, maybe I should check if the button is okay...
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Well, whadyaknow?! The power-switch on the TS has a problem.

Both the on/off switches are mounted on the cover of the box, which is fastened with two screws at the top and bottom.

The plastic on the cover at the top that held the screw has broken off (see pic below). This allowed the cover a play, and the on switch does not make contact all the time.

For now, I have super-glued the piece back and shall screw it down in the morning; havta keep an eye on it - might have to replace it (if they sell some such).
          Attached Files
          - Aristotle

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My Unisaw switch is the same one and has the same problem. I just used a larger screw.

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Interesting; should keep that in mind if I need it whenever.

I feel for such a robust piece of machinery, this must be the flimsiest part. That whole box is thin plastic, and very cheap thin plastic at that. At the very least they could have had 4 longer screws at all the corners instead of just two short stubs of screw, mounted on thin-strips of plastic that almost seems designed to break.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I actually thought mine came with a cheap aftermarket switch, because its quality doesn't match the machine.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

I think that last year's "new" Uni has a sturdier switch and housing (at least it seemed so when I looked at one), indicating that Delta knew previous ones were "lacking".

Comment

Working...