• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Ryobi "good stuff"

Posts questioning the BT3100 based in part on negative experiences with some other Ryobi tools make me wonder if we need a post a little like the Harbor Freight "gems" post. What I mean is that Ryobi, like Harbor Freight, sells both tools that I like and tools that I do not want. I think the better Ryobi tools are excellant buys and a good addition to any shop. The poor ones belong in the trash. Here are some of my nominations of Ryobi "good stuff":

BT3100 (table saw)
    AP-10 thickness planer
    BE321VS 3x21 belt sander
    R-500 plunge router
    18V drill, jig saw, reciprocating saw (I think circular saw is a bit weak)

The 18V stuff is still available but the others are not sold new at this point. When you see them used or rebuilt, however, I think they could still be added to your shop.

Jim
  • natausch
    Established Member
    • Aug 2009
    • Aurora, IL
    • BT3000 - 15A

Put the AP1300 on that list. In it's class it came close to the Rigid and DeWalts that were significantly more expensive.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Before they jumped the price on them up to nearly $270.00, the AP1301 13" planer, while far from perfect, is a great tool for the money, and can certainly hold its own compared to other sub $350.00 planers.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Add the JM82K Biscuit joiner in there. Love or hate the D handle, it's every bit as smooth, and functional as the MUCH more expensive DeWalt...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

BT3000 table saw
          The WDS1600 16/32 sander
          WDP1850 variable-speed drill press

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Add the R161K 1-1/2" 1/4" shank fixed base router. It's basic, and when I got mine, it was inexpensive. I beat the tar out of mine for a lot of years and finally passed it on to a friend that continues to beat it up. Almost wish I had held on to it for 1/4" shank bit work...

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

S652DK quarter sheet sander. I give this with the caveat that I have had good results with it, but other reviewers on Home Depots web site complain of the bars that hold the paper down breaking off, which was one of the problems I had with my old Makita. I have been very happy with this sander...

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I have to put the RA-200 on the good list even though it was recalled. I got a great 15 years out of mine.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Whaler's comment reminds me I still use my RA-200 radial arm saw. I saw the recall but mine shows no signs of cracking and only gets used for stuff my Hitachi 12 inch CMS can't do so I intend to keep using it until I see a sign of a problem. I would have to say it is one of the good ones, at least for light duty use.

Jim

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I would certainly add the Ryobi 18v impact driver to the good list. I use mine a LOT and it has been great
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Shep
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Columbus, OH
                      • Hitachi C10FL

I'm a big fan of my 12v LithIon drill. Most handy drill I've every bought.
                      I also like my 10" DP from them. No complaints on most of their tools.
                      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, let me run it down in one post. Sorry about all the individual posts, I was squeezing in between prompts for a software install earlier...

BT3100-1 (and its accessories).
                        RJ165VK Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw.
                        JM82K Biscuit Joiner
                        D46CK 3/8" VSR Clutch Driver Drill. Motor is a little noisy, but it works great.
                        BGH616 6" Bench Grinder. Not a variable speed, but it works really well for sharpening as long as I keep my head about me with grind cool cycles... Don't let the work piece get too hot.
                        AP1301 Bench Top planer. No AP1300, but a really good planer for the money.
                        R161K Router. Reliable and accurate as all get out. Not the best capacity in the world, but it works well!
                        S652DK quarter sheet sander.

One Ryobi tool I own that I have never been truly happy with is the CFS1503K Corner Cat sander. I know it's a finish sander, and isn't supposed to quickly strip material, but this thing is just too dainty.... And the dust collection on it stinks...

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

On the list BD4600 Belt Disc Sander. Bought it with my BT3100 and other than a drive belt, it has performed quite well. The miter gauge that comes with it is crap though.

Also on the list R175 plunge router. This is my only 1/4" router and it's a workhorse. The one flat side on the base makes following a straight edge very easy. The spindle lock for bit changes is also really nice. Both of my Triton's have spindle lock as well, but they cost three times as much.

Definitely off the list JM81K biscuit joiner. Very sloppy and inaccurate and the wobble of the blade made for really thick slots. Heavy rubber padding on the base means your slot position varies by how hard you push down to hold it in place. If you vary the pressure at all, the slot gets even thicker.

Also off the list, RS280 Random orbit sander. The handle vibrated off and the hook and loop lasted less than a year with casual use. Dust collection on it was useless as well.
                          Chr's

Comment

• natausch
                            Established Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • Aurora, IL
                            • BT3000 - 15A

I have the D46CK 3/8" VSR Clutch Driver Drill also. The durability is okay, certainly higher than tool shop, HF, craftsman and B&D, my only complaint on this is the housing for the chuck is a little too thin.

My largest issue with it is that the grip is specifically set up for right handed users, very uncomfortable for us lefties.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                              • Dec 2006
                              • hagerstown, md

It's a shame that most of Ryobi's good stuff is no longer in production. I've had my eye out for their woodworkers drill press thing for ages and have yet to find one.
                              パトリック
                              daiku woodworking
                              ^deshi^
                              neoshed

Comment

Working...