• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Air compressor advice

I got an add yesterday for Harbor Freight and they have their 3hp, 21 gallon vertical air compressor on sale for $129. It is the 120V model and is rated 7cfm at 40 psi and 4.9cfm at 90 psi if I remember right. I am using a Bostich rated about half of this at the moment. It works fine for nailers but I also have a Wagner HVLP conversion gun and it just flat out wouldn't work at the end of the last project. I'm hoping some of the problem was dried paint in the bleed to the cup but I am also thinking my compressor was marginal to begin with and has gotten worse with age.

Anyway, anybody have this HF compressor or any HF compressor and want to comment? It is the oil type which I don't love for spraying but I am really tired of the noise of my current oilless (especially when it can't keep up). Even though HF stuff is cheap, I want any tool I buy to work well and last. That's asking a lot at HF prices but if it will not function well for a long time, I would rather spend more.

Jim
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Hey Jim, I don,t claim to be an expert on this but I do have some experience. Back in the late 80s early 90s I worked for a compressor manufacturer here in Atl. We branded several comps under various names that were sold at Auto Parts, KMarts, etc. All were made out of the same basic parts, pumps and engines from China and tanks and valves from U. S. manufacturers. So my theory on compressors is if it holds air and gives you the necessary supply, Buy it.HF has a liberal return policy and their comps are comparable to any other company as far as I know, and I have several woodworking friends that have their units stationary and portable. The price sound good so I do not see any reason not to make the buy. Just my 2 cents, Tommy

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Jim, does that Compressor need a 20A circuit to run on?

may not matter to you if your shop is well supplied with electricity, but if it does, you might want to check.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

When the output of the compressor is marginal, or even close to the CFM's required by the tool, using it for a stapler doesn't really matter, as the usage is just short bursts.

For spraying, when the tank gets depleted to the point of "kick on", the compressor not only has to support the tool, but replenish the tank. I've done spraying with small output compressors, and if you give it intermittent breaks it can catch up. But invariably, the compressor will stay running and run hot. It may also output less CFM's if the demand of the gun is too great, which will hinder the performance by not supplying enough air. It will also supply hot air to the line, and create excessive moisture in the tank.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

FWIW Jim I painted the entire outside of my 2 story cedar home 2 yrs ago with this gun http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93312 attached to a Porter Cable 6 gal pancake style air comp. It worked flawlessly and I still use the same gun and comp. for spraying laquer and other finishes on wood to this day. They have that gun on sale from time to time for $39 and the comp your looking at I think should work fine IMHO., Tommy

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I have the little brother to that compressor, the 8 gallon model. I run my nailers, impact wrench, air ratchet, air hammer, and spray gun on it no problem. I do NOT run hard and fast on my tools though. Just short bursts. Spraying is a bit much for it, but not bad... Only thing that seems to get it winded is when I air up the 35" tires on my pickup with it...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jun 2003
              • Cocolalla, ID
              • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I've got that compressor. It's still pretty noisy, but it's served me well over the last last 5 or so years. Used it to run nail guns, staplers, impact wrench etc while building the shop. Never tried using it with a spray gun though.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                • May 2003
                • Orlando, FL, USA.
                • BT3000

Jim:

I have the HF 94667 compressor in the ad. $129 is a good price. I've used it with HF 90977 HVLP gun ... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...0977&Submit=Go

The gun works fine with this compressor. The compressor recycles pretty often. I stop occationally to let it catch up.

Re: reliability -
                Many people have said that they have used a HF compressor for years. I have not been as successful. I have had three models of HF compressors. Each stopped working for one reason or another after only light use. HF exchanged, refunded my $, or changed to a different model, so I have actually only paid for one. Your milage may vary.

Here is a recent thread re: the gun and compressor -
                This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

- Lonnie
                OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Thanks for the feedback. I would run it on my shop circuit which is 20A. I think it needs that (my current one does not). It is rated at twice the air at 40psi as my current compressor so I am assuming there would be a noticable difference when spraying. My current compressor runs constantly unless I wait several minutes for it to catch up (literally minutes, not what seems like minutes). Fortunately my Wagner has worked OK at the 6-8psi the gauge on the gun indicates I am getting but I suspect it would work better if I could give it 10-12 psi at the gun that I set the regulator at.

Jim

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Jim,

I've had a similar model for several years. It is still noisy, but the 21 gal tank means it doesn't run as often or as long.

I had the pressure switch go kaput last year. But, the whole switch assembly was only $8.26, and it arrived in six days.

I would go for it.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...