Cleaning blades.... What to dunk blade in?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cleaning blades.... What to dunk blade in?

Okay, I got a pint of that Blade & Bit cleaner from Rockler, kind of hurried up to get it too.... My blade gullets are getting pitched up real bad from the pine ply and SYP I have been working with... I need to actually clean my blades now, but I don't have a container big enough in diameter to accept the saw blade...

What can I get that would work for this? Do they make pie pans big enough for this?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
    Okay, I got a pint of that Blade & Bit cleaner from Rockler, kind of hurried up to get it too.... My blade gullets are getting pitched up real bad from the pine ply and SYP I have been working with... I need to actually clean my blades now, but I don't have a container big enough in diameter to accept the saw blade...

What can I get that would work for this? Do they make pie pans big enough for this?
    they sell spacial pans, but I use a 5 gallon bucket - just big enough in diameter for the blade to lay flat on the bottom to use a minimal amount of cleaner to cover it.
    Too bad its so tall, I guess I should cut one off one day.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost

I got the rockler kit a while ago when it was on special (basically the same price as just the qt of pitch remover that came with the kit). The good thing about the container is it has a small ridge in the base to lift the blade of the bottom so the solution has a chance to get all around the teeth. So whatever you end up using place something under the blade to raise it a little.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I also use a 5 gal. bucket. As Loring stated, the 10" blade just fits in nicely. I'm probably the only one on the site who uses baking soda for blade cleaning. I mix 1 cup baking soda with 2 cups water. That makes just the right amount to cover the blade in the 5 gal. bucket. It sits overnight, doing it's magic while I'm sleeping. In the morning I use a nylon pad to get the gunk off. If necessary, I'll use a brass brush.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• kirkroy
          Established Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Brunswick, MD

5 gal bucket and simple green here...

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

what to dunk blade in?

I found a large plastic shallow pie type dish at the dollar store...works good and it's cheap too!

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

I don't dip mine anymore, just simple green goes onto an old tooth brush and I scrub away with that, then dry. Seems to work well, just rehab'd my WWII, cut much better clean.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

I use the clear plastic trays that you put under potted plants. If you get one for 12", it's about 11 1/2" inside, and only 1 1/2" deep. It's got cross ribs for strength on the bottom that keep the blade up. You can get them at HD, and they are dirt cheap.

Comment

• Schleeper
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by drumpriest
                  I don't dip mine anymore, just simple green goes onto an old tooth brush and I scrub away with that, then dry. Seems to work well, just rehab'd my WWII, cut much better clean.
                  No dipping here, either. I keep some Simple Green in a spray bottle, and I do the scrubbing in the slop sink in the laundry room.
                  "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Oh great, so simple green works for this? I have like 4 gallons of that stuff... I use the snot out of it for degreasing automotive projects... (Current project restuffing clutches in a Dana 44 Trac Loc for a friend's Jeep...)

The plastic plant saucer is a GREAT idea, I had never thought of it, and Wally World is gearing up for Lawn & Garden again. That should be about a buck or so...

My dollar stores close by don't have anything big enough. I looked...

5 gallon bucket too valuable as cutoff holder to use this way...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

If I'm not mistaken, the original Simple Green is said to have an issue with carbide. I used it until I found out about that. They make a newer Simple Green that is supposed to be safe for carbide. Don't remember the name of it, but Simple Green is in the name. They make both formulas. You can probably get more information at their website.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

Huh Ed, I thought it was bad for the brazing material, not the actual carbide. Which would weaken the bond and the tips could come off, which would be very bad, thus why I don't soak my blade, just spot clean.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• jussi
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007

I got the kit from Rockler as well but if I didn't have one already I'd probably get an oil pan. There was one on sale at HF recently that looked like it might work well.
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

I use a cake pan that I borrowed from my wife. Hope she does not find it is missing and now out in the shop.
                            John Hunter

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Another vote for the 5 Gal. bucket. I like using a nylon brush & the woodcraft cleaner. The high sides of the bucket help from making a mess with spray from the brush.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...