Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

Anybody have this Jet Drill press?

http://www.amazon.com/JET-JDP-17MF-3.../dp/B00004T9L0

A store near me has it on sale for under $300. I haven't looked too closely it may be for the floor model. I have seen mixed reviews so was looking for a fresh perspective.

Thanks in advance!
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I have had this model for >5 years now, John. It has a great motor, more speed choices than you're ever likely to need and a good quill travel depth. It definitely needs either fixing to a base or bolting down, due to the weight of the motor arm. The operating gear is smooth and obviously well made, the only downside is the table that's fitted as standard. This is little more than useless if you want to clamp anything across it, because of its circular form. However, with a little ingenuity you can easily add your own table top, as I've done:

If I had to buy one tomorrow, I'd get another in a heartbeat. Thoroughly recommended!

HTH. Any further questions, fire away!

Ray
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I don't have that specific DP, but I will say that compared to mine (Northern Industrial) this one appears to have similar specs. As you may or may not know many of the tools we use, and are sold under different brand names are actually the same items built in the same factory, just slapped with different paint and stickers, maybe an option or two here and there...

Compared to mine...
      #1. This one is fitted with a larger base. I am not sure it is big enough though. I have mine on a mobile base / mount board set up that widens the foot print for stability. I honestly don't need it mobile. I thought about anchoring it down, but opted against drilling into my concrete garage floor.
      #2. This one is fitted with a clip to keep the chuck key. That is a HUGE improvement. I added a Rockler retracting key holder to keep track of mine.
      #3. This one has the same goofy round table. Not bad for metal working, lousy for woodworking. Make sure you add a proper woodworking table. After buying a pre made one, I can honestly suggest you build your own.
      #4. The front mounted paddle switch is a HUGE improvement. Mine has a side mounted toggle, and it is hard to get to sometimes.
      #5. 3/4 HP is more than enough if you have everything set up right. Make sure you have a speed chart handy. I printed one out from Wood Magzine's PDF (sorry, no link handy right now...) and had it laminated at Kinkos. Set your speed up right, set your table square, your fence etc... and you are all set to go.
      #6. Work light is a HUGE bonus that mine doesn't have.
      #7. And the clincher should be, 4-3/8" quill travel. 3/4" more than my NI does...

For $300.00 that's a steal on a good drill press!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the replies guys. I went back yesterday to investigate further. Upon closer inspection it is the JDP-17FSE, NOT the JDP-17MF that I had a link for. If everything else were comparable, I would have jumped on it, however the FSE model only has 12 speeds vs the 16 speeds on the MF model. The real deal breaker may be the 3 3/8 quill travel vs the 4-3/8" on the MF. One of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade is for greater quill travel. My Craftsman 10" only has 2" so I'd be gaining a bit with the FSE. So I guess my question is now...Should I hold out and save for the larger quill travel? It seems to be the right move right now...or possibly the Rigid DP as it has 3 3/4" travel to get through dimensional 4x4s.

Why can't I have everything I want in a price I can afford!!!
        John
        To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

You can always keep your eyes out for Harbor Freight's black fridays sale.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Hoakie
            Thanks for the replies guys. I went back yesterday to investigate further. Upon closer inspection it is the JDP-17FSE, NOT the JDP-17MF that I had a link for. If everything else were comparable, I would have jumped on it, however the FSE model only has 12 speeds vs the 16 speeds on the MF model. The real deal breaker may be the 3 3/8 quill travel vs the 4-3/8" on the MF. One of the main reasons I'm looking to upgrade is for greater quill travel. My Craftsman 10" only has 2" so I'd be gaining a bit with the FSE. So I guess my question is now...Should I hold out and save for the larger quill travel? It seems to be the right move right now...or possibly the Rigid DP as it has 3 3/4" travel to get through dimensional 4x4s.

Why can't I have everything I want in a price I can afford!!!

my most frequent complaint with my drill press is, i wish it had more quill travel. A 15", 12-speed, floor-standing unit, It has only 3-5.8" Quill travel. Never have issues with swing, power or speed selection.

Sometimes, i don't even need to drill a hole that deep. But, if i want to drill a stepped hole with all sizes concentric, sometimes the smallest bits are only 2" long an the largest bits may be 5" long, and I still need to drill 2" deep. And of course the smallest drill is the deepest. Not to say it can't be done by releasing the table, elevating the table and then carefully realigning the table into position after locking the table to the column again, but its sure inconvenient and fraught with opportunity for error.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...