• Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Are Skil Router bits worth a darn?

MMy wife had bought me a Skil router bit set from Lowes for about $100. They are carbide tipped and they look pretty nice, but before I break open the package, I wanted to see if I should return them and invest in something else.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

for $100 you can get a good quality set of thirty bits from MLCSwoodworking.com. I would also buy a set with 1/2" shanks if your router takes them. Much stronger and more stable.

You don't say how many bits in your set or the shank size.

as for quality the MLCS set is very good but not as nice as mucho more expensive whitesides, however, shipping is free and MLCS is super good about customer service.

Skil is a member of the Bosch/vermont american/skil/rotozip family - Bosch are very high quality but VA and Skil are considered the mid-lower end of the product lines.

That said, I've never tried the Skil bits so i can't give a direct comparison.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Skil bits, and MLCS bits... Take the Skil set back, and assuming you have Sales Tax where you are... toss a couple of extra bucks for the MLCS 45 piece set. You won't regret it...

Oh yeah, if your router has a half inch collet available, grab the half in set...

The Skil are okay, just not at the level of the MLCS. Agreed on the comment about Whiteside. MLCS makes nice bits, but Whiteside, Frued, Amana are the to drool for bits...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've never used a Skil router bit, but my Skil saw blades have been among the most disappointing of the 55+ I've tried. $100 for Skil bits seems like a lot of money for what are likely mediocre bits. I don't like to generalize about a brand's products, but my few dealings with anything Skil have left a poor impression.

On the other hand, having your wife's support and blessing in this hobby is priceless. If returning those bits dampens her enthusiasm even a little, it's not worth returning them. You know her best!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• windmill
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2007

I had that set...used it for a while, then sold it. The bits aren't bad, but I prefer 1/2" shanks. For the money, you can do better with a set from MLCS. I don't think you'd really regret it if you kept them, and they might be useful in the future for a laminate trimmer.

Comment

• headhunter636
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Federal Way, WA
            • Ryobi BT 3000

Thanks for all the help, I guess I should have expalained a bit more from the start. My wife bought me a new Bosch 1617EVSPK 2-1/4 router for Christmas and the only bits I have around are 1/4 shank from my old Craftsman routers. She had stopped by Lowes and saw the set, and thought it was a good deal. I think I will take them back and try out the MLCS.

Dave
            Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

with that router you'll be much happier with one of the 1/2" shank sets from MLCS.
              I think the 30-piece or whatever set for around $100 is a good deal and an adequate size. I happen to have the 66-piece set and the 30-piece set and virtually so far I've been going to the 30-piece box for all my needs, in about 6 years i've probably used 60% of the bits in the 30-piece set.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I guess I use a wider variety of profiles / sizes than Loring... I have the MLCS 66 piece bit set, and have used every single one of them, if for no other reason than to try it out. I regularly use probably 40 out of them. I like having the size selection...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I'd put my money into Amana.

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

If you want Whitesides, which are great bits, our member Holbren sells them with free shipping and a 10% discount for BT3 members.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                      I'd put my money into Amana.
                      Amana bits are really nice, but pricey... MLCS offer excellent bang for the buck for the hobby woodworker. However... If you get lucky and can get Amana's on cheap sale, they are really nice bits...

Comment

Working...