• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlie
    Banned
    • Jul 2009

Delta 50-760 dust collector with seperator

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM.
  • jkristia
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Simi Valley, CA

It looks pretty cool, but sorry for asking this, but what is the advantage of having this extra seperator. If it works correct then the can will fill up before the bag fills up, but isn't it more complicated to empty the can than empty / replacing the bag on the dust collector ?

Jesper

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jkristia
      It looks pretty cool, but sorry for asking this, but what is the advantage of having this extra seperator. If it works correct then the can will fill up before the bag fills up, but isn't it more complicated to empty the can than empty / replacing the bag on the dust collector ?

Jesper
      There are a couple of advantages to this setup. And if I had a 50-760 I would set it up almost exactly as the OP did...

Advantage #1. A pre separator keeps debris away from the impeller, theoretically leading to longer impeller and motor life.
      Advantage #2. A separator, whether pre separator like shown, or in the inlet ring, helps keep the filter, either bag or canister cleaner, thereby maintaining air flow, which is key to dust collection.

While the 50-760 is simple and easy to change bags on, most dust collectors aren't. My Harbor Freight 97869 for example is a PAIN to change bags on. Most of the ones I have seen with the regular buckle arrangement are a pain to change as it requires either taping the new bag up so you can put the band on and latch it, or have a helper hold the bag while you latch it...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Charlie
        I have been working on this for some time now, and lastnight I got a little bit closer to done. http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...0Sepirator.jpg http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...Sepirator2.jpg
        Looks good so far. Are you using a Thien baffle in that barrel?
        Last edited by dbhost; 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jkristia
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Simi Valley, CA

>>There are a couple of advantages to this setup.
          Ahh now I see, that makes sense

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
            My Harbor Freight 97869 for example is a PAIN to change bags on. Most of the ones I have seen with the regular buckle arrangement are a pain to change as it requires either taping the new bag up so you can put the band on and latch it, or have a helper hold the bag while you latch it...
            Stick three or four small rare earth magnets on the inlet ring, equally spaced (more or less) around its circumference. As you fit the new bag, briefly pry off each magnet and slip the lip of the bag under it. After you get the band clamp on, slide the magnets well clear so they won't stick to the band the next time you remove it.

Makes bag changing a breeze, even working alone.
            Larry

Comment

• Charlie
              Banned
              • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
              Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

No worries, the neutral vane works... FWIW, a side inlet Thien is not only possible, but preferrable to top loading it. I top loaded out of laziness. I have an extra drum that I want to try side inlet on. Basically the Thien works simlarly to your neutral vane by keeping the inlet stream swirling. The baffle is sized so that the 120 degree portion is in contact with the side of the vessel, and then the 240 degree portion is a "drop slot" allowing debris to fall out for the air stream, the baffle keeps the swirling debris in the vessel from re-entering the air stream and getting sucked up into the outlet to the dust collector.

Unfortunately that extra barrel isn't a project for me. I am walking a friend through the process of building a Thien cyclone, and he wanted to try the side inlet to do what you are talking about, eliminate the 2 unneeded 90 degree bends.

With your setup, you actually eliminate 4 90 degree bends that I didn't, and 2 of them I really can't without getting crazy with reworking the DC itself. They are...

Inlet hose makes 90 degree bend to connect to the street elbow, another 90 degree bend, outlet hose makes a 90 degree bend (actually a LONG 180 degree turn down) and then another 90 degree bend at the DC connection itself.

I really need to work on figuring out how to straighten these out. Going side inlet will get rid of 2 of the bends, but what about coming out of it? My DC is bottom mounted impeller housing...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

That's a good solution. I have a 50-760, and like it a lot. I'll probably build something like you have one of these days...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                    Stick three or four small rare earth magnets on the inlet ring, equally spaced (more or less) around its circumference. As you fit the new bag, briefly pry off each magnet and slip the lip of the bag under it. After you get the band clamp on, slide the magnets well clear so they won't stick to the band the next time you remove it.

Makes bag changing a breeze, even working alone.
                    yup, that's what I do with mine.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Charlie
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
                      Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

To be blunt, for now the system, even though I am using LOTS of flex hose, is working very well. I don't see a need for eliminating the bends yet...

LOML has been warned though. I am on the lookout for a 50-760 on Craigslist. If I find one cheap enough, in good shape, the 97869 is going to be sold and a 50-760 will drop in place. I will move the Wynn over to the Delta DC. My BIL has a body shop, and I have already talked to him about stretching the base of a 50-760 to allow for the 55 gallon barrel. I may end up being back to stock height even with the shorter Wynn filter...

The HF will get sold with a 1 micron filter, and the original Thien baffle I had in it installed. I want whomever buys it to have the best performance out of it they can for the $$.

Comment

• Charlie
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
                          Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 08:25 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Hadn't thought of that... Not a bad thing to consider though... 30 gallon barrels are just as easy to get near me too...

Comment

• newood2
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Brooklyn, NY.
                              • BT3100-1

The 50-760 is a very nice unit.Here is another installation idea. I flip the motor upside down for easier hookup of the 5" metal duckwork and the 55 gallon separator. The top mount ductwork makes it easier for adjustment. BTW, the 30 gallon drum may be a little too small for this unit IMHO
                              Howie
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	dust.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	784541
                              Last edited by newood2; 09-23-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...