• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Stock
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Canada, Eh!
    • BT3100

Gas Trimmer recommendation

Looking for a recommendation on a Grass Trimmer. The one I have will not start and from the reviews most others of it's ilk won't either. It will likely go to the repair shop, but until then the weeds need some tough love.

Almost all the reviews I've read say they're all crap. I was thinking Troy Bilt, but they are made by MTD here and did not get good reviews. The Poulan Pro got about the best reviews, but it is a cousin of the Weed Eater POS I have now.

I don't want something with attachments (or a cord) and lighter would be nice. Something you can actually start would be good. But I don't want electric start, so I don't have to carry the battery around.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've got a bunch of older Ryobi attachments and my old Ryobi 2 stroke had a lot of problems with age. I got the latest version of the motor and I hate it. Starting is such a miracle.

I was looking at the Craftsman 4 stroke last year or maybe the year before. I believe all my attachments fit. There were a few good threads last summer on string trimmers.
    Erik

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

ECHO, STIHL, HUSQUVARNA, Are all great and expensive,but you will get longer life and less headaches than most all the others available. I have had an Echo for 8 yrs now and its never been in the shop and would recommend it highly if I could still read the model no. on the label but its worn off from use.

Comment

• robtonya
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2009

I just researched the whole thing myself, and came to the conclusion Stihl fit the bill! Tommyt654 is right. I ended up with the Stihl, for one because I said it has to be so easy my wife can start it (she actually does all the weedeating), and he wouldn't let us buy it until she started it. Try finding that kind of service at Lowes or HD. Another reason was we bought a different head on it where it is easy to load the string, and he sat down with her to show her how to load it. So far so good, and the whole thing was less than $200. I believe it is a FS-40 http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS40CE.html
        No complaints here, and I am paticular about buying junk as well.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My old homelite lasted a little over 10 years with no problems and woudn't start this sping. Toolsnow.com has factory refurbs for 69.00. I just bought a replacement and if it lasts 10 years, I'm still ahead.
          Chr's

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Trimmer.. bush cutter... chain-saw.... Make mine Stihl and I did years ago. As mentioned.. my local dealer makes you go the the service shop to take a quick course on how to start.. do's and don'ts. There may be other brands that might be good but I have no reason to try any other.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Originally posted by twistsol
              My old homelite lasted a little over 10 years with no problems and woudn't start this sping. Toolsnow.com has factory refurbs for 69.00. I just bought a replacement and if it lasts 10 years, I'm still ahead.
              I've also been using a Homelite for close to 3 years now (the straight shaft model), but mostly for edging the lawn on tight curves and cutting patches the mower can't reach. I really like its light weight, and hope it gives me several more years of strong running.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Daryl
                • May 2004

Mine is a Weedeater, about six years old. I admit it doesn't get heavy duty use, but it is reliable so far. For the price I paid, around sixty, I will have no problem tossing it when it breaks down and replace it with a like kind.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

I got an Echo last year and it's been great. I'm also a big fan of Stihl. My neighbor's son has a lawn service with ~ 10 string trimmers/weed eaters. I talked to him a bit, he basically said that it's hard to go wrong with products from Husquvarna, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa.

If you also have a chainsaw, etc. - you may want to look for a model that uses the same oil/fuel mix - just to simplify life a little bit.

I can see the logic with just getting a cheap trimmer every X years instead of spending 2-3x as much for a big name. After taking apart my old cheap trimmer for repairs a few times and seeing all the plastic gears, etc. I swore them off, but to each his own.

Good luck.
                  Bill

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

4 cycle!!!!!!!!

I've had "several" 2 cycle trimmers ... basically every brand mentioned above and several others ... I concede that Stihl is indeed a top brand BUT ... for my money I will never go back to a 2 cycle trimmer after having a 4 cycle (Sears) for the last several years ... forget about oil/gas mixing for one but to ME the real selling point is the difference in "power" ... I guess more correctly torque ... but compared to the many various 2 cycles I've had this is a beast ... it IS somewhat heavier than most 2 cycles ... but with an appropriate shoulder strap harness ... not a problem ...

So for my 2 cents ... at least consider a 4 cycle trimmer and I have to say my Sears brand has out lasted and out performed every other I have ever had.
                    Last edited by BadeMillsap; 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• rfisher7381
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Hudsonville, MI, USA.

My 25+ year old 2-cycle string trimmer finally died on me. I replaced it with a LEHR 4-cycle propane powered unit. You might want to check them out. I purchased from Amazon.

LEHR website: http://www.golehr.com/

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/LEHR-ST025DC-4...5032595&sr=8-1
                      Randy

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Mine died this spring too...

I had a Ryobi 990r four stroke trimmer for fifteen years with a bunch of the attachments. Last year, it would not run unless it was on half choke and had no power. Local shop looked at it and said it had no compression. Since it used no oil, I figured the valve train was badly worn. Parts cost was really steep, so I scrapped it. I replaced it with a TroyBilt four stroke unit that uses the same accessories. I paid $199 for the Ryobi 990r and $194 for the TroyBilt. The new unit has a wee bit more displacment and seems like it has more power. Starts on the second pull every time too.
                        Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Wood_workur
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Ohio
                          • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by b0330923
                          I've also been using a Homelite for close to 3 years now (the straight shaft model), but mostly for edging the lawn on tight curves and cutting patches the mower can't reach. I really like its light weight, and hope it gives me several more years of strong running.
                          I've got one, I think this is the 5th year? Still runs great, and its cheap so I don't feel as bad about neglecting the maintenance it should have (havn't put a new plug in, changed the air filter or ever run it dry for the winter) and it still works great. I just clean the air filter each spring and its good for the summer.
                          Alex

Comment

• tjr
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • at the falls of the Ohio
                            • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Ditto what Mr. Frye said, except I got about 13 yrs service from a refurb Ryobi 990r bought at Knox Lumber for $89.99. Replaced with a Troybilt 525cs from Lowes, $121 last December. Also looked at new Ryobi 4 cycle and Sears 4 cycle; seemed about the same as Troybilt for a bit higher price.

Since all my attachments were fine, I really didn't care whether I got a curved shaft or whatever. Took 3 tries to get one that worked - carburetors were way way out of adjustment - but it's fine now. If it even coughs during the 2 year warranty I'll take it in for a free tuneup.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

My 4 stroke Troy Bilt clutch failed on its 2nd year of light use. The machine starts and runs better than any of the dozens we have previously owned. The clutches are prone to wear out prematurely when using high torque attachments like chain saws, edgers etc. and operating the motor at a slower speed. You can replace the whole machine cheaper than the clutches, so beware of the temptation of running the 4 stroke at a comfortable half speed. The propane trimmer is tempting, not having to mess with any gasoline or worry about leaving fuel in the carb. for the winter. Has anyone owned and operated one long enough for a review?

capncarl

Comment

Working...