Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Dremel Multi-Max vs. Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool

I need one of these.

I haven't seen the HF version in person. The pic on the web page makes it look quite robust.

I saw the Dremel Multi-Max in Home Depot today. In person it seemed a little lighter weight than the picture of the HF Multifunction tool (if I'm allowed to make that comparison).

The HF tool is $40. The Dremel tool is $99.

But I'm still kinda tempted to go with the Dremel tool.

Am I insane?
  • fbrend123
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006
    • Michigan
    • Ryobi BT3000

Just picked up the HF version, last week. Haven't used it much, yet, but it feels pretty substantial. The small, flat saw blade rips through 1/4" plywood real quick, and leaves nice, smooth edges. Plan on using it for a project, this weekend.

Comment

• drillman88
      • Dec 2007
      • Southeast
      • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

There was a comparison of the Dremel, HF, Bosch and Fein versions of these maybe a month ago. I did a search but couldn't find the thread. If my sagging memory is correct someone gave the Dremel a bad review. I can't recall the particulars, but maybe someone else can help you.
      I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have HF version and have used it for several remodel-type projects. It works well and paid for itself within the first day by saving me a lot of time. I used it to cut some wooden planks, undercut door trim, make opening in drywall for outlet installation, remove grout to replace broken tiles and to sand the concrete after tile removal to prepare for new tile installation. Be prepared that different operations require different blades. What comes with the tool is only for wood or drywall. You will need diamond blades for grout, carbide file for concrete. I used already HF, Craftsman, Dremel, Fein and Bosch blades on my tool so all blades fit. I think HF version oscillates less frequently than other brands but it is hardly having any detrimental effect. HF tool makes 11000 oscillations per minute while original Fein does 30000. In any case the blade in my HF tool when making a good cut gets pretty hot - I would be afraid to increase speed risking blade overheating.
        Alex V

Comment

• OpaDC
          Established Member
          • Feb 2008
          • Pensacola, FL
          • Ridgid TS3650

I have the HF. Before buying it I did a little research (key word being little). One thing I remember about the Dremel was comments about it not being made for heavy duty work. Since I was buying one to help redo pool tiles, I wanted something that would take some beating. The HF has done me fine using the diamond grout blade. I think the Dremel may be more ergo dynamic, but I've had no problems handling the HF. Feel I have definitely got my money's worth out of it.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• HauntedBranch
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

As has been reported several times, there are numerous coupons in magazines (Family Handyman is one I have seen) which reduce the HF tool to $29.99. That probably won't change your mind about which to buy, but it might be a factor.

Phil

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I've had mine for about 2 months and have used it to cut sheet rock, 2" pvc pipe, ground out some floor tile with the diamond blade and cut the tile around plug-ins and a toilet base, i used it last week to flush cut off about 25 3/8 dowels on some storm windows that i made for my nieghbor. It is fairly noisey but works very well. I paid 29.99 for it from an add in a wood mag, (they scanned the add not cut it out.) the diamond blade did not come with it and was about $15.00 ???

I also bought the 2 year warranty as I do with anything electrical that I get from HF.
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

I'll give my opinion of the Dremel as I don't have the hf one.

Cuts wood great, sands fine and cut's nails off easily. I went to cut a screw off and maybe it was because I'd been cutting so many nails off but it really didn't do to well. I looked at the blade afterwards and it was shagged.

A lot of people have said it gets hot but I haven't found it to be too bad.

Overall, it's done everything I've thrown it at (except the screw) so I'm happy. Obviously bits are easy to get for it.
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Remembered I had some Amazon gift certificates left, so ordered the Dremel for delivery to the shop tomorrow. Which is ideal because that is where I need to use it.

I removed a planter that was built into the front of the store and found a bunch of rot (they built planters into the fronts of the building and then used garbage bags as liners--geesh).

I was able to get that fixed but as I rebuild (sans planter) I need to pare some existing trim in a corner, and I'd prefer to not have to remove it (and have it snap on me).

Comment

• stormdog74
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • Sacramento, CA
                    • Ridgid TS3650

I have the HF and it has worked great so far. I have used it to undercut quite a few door jambs, sand a lot of hard to reach areas (small areas), and the half moon blade to cut a few things I can't quite remember. It works great - and yes, you should be able to get it for around $30 with a coupon. So, you could buy three for the price of the Dremel.

Comment

• rcp612
                      Established Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                      • Bosch 4100-09

Just my 2 cents worth. I have neither tool but,
                      I do have 2 Dremel tools, both of which became obsolete with no replacement in less than 2 years after purchase.
                      For that reason, I do not suggest the Dremel brand for anything.
                      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Here's the link to the bad review. I was just really unimpressed with it.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=46670
                        Chr's

Comment

• affyx
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2007
                          • Mechanicsburg, PA
                          • BT3000 (sold), ShopSmith (bought then sold), BT3100 (just bought on CL)

I bought the HF for less than a set of blades for the FEIN. I bought it for one reason, to plunge cut vertically into baseboard for built-in shelves I am putting in. It works perfectly for that. Now that it's paid for itself, any additional use I find for it will be gravy!
                          JC

LumberJocks: http://lumberjocks.com/affyx

"I lost my little saw and now I can't cope."

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

The Dremel showed up this morning at like 9am, so first of all, kudos to UPS. I guess on Saturday those guys want to get done and start their weekends, can't blame 'em.

Already used it to pare the trim. Took longer to get the thing ready and plugged in outside than to do the actual trimming. I just used a scrap of the wood I need to squeeze under the trim as a "gauge" and plunged the blade into the trim I was cutting.

It cut very quickly, but this is cedar (SOFT!). So I have no idea how it will cut other woods. But as soon as I'm done with this project I'll probably try some scraps of harder woods at home.

The HF tool would have probably been a wiser choice. But I had to work today until noon. I'd have to drive to HF today and pickup the tool, and I wouldn't be able to finish this part of the project till tonight. So the UPS Saturday morning delivery came in handy in this case. Probably worth the $60 extra cost for the Dremel so I can finish earlier and get to a bunch of other projects.

Comment

• Hoover
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2003
                              • USA.

Went to Harbor Freight today, and picked up the Multi tool for $29.99 used coupon in Wood Magazine. They had a bunch of attachments for it on an end cap. A lot, not all of the attachments were on sale. Used my 15% off coupon on the diamond wheel.

Harbor Freight had at least 50 multi tools on display (Everett, Washington store).
                              Last edited by Hoover; 10-24-2009, 09:19 PM.
                              No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...