Adjustable folding sawhorses or plans for some needed.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Adjustable folding sawhorses or plans for some needed.

I'd like to pick up, or build a set of adjustable, folding sawhorses, about 4 total, that I can place something like a door across, and use as infeed / outfeed table for a BT / BTS table saw. Can anyone recommend some good saw horses, or point me to plans to build my own? I want to be able to fold them up and hang them on the wall when I am through with them for the day.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I have a set of these (Brand is Stanley and I got them at Lowes) and they have worked out quite well for me.

Although I have used them as supports for a worktable, I am not sure I would want to use them as support for an out-feed table for a table saw. I would be concerned about their stability when subjected to lateral pressure (even as during out-feed).

There are height-adjustable sliders/rolers available, but for the life of me, I can't remember the brand name. They are readily available in Lowes, HD, and other hardware and woodworking stores.

Regards, Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
      I'd like to pick up, or build a set of adjustable, folding sawhorses, about 4 total, that I can place something like a door across, and use as infeed / outfeed table for a BT / BTS table saw. Can anyone recommend some good saw horses, or point me to plans to build my own? I want to be able to fold them up and hang them on the wall when I am through with them for the day.
      Saw horses that tall (38") will be much taller than usual.

For pre-bought horses using 2x4s I like the plastic kind with the bolt and wing nut holding them together, quite strong and simple to take up and down.

I don't like the metal bracket ones...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

What steve said.

I have the same plastic saw horses and they're great. I also picked up a couple of roller stands at sears a while back that are great for some (but not all) outfeed applications. Both can be had at very good prices.
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I have a pair of the Stanley ones Steve mentioned. They are great. They top out at 37" and with a waxed hollow core door as the surface and possibly a little weight on the spreader panel should work well.
          I got mine at HD.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Whaler
            I have a pair of the Stanley ones Steve mentioned. They are great. They top out at 37" and with a waxed hollow core door as the surface and possibly a little weight on the spreader panel should work well.
            I got mine at HD.
            I saw those. Yeah, Loring knows how I feel about the metal brackets. (it's not pretty)... I was looking at HD, and saw that they had some from Stanley, and some with their Husky brand name. The Stanley ones looked better made. I kind of wonder about stability. I was thinking about using a Hollow core door (1" thickness I believe), as an outfeed surface with some stiffeners glued up to the bottom to keep the sawhorse top in placeI figure I could stand the door on end in the corner behind the cyclone, and hang the sawhorses until needed.

If y'all recall, my canoe is planned to occupy the sawhorses I have now (good riddance from my shop!). So I need replacements. I figure the sawhorse / hollow core door thing would work well as outfeed, and be flexible enough for use as an assembly table when needed...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I have a few Stanley Fat Max horses (aluminum frames) and have found them very useful and stable for a folding horse. Lowes usually has them, and although they are a little pricey, usually puts them on sale at least once or twice a year. I have not regretted the purchase even once. I have fashioned a variety of head pieces for various tasks, including two with omnidirectional ball-style rollers for outfeed use.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Not sawhorses but I have 2 of these worktables from Craftsman. I have turned them perpendicular to the saw and used them for infeed/outfeed tables numerous times.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5796000P?mv=rr

For infeed/outfeed support these look good, too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...2268000P?mv=rr
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

I saved THIS page when somebody posted it before. I have no idea if they are a good design as I am still procastinating.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Daryl,

Bookmarked that link. Not sure I am crazy about that sawhorse idea, but I REALLY like the workbench / lumber storage idea...

And while I still am leery of using MDF, that shop vac box mufler might be worth taking some of the ideas from. Maybe a two layer so the vac could sit on top, and the cyclone on the bottom, a nice, space saving, noise control idea...

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

We had some verticals installed, and the installer had some great height adjustable sawhorses that he said he got at HD, maybe $30-$40, IIRC. I've never seen them at any of the HD's I've been in (and there's maybe 6-7 in my area).

As for a roller stand, I have 4 of these, and got 'em when they were on sale for around $9.99. They work good.

Comment

• iceman61
                        • Oct 2007
                        • West TN
                        • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                        I have a few Stanley Fat Max horses (aluminum frames) and have found them very useful and stable for a folding horse. Lowes usually has them, and although they are a little pricey, usually puts them on sale at least once or twice a year. I have not regretted the purchase even once. I have fashioned a variety of head pieces for various tasks, including two with omnidirectional ball-style rollers for outfeed use.
                        Ditto here on the Fat Max horses. Out in the field I put a couple of 8' 2x4 studs in the notches on top & throw on a sheet of plywood & have a work bench that is as sturdy as almost anything in the shop.

One of the magazines on the shelf now (Woodsmith/Router Table Secrets or Shopnotes/Small Shop Solutions) had a very nice plan for some sawhorses, fold-up & height adjustable if you want to build some.

UC...I'd like to see some of those head pcs you've made for these.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

I went to Lowe's a couple of years back, and bought four of their yellow metal, folding, height adjustable sawhorses, that you screw a 2x to the top. I can't find them via Lowe's website (even though I bought them and they still sold them there a couple weeks ago), but I found similar on Home Depot's website.

Crawford 38 In. Adjustable Height Folding Steel Sawhorse, Yellow

38" is the length, and a pair is supposed to support over 2000 lbs, so I wanted some decent sawhorses, that were height adjustable and could be used as low scaffolding for a project (barn).
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• shoottx
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2008
                            • Plano, Texas
                            • BT3000

Got 2 of these and they are great & I got two of these
                            Attached Files
                            Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, the other option was to grab a couple of the Workmates if they go high enough and just use the top surface of those... I thought about that.

Comment

Working...