X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_ma
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

First DADO for BT3100

I want cut dados for some cabinets I am building. I have been using the router, but I borrow a 6" craftsman dado for my table saw and they seemed to go faster. Why would I buy a 8" vs a 6" ? What does the larger size do?

I see like the Freud SD206 and the Oshlum 6" (Holbren). I would assume either of these is OK but I have little experience with dado blades. Cutting lots of 3/4 dados on the router is loud and messy.

Any input appreciated. Thanks
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

first dado for BT3100

It sure works easier doesn't it? And remember a stacked dado usually makes a better looking, smooth bottomed dado, where a wobble dad won't!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

do a 6" stack dado for the BT3's.

All the dope is in my BT3 faq (see below)
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

What Loring said...

There are clearance problems for an 8" stack in the BT's. Unless you need a slot that is ridiculously deep, there is no advantage to an 8" dado set.

Comment

• rberrybabylon
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2007

Just to add to the consensus.

I have the Freud 8 in. set and, while it works fine, I feel it's overkill and wish I'd bought the 6 in. set instead. The 6 in. set should handle practically any "normal" jobs.

Comment

• Thalermade
            • Dec 2002
            • Ohio
            • BT 3000

The Freud 6 inch dado works great, usually costs less too.

Here is a little CD holder project I did using mine.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Oshlun, and couldn't be happier with it. The guys at my local Rockler steered me to it, I was on the fence between the Oshlun and the Freus 6". Glad I got this one. The cuts are laser perfect every time...

If you are on a BT3K, you shouldn't run an 8" dado stack. Too big for the motor. ON a bigger saw, still no need for anything bigger than a 6". You are cutting slots, rabbets, and dadoes, not super wide through cuts with this...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by rberrybabylon
                I have the Freud 8 in. set and, while it works fine, I feel it's overkill and wish I'd bought the 6 in. set instead. The 6 in. set should handle practically any "normal" jobs.
                Me too. I bought the 8" several years ago and wish I'd bought the 6".
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Holbren discount

Just a reminder...Holbren offers a 10% discount with the "BT310" code, which brings the 6" Oshlun to ~ $67 shipped.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• steve_ma
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2005

Thanks alot for all the replies. I didn't know about the holbren discount....although I have bought stuff from them (him?) before.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by crokett
                      Me too. I bought the 8" several years ago and wish I'd bought the 6".
                      I have the Freud 8", mostly because it was a stock item at HD. I certainly don't need the capacity, but I'm curious why you wish you got the 6".

I've heard for some folks the 8" will hit their Al casting....

Regards,
                      Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Miller
                        I have the Freud 8", mostly because it was a stock item at HD. I certainly don't need the capacity, but I'm curious why you wish you got the 6".

I've heard for some folks the 8" will hit their Al casting....

Regards,
                        Tom
                        the 8" hits some of the motor housing so you need the extra 1/4" spacer on the arbor that the 6" will not need.

With the 1/4" spacer on the arbor then the left side plate will end up on the threads of the arbor. You may have to leave off the blade washer on that side to get the nut on, but in any case using a dado stack more than about 5/8" to 13/16ths" wil cause the left plate to ride about .010" low on the thread area and cut an uneven bottom. Leaving the blade washer off is another possible problem. I've done it but I don't think its a really good idea.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...