• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Bench to Bandsaw

I have a 10 x 12 shop with a lot of stuff in it. I have the famous/infamous HF 14" bandsaw withe the Rockler table and mobil base. I have decide to replce it with a bench top saw. I need to make room as my pen turning activities need more room. I would like to make a cabinet/bench and put the saw on one end. What is a good bench top bandsaw say 12"? Any recomendations would be appricated. I will probably keep the HF but move it out to the garage for now. Just need something smaller to cut pen and bottle stopper blanks, both wood and resin.

Tom
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Originally posted by TB Roye
    ...good bench top bandsaw...
    Ouch! These words probably should never be seen together...

I'd probably opt for the Ryobi BS903 or the Rikon 10-300, which are 9" and 10" respectively (you're probably not gonna find a 12" benchtop saw unless you go to a 3-wheel type, and you do not wanna do that).

Remember also that you will probably want to mount the saw to the bench sideways, so take that into consideration regarding size and space.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I have the Craftsman 10" and love it:

I can't believe the price jump on this. LOML bought mine for me around Christmas when they came out, and I think she only paid around $80 (maybe it was $100).
      Joe

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The current Craftsman 12" (which is a 2 wheel band saw) and is rumored to be made by Rikon is very well regarded. Funny blade sizes though...

The Ryobi BS903 is a good little saw for a benchtop job as well.

Hope you don't get rid of the HF. Especially if you have the riser block with it... They are great for handling big bowl blanks and such. Not to mention resawing....
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Benchtop Bandsaw...

I have had a Dremel model 1100, 10", 2 wheel bandsaw for over ten years now. It has been a very good performer with 7" resaw capacity, 1/3 hp. motor, and two speeds (1,100 & 2,900 sfpm). Unfortunately, they are no longer sold by Dremel. It has a 2 1/2" vac port. It uses 72 5/8" to 73" blades, but they are pretty easy to find. I have the local saw sharpening shop make blades for this saw and the quality is much better than off the shelf blades. Delta, Rikon, and Grizzly all sold bandsaws using this machine's casting (aluminum), so you may find it around in some incarnation still. I had to balance the wheels when I bought it (actually, birthday present from my wife), and do the usual bandsaw tuning steps to set it up, but it has been rock solid ever since. You can do the nickel test on the table with the saw running. I actually use this machine a lot for trim cuts. I have to move my table saw out from the wall, or bring my miter saw into the shop to use them, so the band saw is far more convenient. Life is interesting in a 12' x 12' basement shop!

Update: I apologize for not looking up things prior to posting. I didn't realize that this saw was no longer sold by any brand that is common here. It was around for so many years, I thought it would still be marketed by someone. I guess nobody wanted a large resaw capacity in a 10" saw. Its still a good bandsaw though.
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM.
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
            The current Craftsman 12" (which is a 2 wheel band saw) and is rumored to be made by Rikon is very well regarded. Funny blade sizes though...
            Looked at one of these... It's a lot bigger than what one might think, and definitely too big to be described as a bench-top tool. You'd have to build a seriously stepped-down bench to comfortably use this guy, and the dedicated space would defeat the purpose for a bench-top tool. Might as well use a 14" floor-mount.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Jim Frye
              Update: I apologize for not looking up things prior to posting. I didn't realize that this saw was no longer sold by any brand that is common here. It was around for so many years, I thought it would still be marketed by someone. I guess nobody wanted a large resaw capacity in a 10" saw. Its still a good bandsaw though.
              Hehe, I have one, too. Just found it used last week. Been tuning it up. The tires were shot, I have some temp. tires on it, with permanent replacements on the way from Sulphur Grove.

Mine is the Skil version (HD3640). My Skil has a 1/2-HP motor, are you sure the Dremel is 1/3-HP?

Delta also had a version, the 28-195.

Are you sure Grizzly and Rikon sold these? Have any part #'s? Another source for replacement parts would be welcome.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I've looked at the Craftsman 12-inch and it's built really well, with all steel frame and a cast iron table. A little high-priced though, especially when compaired to a 9-inch, like the Ryobi BS903.

I have the earlier Ryobi BS902 which I bought about several years ago. It has performed very well for me and I'm quite happy with it. The newer BS903 has roller-style blade guides, instead of the keyway block style that mine has. Given my experience, I'd definitely buy the Ryobi again.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

I own the Ryobi BS903 - it was my first, and it has done some nice work for me, and for $99, I couldn't complain. But since I added the Delta 28-276 14in, I keep a 3/16 blade in it, for cutting tight curves in small pieces.

Note: I had wanted a Ryobi BS1001SV 10in, which was/is well regarded, but they were discontinued.

