• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jgrobler
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Salinas, CA, USA.
    • TS3650

Wow, I ask a question, have to go offline for a couple of days, and received a wealth of information. Bernie, drilling blanks before turning was my major concern. I like your idea, but my tailstock can only extend for 2 1/2", which may be enough for most blanks, and certainly beats my current DP. I'll try, and just maybe I can hold off a little longer.

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Comment

• BerniePA
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • San Tan Valley, AZ
      • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by jgrobler
      Wow, I ask a question, have to go offline for a couple of days, and received a wealth of information. Bernie, drilling blanks before turning was my major concern. I like your idea, but my tailstock can only extend for 2 1/2", which may be enough for most blanks, and certainly beats my current DP. I'll try, and just maybe I can hold off a little longer.

Thanks to all for your feedback.
      That's another nice thing with the lathe, you don't NEED to extend the tailstock, just have it free, start the lathe and hand push the tail stock into the pen blank with your hand pushing the entire tail stock mechanism straight ahead along the lathe just like you would move it into position to a mandrel for turning, only you keep moving, and you can back up if needed to clear wood chips. Try it, you'll be amazed at how fast and true it cuts, I think I first ran across it on a video on you-tube somewhere on some subject or another.

I do take extra time to make sure the pen blank is lined up parallel in the chuck though, which is not difficult. I sort of sight down along the sides of the pen blank to the "tracks" of the lathe bed and then rotate the chuck head at least 1/4 turn and sight again before final tight down of the pen blank. Once that is done, it is a simple matter of turning on the lathe, bring up the tail stock, a slight push with my right hand and bingo, hole done!!
      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• BrazosJake
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Benbrook, TX.
        • Emerson-built Craftsman

I'm asking for this one for Father's day:

http://www.grizzlytools.com/products...ll-Press/G7945

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Floor or bench top DP, don't matter, this tip works for me. Spinning nut on depth stop is a PITA, so I took a drill bit stop that fits the threaded rod and using the hex key can put it in place in a snap. The hex key makes it so the stop won't creep. Epoxy a fridge magnite to the case to keep the hex key. Works for me!
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had the HF 38142 13" bench DP for a year and a half and have been surprisingly pleased with it....quiet, powerful, very low runout and vibration. Quill travel is ~ 3". There's a 20% coupon going around....got mine for $144 on sale.
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
              Floor or bench top DP, don't matter, this tip works for me. Spinning nut on depth stop is a PITA, so I took a drill bit stop that fits the threaded rod and using the hex key can put it in place in a snap. The hex key makes it so the stop won't creep. Epoxy a fridge magnite to the case to keep the hex key. Works for me!
              Good idea, I think Maybe I need to do this for mine that don't have the hub stops.
              It would address the speed and creeping issues.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jgrobler
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Salinas, CA, USA.
                • TS3650

Bernie, I don't have a drill chuck tail piece, but tried tonight to drill freehand, and was pleasantly surprised that the hole came out not too far from center on the other end. I think I can hold off on a DP for a little bit, and invest in a drill chuck tail piece, Thanks for that idea.

Johan

Comment

• BerniePA
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • San Tan Valley, AZ
                  • Grizzly 0575

Bernie, I don't have a drill chuck tail piece, but tried tonight to drill freehand, and was pleasantly surprised that the hole came out not too far from center on the other end. I think I can hold off on a DP for a little bit, and invest in a drill chuck tail piece, Thanks for that idea.

Johan
                  Yeah, neat, ain't it?? I guess you could do it with a pair of vice grips and a drill bit if you had to and were good enough, but the chuck makes it mucccch better!! The are not all that expensive either. i like having them in the taper for the tail stock and just sticking them in place when needed. Good luck.
                  Bernie

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                    I'm asking for this one for Father's day:

http://www.grizzlytools.com/products...ll-Press/G7945
                    I've never used one, but I have heard on this board and others that a radial drill press has alignment issues due to the movable head.

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gsmittle
                      I've never used one, but I have heard on this board and others that a radial drill press has alignment issues due to the movable head.

g.
                      well, one thing is that it has a lot of alignment to do relative to regular DP because of all the extra sliding and rotating things(the head).
                      Another thing to be aware of, I have heard from users (I think Rod Kirby used to have one) that the main swing adjusting tube tends to flex a lot due to the length and compromise accuracy when bearing down hard drilling some items.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jgrobler
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Salinas, CA, USA.
                        • TS3650

Originally posted by BerniePA
                        Yeah, neat, ain't it?? I guess you could do it with a pair of vice grips and a drill bit if you had to and were good enough, but the chuck makes it mucccch better!! The are not all that expensive either. i like having them in the taper for the tail stock and just sticking them in place when needed. Good luck.
                        I went to HF today and got one, and it works great. Much cheaper than a new DP. Now I have to find another excuse for a DP, but at least I have some time to come up with one
                        Thanks!

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

I do have the bench model radial from Grizzly.
                          I did see flex in it when the boom was extended out, but see very little with the bit about 10" from the column. I have to admit also that when I was seeing flex, I was using 2 and 2.5" forstners. That does take some pressure.

I now just leave mine setup at a specific angle. It cuts all my dust port holes. No flex at this position.
                          If it was my only drill press, I would still be happy with it. Never had any issues other than flex while extended.

The only other con is that it is a beast. It won't fit on a normal bench. I have mine skewed on the bench so the head doesn't hit the wall and I can still get at everything. It would be best mounted in a corner where two benches come together.
                          All in all, well worth the cost to me. It has done a lot of work for me and works just like the day I got it.
                          Lee

Comment

• BerniePA
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • San Tan Valley, AZ
                            • Grizzly 0575

I went to HF today and got one, and it works great. Much cheaper than a new DP. Now I have to find another excuse for a DP, but at least I have some time to come up with one
                            Thanks!
                            There ya go!! You're welcome, just passing on something I saw somewhere.
                            Bernie

Comment

Working...