• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkroy
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Brunswick, MD

New Ridgid TS3660 with blade narrower than splitter

I'd been knocking my head against the wall getting the splitter aligned on my new TS3660. With the splitter aligned as well as my eyes allow I couldn't even rip a little piece of MDF as it would hang up on the splitter. Coming from a saw with a riving knife (CM 21829) I thought I was just doing something stupid in the set up. Turns out that the blade is ~0.071" while the leading edge of the splitter is ~0.086! I'm glad to find I'm not crazy! I'm surprised to see such a problem on a new saw, especially a safety problem on what should be a safety aid...
  • SARGE..g-47

Is this the stock blade on the saw? If so... what manufacturer's name is on it?

Comment

• kirkroy
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Brunswick, MD

Stock blade, Ridgid branded.

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Also is it carbide tipped? I haven't seen any 10" blades thinner than .090" and that was a rare one.
        Steel blades are often thinner. I think this is why the manufacturers were generally using stock around .07" thick for blade guards and just never changed it until recently.
        If they are carbide tipped, I'll bet they got a real good price on a bunch of them.
        I have seen this issue a few times recently as well. Not yet with a Shark, but I like to be prepared for issues in advance when possible.
        Lee

Comment

• kirkroy
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Brunswick, MD

Yeah, it's a carbide tipped blade. I don't know too much about how manufacturers work this stuff but, considering that the TS3660 was a short lived update to the TS3650 (to be replaced by that granite topped saw), I wonder if they were happy enough to throw whatever blades were around into the box...

It's quite a dramatic difference, visually:

Comment

• sweensdv
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • WI
            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The stock OEM blade is junk and should be replaced anyways. I'm not saying that Ridgid shouldn't be held accountable for doing something as boneheaded as this but come on, most OEM supplied blades from all manufacturers aren't worth a plug nickel.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I'd say complain to Ridgid LOUDLY and contact the CPSC, if this is a problem, this is a safety problem, reporting it could help keep other woodworkers safe.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• kirkroy
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Brunswick, MD

Sure, I didn't anticipate the stock blade being great or even good but I had hoped to do the initial setup with it in the saw (if only to get more familiar with the set up of the thing). It's really not too much of a big deal to me although I wasted a bunch of time screwing with the splitter. However, if this were someone's first saw this could be a really problematic issue.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'll join Skytooner in that I have never seen a blade as thin as .071. I would not use it as if the width of teeth are only .071.. the width of plate is even thinner and your going to get flex depending on the density of stock and arbor run-out. I had a feeling it was a Rigid blade as TTI specified it.

I would complain to HD but not on a store level. but on a regional or probably even better.. a national level as it is a safety issue and it's not going to help their sales of a decent priced saw.

Too add to that.. I will personally call Scott Box (president of Steel City.. Orion) Monday who makes the saw for TTI specs but obviously not using SC or Orion blades. That will give him a chance to put a bug in the ear or TTI (Home Depot parent Corp) as to the issue. I doubt he is aware of the issue as warranty is through TTI on that TS.

Good luck and if you can't afford another thicker blade at the moment.. PM me as I will send you one as I have a few laying around. I doubt that but if it were the case.. just do it and I will get you one out.

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I'd say complain to Ridgid LOUDLY and contact the CPSC, if this is a problem, this is a safety problem, reporting it could help keep other woodworkers safe.
                    I agree. It should be an interesting test of Ridgid customer service. They should be notified as it is a safety issue and they ought to send you a new, thicker, blade. It still probably wont be the greatest blade in the world but at least it should cut a kerf large enough to get past the RK.
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I just had another thought. There are a bunch of folks one here who have just taken advantage of the $399 HD deal on this saw. It would be interesting to hear if they have similar issues as you are the first one to report it here.

I know RMEDAD just got one. He will probably read this anyway but you could PM him.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• kirkroy
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Brunswick, MD

Thanks for the blade offer, Sarge. I was already planning to buy another general purpose blade specifically for this saw but was just watching for a good sale. I'll just suck it up and go ahead and buy one today. Sears has one that was rated well by WOOD and I've been curious about it. It's all of $4 off but that'll have to do...

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by kirkroy
                          Thanks for the blade offer, Sarge. I was already planning to buy another general purpose blade specifically for this saw but was just watching for a good sale. I'll just suck it up and go ahead and buy one today. Sears has one that was rated well by WOOD and I've been curious about it. It's all of $4 off but that'll have to do...
                          I know it will be more than a sears blade but as you just scored on that new TS you may want to treat yourself to a WWII which are still on amazon for very low prices (for a WWII). Check out this thread.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=43360
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• kirkroy
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Brunswick, MD

Originally posted by poolhound
                            I know it will be more than a sears blade but as you just scored on that new TS you may want to treat yourself to a WWII which are still on amazon for very low prices (for a WWII). Check out this thread.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=43360
                            Come on now, I'm having enough trouble resisting that deal as it is... I've also got an alaskan mill I ordered this month. I've really broken my budget for the month... Must resist... Must resist...

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by kirkroy
                              Come on now, I'm having enough trouble resisting that deal as it is... I've also got an alaskan mill I ordered this month. I've really broken my budget for the month... Must resist... Must resist...

I know what you mean. Money is tight all around but there are some things you would hope to buy only once and should last for a long time. After some angst and emails with Forrest I ordered the TK 9" 30T for only $58. I figured with the regular WWII TK 40T rarely coming under $100 this was the best deal I would get for a while.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...