This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dbhost
    replied
    Can anyone give a quick review / opinion on the #93909 21 deg 10 gauge angle framing nailer? Also the 40400 2 HP 8 Gallon Horizontal Air Compressor.

Leave a comment:

• JSUPreston
    replied
    Went and dropped a little coin at the sidewalk sale today. My store had the 93239 6" digital caliper. On a whim, I went ahead and got it. Just took it out, and after zeroed out, it appears to be dead on the mark with my wife's pro level steel rule (graphic designer). All in all, wasn't a bad trip to HF.

For the first time in several years, I got to spend birthday/Christmas money on me. Got the calipers, 2 toggle clamps for a router sled I've been meaning to build, a set of forstner bits (not the ones recommended, but I figure what I got may be a newer part number-same description), brad point bits, the drill press table and the multitool. The store in Montgomery had quite a few of those in stock, and cashier confirmed they sell like crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1
    replied
    Thanks for the info...

Jim

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    I have a couple of the HF pipe wrenches. The red ones. To be kind, they did NOT make my gems list...

Leave a comment:

• parnelli
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim1
    Not really woodworking.....but does anyone know if their pipe wrenches are any good? Thanks!

Jim
    I've got the red ones. I thought that it would be a no brainer- how could a pipe wrench be screwed up?

They're not horrendous, but they certainly are a little sloppier than I'd like. I saw a guy today checking out needle nose pliers trying to pick out the best one. Maybe I should've done that too.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1
    replied
    Not really woodworking.....but does anyone know if their pipe wrenches are any good? Thanks!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Ed62
    replied
    Originally posted by os1kne
    I've been very pleased with this air compressor:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95386

And this roofing nailer performed like a champ for me this summer:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92359
    I also have that compressor. I consider it a good buy.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• Bill in Buena Park
    replied
    Didn't see these (if I missed, my apology), thought they might garner consideration, as I've had luck with them:

Item 40675 Universal Tool Stand (good deal when on sale for $19)

Item 66872 16 gauge air nailer (had good luck with prev. model that could take 2in nails - this one only goes to 1-3/4in.)

+1 on the MFT, and +1 on the bar clamps Alex mentioned. These 24" versions have also worked well for me:

Item 38183 24" Aluminum Bar Clamp
    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wood_workur
    replied
    90984 ratcheting tie downs
    These ratchet straps are nice. I've used them a ton to tie down anything and everything in the back of our truck. Only gripe is that one of the rubber pieces fell off, but that was easy enough to put back on.

38185 48" bar clamps

38184 36" bar clamps

I've got a fair number of both of those as well. They do the job, though I do often use them in combination with a k body or two. Only problem is one of the retaining clips fell off, but I managed to replace it with a jesus clip in a groove I cut in the shaft with a hacksaw. That shaft is what holds the head to the bar of the clamp. For what I paid they can't be beat.

Leave a comment:

• rja
    replied
    I bought this speed control: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43060

I am using it on an old Rockwell Delta 1" band sander that runs too fast for wood sanding. It cuts the speed nicely.

Leave a comment:

• BobSch
    replied
    Originally posted by os1kne
    I've been very pleased with this air compressor:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95386

And this roofing nailer performed like a champ for me this summer:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92359
    I've got the same compressor. Loud as heck, but it works. Some day I'll replace it with a 30-gal upright portable belt-drive unit.

Leave a comment:

• dbhost
    replied
    Originally posted by tjr
    Has anybody thought about a HF duds list to complement the gems list?
    I have been pondering that as well. As everyone knows, they have more than a few duds...

The trailer is a really good catch... There's more than a few guys out there that have based some really nice Teardrop Trailers on these. They do require a good sanding / priming / painting if you are going to have them outdoors 24x7, BUT then again... Pretty much every trailer I have ever seen comes off the assembly line with a lousy finish...

FWIW. I have seen this very trailer fully bolted, and squared up, followed up by being tack welded. (The owner is a welder, says he can't buy stock to build a trailer cheaper than the HF trailer costs...) with a shop built metal sideboard set, and WAY too much equipment in it for the rating. The fact that the bearings and springs put up with this kind of abuse is honestly stunning...

I do agree with the points above, and this is kind of universal for all of these types of trailer kits. Run the wire is split loom to keep it from damage, and give it a good rattle can paint job, or better yet, coat it with Epoxy paint and you have a trailer that will last WAY longer than you have a right to ask of such a cheap trailer... I have been considering picking one up and building a removable canoe tree for it so I can haul 6 boats to the river / lake... Actually, for MOST of my hauling duties, this trailer and a hitch on my Saturn would keep the mileage off of my pickup, and the huge gas bill away from my wallet...
    Last edited by dbhost; 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tjr
    replied
    I'll add:

97036 Nine LED Flashlights in a 2 pack, usually $2.99 on sale.

I've bought over a dozen of these. Great gifts especially for kids. Included AAA batteries are even pretty long-lived. Only prob is that here in Cards vs Cats country there may be fussin' over who gets red and who gets blue.

Has anybody thought about a HF duds list to complement the gems list?

Leave a comment:

• Photojosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Ed62
    4 or 5 years ago, I thought about buying a pickup truck for hauling things. But I wound up with the 4' X 8' folding trailer. It's at, or near the top of the list in good buys for me.
    I thought about suggesting the trailer. but I wasn't sure how far off "woodworking" we wanted. But since it's been mentioned...

The HF 4x8 trailer is one of the greatest deals in the store for the average homeowner. No, it's not a big solid welded beast, but you can be out the door for under $250-300 for the 12" wheel model (don't bother with the 8" wheels) and these things take far more abuse than anyone with an understanding of trailer safety should give them. Do some google searches for the motorcycle guys who use them as cheap transport for their bikes and roll for hours at 80mph on the interstate.

Keep the bearings lubed, run the wiring in some split plastic tubing when you put it together, keep it covered when storing outside in the rain and the thing will give you more years of service than you have any right to expect for the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

Leave a comment:

• Ed62
    replied
    I'm another one who appreciates the list, as well as the discussion. I have a few HF items, and have been happy with my purchases. But I do watch what I buy from them. Threads like this one help me make good decisions when buying.

4 or 5 years ago, I thought about buying a pickup truck for hauling things. But I wound up with the 4' X 8' folding trailer. It's at, or near the top of the list in good buys for me.

Someone mentioned the sliding miter saw. One of my sons bought it (I have a DeWalt), and he's been very happy with it. That's not to say it's the same quality as mine, but he has used it quite a lot, with no problems. He's using it for construction.

Ed

Leave a comment:

Working...