X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

Band Saw Mod

I was looking at an old David Marks Show that was his "Shop Tour" episode. He apparently took a 14" band saw, cut it in 2 at the throat & added a 6" extension in the throat so he could resaw 12" wide boards. Has anyone here ever done that modification? If so how did it turn out.

Here's a link to the video: http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/wor...our/39684.html
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Most, if not all, of the 14" cast iron-frame band saws have a riser kit available that does that; many here have them. It basically consists of a 6" extension block and a longer rod for the upper guide assembly. Costs $50-125, depending on the brand of saw. The saw's upper and lower sections typically bolt together at that point so there's no cutting involved.

I don't have the kit for my Grizzly G0555 because as I said in another thread, I don't do a lot of resawing. But I've thought about getting one, from time to time. One downside is that it trashes your existing blade inventory, so it's good to time the riser installation with the need to buy some fresh blades.
    Last edited by LarryG; 01-05-2010, 12:59 PM. Reason: updated prices for kit: my upper guess was too low
    Larry

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

Ahhh.. Thanks, That is probably what he has then, .. I got the impression from teh video that it was a custom modification.

Thanks

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Yes, you must also extend the upper guide column if you ever plan to use the saw for anything but re-sawing wide boards. David Marks can probably afford a dedicated re-saw machine, but not me... If you have a conventional cast-iron machine, a kit is probably available for it. If you can contact the manufacturer, they can advise. If not, call Iturra Designs in Jacksonville, FL. Lou* Iturra has probably forgot more about modding bandsaws than most people will ever know.

* Regards to LarryG
        Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back

I just went and looked at the relevant portion of the video, to refresh my memory of what Marks has. His riser block does have a decidedly homemade look ... like a short piece of tubing with a plate welded onto each end, rather than a factory-made casting. But if you look closely at the saw's frame halves, you can see the cast-in flanges where it originally bolted together.

UC, I think that would be Lou Iturra ... Also, I think some of the riser kits are somewhat interchangeable among brands. For example I seem to recall discussions about fitting the Grizzly kit to the Harbor Freight saws, or maybe it's the other way around.
          Last edited by LarryG; 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM.
          Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LarryG
            UC, I think that would be Lou Iturra ...
            Dammit! I used up my only senior moment for 2010, and it's only the 5th of January...

Comment

• BrazosJake
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Benbrook, TX.
              • Emerson-built Craftsman

Yep, definitely look for a riser block kit, first.

I dunno what the extra 6" buys you, personally. I think it weakens the frame to where the blade won't tension as well. Also, unless you have at least a 1hp motor, I wouldn't fool with it.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                Dammit! I used up my only senior moment for 2010, and it's only the 5th of January...
                Yea, but you'll probably forget about this one by the time another moment happens so you're still OK.
                Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
                  Yea, but you'll probably forget about this one by the time another moment happens so you're still OK.
                  Forget about what one?

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by BrazosJake

I dunno what the extra 6" buys you, personally. I think it weakens the frame to where the blade won't tension as well.
                    Where did you get that impression?
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

[QUOTE=LarryG;443923]I just went and looked at the relevant portion of the video, to refresh my memory of what Marks has. His riser block does have a decidedly homemade look ... like a short piece of tubing with a plate welded onto each end, rather than a factory-made casting. But if you look closely at the saw's frame halves, you can see the cast-in flanges where it originally bolted together.

...[QUOTE]

Yeah, that's how all the factory riser kits look - a piece of rectangular tubing with two metal rectangular plate flanges welded on the top and bottom. They mate with the pair of flanges already built into the "C" frame of most cast iron 14" saws.

A surprising number of the riser blocks turn out to be interchnageable since most of the 14" designs are copies of the Rockwell originals. But the additional hardware for extending the upper guide arm don't match up (and make a universal riser kit only a dream) because of the different rods used to raise and lower the guide.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Yeah, that's how all the factory riser kits look - a piece of rectangular tubing with two metal rectangular plate flanges welded on the top and bottom.
                        Umm, some of them, maybe, but I don't think all. The Grizzly block (which I have not seen in person, but have studied online) definitely looks like a casting -- even more so, in the PDF installation manual photo.

Brazos, I have wondered about that myself, as the riser block does introduce another hinge point into the assembly (two, where there was only one). But it's hard to argue with the success so many owners have reported after doing the conversion. I do think you're right about the motor size.
                        Larry

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by BrazosJake

I dunno what the extra 6" buys you, personally. I think it weakens the frame to where the blade won't tension as well. Also, unless you have at least a 1hp motor, I wouldn't fool with it.
                          This makes for interesting reading but I've yet to read any of the above complaint from some one who has actually installed the riser block. That includes myself!
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...