So if I were to purchase again, I might look at some different options, including:

- Jet 10in
                  - Delta 10in
                  - Rikon 10in
                  - Craftsman 10in
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• pbui3057
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • Mather, CA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    I have a 10 x 12 shop with a lot of stuff in it. I have the famous/infamous HF 14" bandsaw withe the Rockler table and mobil base. I have decide to replce it with a bench top saw. I need to make room as my pen turning activities need more room. I would like to make a cabinet/bench and put the saw on one end. What is a good bench top bandsaw say 12"? Any recomendations would be appricated. I will probably keep the HF but move it out to the garage for now. Just need something smaller to cut pen and bottle stopper blanks, both wood and resin.

Tom
                    I live in Mather and have the HF bandsaw I just picked up and a smaller craftsman 10" 21400 I bought used on Craigslist last year. I am fixing up the HF bandsaw but the craftsman works great after new blades and a tuneup. If you want to try it out, let me know.

Also this is supposed to be a good bandsaw if it is truly a 10" bandsaw http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1360596277.html

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by pbui3057
                      Also this is supposed to be a good bandsaw if it is truly a 10" bandsaw http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/1360596277.html
                      Yep, that is the Delta version of the Skil/Dremel I and Mr. Frye were talking about.

My only concern on the Delta is the guide arm. On the Skil/Dremel, the guide arm is steel with a real clever blade guard which "drops" into blade. I think the Delta may be an aluminum guide arm with a more conventional blade guard.

Don't know for sure, though.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Dremel 1120...

Originally posted by cgallery
                        Hehe, I have one, too. Just found it used last week. Been tuning it up. The tires were shot, I have some temp. tires on it, with permanent replacements on the way from Sulphur Grove.

Mine is the Skil version (HD3640). My Skil has a 1/2-HP motor, are you sure the Dremel is 1/3-HP?

Delta also had a version, the 28-195.

Are you sure Grizzly and Rikon sold these? Have any part #'s? Another source for replacement parts would be welcome.
                        Yes, I remember seeing the Rikon in ads in British magazines. I also saw the Grizz version in an old Grizzly catalog. That was quite some time ago, but they are gone now. I saw them shortly after Dremel and Skil discontinued theirs.

OK, I went down and pulled the manual on my Dremel and yes, it is a 1/2 hp motor and the model number is 1120. I must be getting feeble. I broke the drive belt on my saw some years ago and Dremel did not have any in stock anymore, so I went to the local belting shop with the broken belt and they sized it. I bought several replacements by Gates as they were about $2 each. It is a PowerGrip HTD belt part number 564 3M 09 for the Dremel saw. I had forgotten about the Skil version and it was out at the same time as the Dremel saw. I don't recall if it was a two speed saw or not, but a Gates distributor should be able to fix you up with whatever the Skil requires. As for bearings, I'd go to the nearest bearing dealer for replacements, but I may be long gone by the time that happens.
                        Last edited by Jim Frye; 09-08-2009, 06:25 PM.
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• kramer katt
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • SO CAL, USA
                          • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

10 in BS

I think the earlier posts are confusing the Craftsman 12 and 10 saws.
                          The 12 is not that much smaller that a 14
                          The 10 is the nice one reputedly made by Rikon and was a great deal at the old sale prices.
                          Havent seen it very low recently. You can order custom blades on line at a very minor premium
                          For my money the only small saw to consider is the very old Delta Homecraft 10in. from 1948 to about 1952. It is 100 percent cast iron and steel. (except the wood blade guard!!!) You can find one for under $ 50 and refurbish for less than $50 more. It will last your lifetime. The delta milwaukee (270?) and later delta 1970's have a similar cast iron frame but some plastic parts.
                          make sawdust
                          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

You want that small huh?

I know this sounds dumb. But why not a good jig saw then? The resawing a band saw that small does is doable with your BT, and curves can easily be done with a good jig saw with good blades.

One less bench top or floor model tool to suck up floor real estate...

Actually come to think of it, I am getting pretty good results from a lousy jig saw with good blades.
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

I was in Woodcraft yesterday and found a 12" Jet DP and 10 Jet Bandsaw that fit the bill. Little pricey at $299 each. I need to sit down and figure out a new layout for the shop first. You know really it all your guys fault. when I joined 4 or 5 years ago all I had was 10 X12 unfinished Tuff Shed and a BT3100 and now I have routers/table, drill press, bandsaw work bench cabinets, Shop Vac, compressor and all kinds of other toy talked about on this forum. So now I say Hi my name is Tom and I am a tool junky.

Tom

Comment

Working...