• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drillman88
    • Dec 2007
    • Southeast
    • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Freud Quadra Cut Router Bits

Anyone try these? Are they worth the premium price?
    I need a few new bits and want to try these but I like to benefit from others experience when possible.
    Thanks
    I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have not tried it but I bet the difference is almost as big as between Gilette triple-blade razor and Schick Quaddro.
    Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

on a purely theoretical basis, four cutters vs. 2 or (3) cutters will
      1. 2.0 times (1.33) as many cuts per second possibly giving a smoother cut (is you present cut smooth enough?)
      2. 2 times or (1.33) times as much cutter life, because each cutter does less work to achieve the same end result wood removal.
      3. cost is higher but not 2x (1.33x) higher because part of the cost is in the shank and body. Probably half the cost is in the carbide cutters so cost theoretically should be 1.5x or 1.16x...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kirkroy
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Brunswick, MD

I don't have any experience with the Frued bits but I do know for sure that something like a CMT is worth the $$$s. I've been slowly buying CMTs for the most commonly used bits. The improvement over the woodcraft and similar quality bits I'm replacing is significant.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

My understanding of these bits is that the cutting dia of two of the carbide tips is just proud of the opposing pair. The claim is that one set makes the initial cut and the other set does a finish cut. With a bit spinning 15,000 to 20,000 rpm I don't see how that is going to happen.

I'll stick with my Whitesides.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I have 3 or 4 different Quadra-Cuts, and they do indeed make a slightly cleaner cut on end-grains. Just a warning to those who pick up deals from time to time on Amazon: They are selling out their inventory of the old style Freud 2-cutter bits, and they have no way (according to them, after the fact) of telling you on which bits you'll get the old, as opposed to the new. Ordered the same bit 4 times from them, each time they lied and told me it would be the new style, the 4 bits each came from different Amazon distribution centers, and each was wrong. I gave up and bought local. Freud is also marketing these same bits under the Diablo brand.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

They also have opposing cuts, one set is a down cut and the other is an up cut.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• drillman88
                • Dec 2007
                • Southeast
                • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I will probably pick up one and give it a whirl.From my machinist background I understand the concept but sometimes performance and concept dont actually merge into a useful tool.
                thanks
                I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Pappy
                  My understanding of these bits is that the cutting dia of two of the carbide tips is just proud of the opposing pair. The claim is that one set makes the initial cut and the other set does a finish cut. With a bit spinning 15,000 to 20,000 rpm I don't see how that is going to happen.

I'll stick with my Whitesides.
                  Amen, for serious cuts on expensive wood I use only Whiteside. Never been disappointed. Pricey, yes. Worth it, heck yes.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I have one, a simple roundover, and while it works WAY better than my Skil POS bits, it is not significantly better in performance compared to my MLCS bits. Not sure the difference in cost is justifiable... Maybe on a more complex profile...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...