a dyson homemade dust collection system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codaman33
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.

a dyson homemade dust collection system?

Wow, the things that you find on the internet. Check this link out, and you will be impressed also. I have been checking craigslist for broken vacuum cleaners. I am going to make on of these. I just figured that I would pass it along to you guys. But I figured that we could also kick it around to see if it could be made better. What do you think.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51385

Matt
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Matt,

That looks like a LOT of work, is it any more effective than Phil Thien's design?

MY Thien Cyclone.

Post up pics with your results. I'd love to see how well this works...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

not impressing me with the airfow when he's got a 1.5" hose feeding it.
      And, no filter on the top outlets of the 'clones? He's just blowing any fines back into the room. Apparently never even thought about that from his comments.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

I don't know, it looks like a promising prototype to me.

The wiring certainly leaves a lot to be desired. So adding an exhaust air filtration system, clean up the wiring and it is a pretty neat small shop cyclone.
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• codaman33
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • Houston, TX, USA.

i think that it has merit for a start

I think it is an idea that is just the beginning. Instead of a shop vac and seperate cyclone system. This would be a much more useful idea especially if it were made smaller and neater. Also, add a dust filter. I mean who wouldn't want a shop vac with a built in cyclone. Isn't that the purpose of a garage shop with a shop vac and cyclone anyway?

I was also wondering about adding some sort of switch where the motor will reverse the other way in order to not just suck things up but blow them out. Instead of having two different holes for both, one to rule them all. HAHAHA.

Another great idea would be to have a 100% block style digital numbering system to show air flow. 100% being proper air flow, and if it is less it is because of a blockage or filling up or something. Also, have a dialing down of the motor for less strong projects.

These are just a few thoughts, but after I finish my wife's lathe cabinet and find a broken ("FREE") vacuum cleaner, this will be one of my next projects.

Also, one thing that I thought of is making some of the plastic parts using this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBRiYhxRTM

I could make my cyclone models on the lathe, put it all together, and then make a plastic mold using this method. What do you think about any or all of this?

It sure is fun to think about though.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

That cyclone idea looks like a very neat one.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

That cyclone idea looks like a very neat one. I wondered about not having a filter on it either. It does look kinda like a dyson vac. I wonder if an old Dyson would be big enough to serve as a dust collector?
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I'd think a 12 gallon shop vac would provide more airflow than a typical household vacuum cleaner. Lowes had 4.5 (peak) hp shop vacs on sale for $29 on Black Friday and I think there will be other, similar deals coming up. It might be more fun and more interesting to adapt a broken vacuum but a shop vac just might solve the problem of filtering fines.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Clear Vue Cyclone products has some mini cyclones that can adapt to shop vacs - seems pricey to me, but the concepts are interesting.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Personally, I think it needs MORE POWER!!!!

Maybe a diesel truck engine to power the impeller...

Can you tell I have a little time on my hands today?? No students for another 30 minutes!!!

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

• shoottx
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2008
                      • Plano, Texas
                      • BT3000

Sounds like you have spent too much time watching "tool time"
                      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...