• Show
Clear All
  • bmuir
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006
    • Rochester Hills, MI
    • BT3100

Tools in a Michigan unheated garage?

Over the last year, my shop has migrated from the basement to the garage.

My question is: "Can I leave all the tools (except the stationary power tools (table saw, drill press, band saw, etc.) in the unheated garage over a Michigan winter?" Or, is it better to take all those tools (clamps, small power tools, hand tools, etc.) back downstairs?

Believe it or not, I do some projects over the winter when it is VERY nice outside so I would rather not move all those small tools.

As always, thanks for the help.

Bill
    So little time, so much wood!
  • Dutchman46
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Holland Michigan
    • BT3000

Originally posted by bmuir
    Over the last year, my shop has migrated from the basement to the garage.

My question is: "Can I leave all the tools (except the stationary power tools (table saw, drill press, band saw, etc.) in the unheated garage over a Michigan winter?" Or, is it better to take all those tools (clamps, small power tools, hand tools, etc.) back downstairs?

Believe it or not, I do some projects over the winter when it is VERY nice outside so I would rather not move all those small tools.

As always, thanks for the help.

Bill
    If we get any heavy winds, It is almost imposable to keep tools, or any thing else from getting some moisture on them. I would like to use mine outside in my garage, but don't. I live in Holland Mi and mine will stay inside

Comment

• Stan
      • Mar 2004
      • Kalispell, MT, USA.
      • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I have my shop set up in an un-insulated carport converted to a shop, winters can be especially frustrating. I do have a woodstove in the shop but have no heat during the night hours.

Heating the shop back up in the morning invariably causes everything that is cast iron to start rusting as it sweats if the temperature is brought up from freezing to working temperatures too fast. I have heard that raising the temperature no more than 10°/hour will limit the cast iron sweating.... but that would mean waiting 3 to 4 hours to get to a comfortable working temperature.

If your garage has a heat source this may not be a consideration.

As far as hauling the smaller tools from the basement to the garage, if there is room I would probably leave at least a good portion of them in the garage. Kinda depends on how much, and what type of projects are being worked on during the winter months.
      Last edited by Stan; 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM.
      From the NW corner of Montana.
      http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

I leave everthing in my attached garage, I do heat the space when I need to with a couple of propane units.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The cold itself won't hurt anything, the biggest problem comes from moisture. Here in Minnesota, wide variations in temperature, especially in the spring leave cold tools in relatively warm, moist air as the day warms up. I keep a dehumidifier in my garage set at 40% and have had very few issues with rust. I get 10-15 gallons of water a day out of the air in a two car garage in the spring and early summer.

For hand tools, keep desiccants in each tool box, drawer, or cabinet to keep humidity down.
          Chr's

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

I'd just add that you want to keep any cordless tools inside. Temperature swings are very hard on batteries.
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

What he said about the cordless stuff...

You will be better off insulating the shop, and keeping it warm-ish... Now mind you, I don't have a lot expereince with the bitter cold like you get, but I do keep my shop in the garage year round. In the sub 40 degree temps, at least here, we get some real condensation problems, on the cast, aluminum, and lumber... I am busting my backside to insulate my garage, and plan on running an oil filled electric radiator set with the T-stat to 60 degrees. It doesn't have to be toasty for me, just a good environment for the tools and lumber.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

As has already been said, moisture is the problem. Even though you might not think there is moisture in the air, you might be surprised. My garage is not heated, and does not have a dehumidifier. My tools have already been brought indoors.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...