X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJD2
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Drill press alignment?

I have a Ryobi 10" drill press, and need alignment directions. My current project requires drilling precise as possible holes through 2 1/8" thick stock. However, the exit hole is further away from the end than the entrance hole. I am utilizing a drill press vise to hold the wood secure. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ron
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Check the table for square to begin with...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by RJD2
      ...the exit hole is further away from the end than the entrance hole....
      Are you saying that the hole is not exactly perpendicular to the top or bottom faces of the wood? If so, this could either be due to the DP table not being exactly perpendicular to the bit, or in the case of narrow bits, the bit could be flexing and bending in the workpiece.

Assuming it's the former, check with something like this.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I know my advice above stinks... I had to think about what I am saying here...

Using a level, make SURE your drill press is level.

Next using an engineers square, or other shortish (5" or so) KNOWN square straight edge such as a block cut on the miter saw and double checked for square with the engineers square, use that to check your table in reference to the bit. Adjust per the owner's manual. Not sure about that particular DP, but some have front / rear and left / right tilt, and if any of those directions are off... well...

Of course if it is a matter of bit deflection my only advice is use a thicker or shorter bit...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

use an engineer's square of the appropriate height (usually 3-4 inches) to check the front-back, left-right perpendicularity of a 1/4" drill bit chucked up in your DP and about 1/2 inch from the surface of the table. Adjust the table tilt to make it so there's no light to be seen between the bit and the square when the other side of the square is flat on the table and the vertical blade is flush against the bit.
          If this is straight it should be good to go.

if you still have problems it might be technique -Don't use too much drilling pressure on small bits - or you have to make sure your quill runs vertical. If using a vise make sure the vise is flat ont he table and has no tilt. You may have to use the engineers square on the wood to the bit same as you did for the table.

Clamp the vise to the table or better yet clamp the wood to the table and get rid of the vise.

DPs are almost a sure fire way of getting perfectly perpendicular holes.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RJD2
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

The table seems fine (no visible light) via checking it with an engineer's square, but definitely not with the addition of the vise. The vise seems to be the problem. Thanks for the assistance.

Ron

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Addition of a Woodworking drill press table, and appropriate hold downs will help in that area. MOST drill presses are designed for machine work, wood deflects a LOT under too much clamp pressure.... Which machinists type clamps / standard tables will apply...

I HAVE a Grizzly DP table that I got from Loring. A nice design that I am not happy with the materials on. This is NOT a comment on Loring, but rather a comment on how poorly the MDF table grizzly sells was sealed, Humidity is getting to mine BAD... I am planning building my own out of Baltic Birch ply this upcoming winter....

Also, go slow and steady with your bit, don't "shove" the handle down, it should take relatively light downward pressure on the handle, just let the bit do the work....

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN

Had the camera in the shop this AM, so I thought I'd give this topic one last unnecessary flog.

Many of us have one of these -- and if we don't, we should run (not walk) to Grizzly or wherever to get one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dial Gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	784277

Then, do this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DP Table Gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	784278

Rotate the chuck (by hand ) and watch the gauge.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

• cobob
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Rolla, MO, USA.
                  • BT3100

I did buy one of these guages. Have you figured a good way to use it to adjust the SMT, mitre slots, or Rip fence? I've begun to ponder but haven't done anything with it yet.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN

Originally posted by cobob
                    Have you figured a good way to use it to adjust the SMT, mitre slots, or Rip fence?
                    Not personally, but I've seen how other folks use dial gauge-based setups for such alignments. The key idea is to attach the gauge to a block, and then run the block along the rip fence, for instance, measuring distance to the blade along the length of the blade. Attach a piece of miter slot bar, and run the gauge along the miter slot.

Hopefully others with real experience will post, otherwise, you could google "dial gauge table saw alignment", or similar.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

Just in case anyone wants to read up on Tom Miller's suggestion, the process is called "tramming" and is a critical setup step for milling machines.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Any recommendations on a good dial indicator / jig such as that? I actually have use for stuff like that, and no, I do not yet own any such device...

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

HF sells TM's setup for about $20.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...