What to do with the drill press chuck key solved!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What to do with the drill press chuck key solved!

Got one of these in today... Not sure how well it will work in the long run, but it's got a great strong magnet, a decent retracting assembly, and a good strong line. How well it will hold up over time is a good question, but I feel very confident using this to keep from having to fish around on my shop floor for where I put that dumb thing...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • bthere
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Alpharetta, GA

Pretty much what I do. Although I am always pretty careful about keeping the chuck key right at the drill press, it would always get covered with whatever, usually something you would swear couldn't possible cover it. I could spend minutes looking for the darn key in plain sight, also. Anyway, now that it is hanging on the lanyard, I never have a problem and it is never in the way.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

My Jet floor-standing DP came with one of those chuck keys with a spring-loaded pin in the shaft so that you cannot leave it in the chuck - ever.

Luckily, it also came with a mounting clip for the key on the RHS. That retractable gizmo is a neat idea, though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	jck01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	784181
      Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Been using the retractable badge holder gizmo for my benchtop DP for years, works fine.

My floor standing DP has a spring clip for the key on the side, even better.

both keys have the spring-loaded pin in the shaft to keep you from leaving it in the chuck and then spitting it at you when you turn it on.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN

both keys have the spring-loaded pin in the shaft to keep you from leaving it in the chuck and then spitting it at you when you turn it on.

Sounds like the same type of key that Ray has. What a small world.

Some time in the last century I just tied the chuck key with mason's line to the DP. Then when the rubber key chuck holders came out, I would insert the key into that, and use mason's string and tie the other end to the DP.

I found this little ditty at HD. It's primary function is to spring load pencils. But it has a flexible boot that holds a chuck key just fine. On the other end is a clip that can attach to the DP cover. Oh, it's also good for using with pencils. It was less than $5.

That magnetic thingy is a good idea.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

You know, I have never once left a chuck key in the chuck. I HAVE left an arbor wrench on a circ saw once. Don't do that... It hurts.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• 182much
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2008
              • Norco, CA

I placed a magnet on top of the DP and (hopefully) put the chuck key on that

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by 182much
                I placed a magnet on top of the DP and (hopefully) put the chuck key on that
                That's sort of what this thing is...

When I was in high school, and the first couple of years of college, I worked in honest to goodness "Service Stations" with full serve attendants, and an honest to goodness mechanics shop. I worked my way up to manager, and had a HUGE wad of keys to this, that, and the other thing...

Anyway, the keys were kept on an item called a "Key Bak" (Pretty sure that is a trademarked name).

Anyway, this Rockler thing, seems like a slightly downsized Key Bak with a REALLY strong magnet as part of the thing... Heck of a good idea.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Besides the magnet on the top, I have also seen a whole drilled in the top cover, and the handle of the key drops in it, with the key facing forward. You know it is there.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

I epoxied a magnet on the left side of my DP (since I'm left-handed) and made it a habit to put the chuck key there. My key also has the spring thingy that won't let it sit in the chuck.

I THINK I saw a DP once that had a switch interlock so that unless the chuck key was in the holder, it wouldn't turn on. Don't remember the make, model, or manufacturer. Maybe it was a dream…

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

I use a spring-return key-chain on mine.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...