Anyone built a Thien separator lid for Shop Vac?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone built a Thien separator lid for Shop Vac?

I am wondering after tapping my filter clean yet again, about the Thien baffle, and if it would help me. I was hoping folks that have actually made one might have some insight as to how to get this task done... I can figure the spacers out no biggie. (TALL coupler nuts, probably a pair butted up against each other with a small piece of all thread). And the baffle plate itself I can figure out, but what has me wondering is the PVC Elbow. I would like to see what the mods were that were needed. I am assuming this is a 2" street 90 degree elbow. Is that correct?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Originally posted by dbhost
    I am wondering after tapping my filter clean yet again, about the Thien baffle, and if it would help me. I was hoping folks that have actually made one might have some insight as to how to get this task done... I can figure the spacers out no biggie. (TALL coupler nuts, probably a pair butted up against each other with a small piece of all thread). And the baffle plate itself I can figure out, but what has me wondering is the PVC Elbow. I would like to see what the mods were that were needed. I am assuming this is a 2" street 90 degree elbow. Is that correct?
    When I built mine I used two 90 deg elbows for the intake and one for the exhaust. Instead of making spacers, I used all-thread with nuts top and bottom to hold the baffle in place.

I've been using mine for about six months and I"m very pleased. I'll post pics if I ever get out in the shop again.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

When I built mine, I just used one 90 degree elbow for the intake, mounted flush with the top, & use two hose connections (Rockler) flange mounted on the outside of the top. 1/2" plywood for the top & the baffle. Get creative with the spacers, After all that's all they are; spacers. I use a cut up dowel, with a screw in the top & bottom of the dowel. You could also use a long bolt inside of a small piece of pvc pipe with a nut on the bottom side of the baffle.

Haven't had a good project to make use of it yet but I have a 5 gallon bucket full of sawdust that I keep dumping on the floor just to vacuum up from time to time. Still works like a charm. I can get you some pics if you want them.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
        When I built mine I used two 90 deg elbows for the intake and one for the exhaust. Instead of making spacers, I used all-thread with nuts top and bottom to hold the baffle in place.

I've been using mine for about six months and I"m very pleased. I'll post pics if I ever get out in the shop again.

g.
        Is 2" Sch 40 the right size to connect the 2.5 shop vac slip fitting? I think sch 40 is 1/8" wall, so that would be 1/4" additional to the O.D., so 2" I.D. = 2.25" O.D. which should be the shop vac male slip fit size...

For the output, is there a good reason not to use a 2" stub to a slip / slip coupler to connect the hose? It looks like I should be pulling the air from just about flush with the inside of the lid, or close anyway, so that dimension will be important. I figure I can hot glue that together. Possibly Gorilla glue it...

Yeah, pics, as detailed as you can get particularly on the inlet side, and the baffle itself would be helpful. The spacers are no big deal. I like the idea of all thread and nuts. Fewer parts to worry about fabbing up...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

I never found any PVC that was compatible w/ shop vac hoses, and that is why I used the Rockler fittings.

The outlet tube should extend approx. 1" beneath the top. I just used a PVC coupler for that.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

What about the elbow? That's the most vexing question, I can use a 2" and see if it works, but I would rather start off with knowledge than shooting in the dark...

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by dbhost
              What about the elbow? That's the most vexing question, I can use a 2" and see if it works, but I would rather start off with knowledge than shooting in the dark...
              I use a 2" Sch. 40 9-degree elbow, purchased at Ace. The specific ones my Ace stocks are made by Charlotte and carry a manufacturer's part # of 406-020. They look like the photo I've attached.
              Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

That's what I wanted to know. Slip F x Slip F and not street.

Now on to picking the right vessel for the separator, and off to the races we go!

Comment

• pacwind3
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Vancouver, WA
                  • Bosch 4100

I'd love to see pictures of one of these seperators. I tried to make one about 6 months ago but it didn't work well. I only got a few inches of dust on the bottom befor everthing just passed through.

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by pacwind3
                    I'd love to see pictures of one of these seperators. I tried to make one about 6 months ago but it didn't work well. I only got a few inches of dust on the bottom befor everthing just passed through.
                    Did you build one with the baffle, like pictured? If you didn't use a baffle those results wouldn't surprise me. That baffle should prevent the scrubbing you experienced.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• pacwind3
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Vancouver, WA
                      • Bosch 4100

Nope, I was reinventing the wheel. It was my own design and on a square shaped container.
                      Which fitting goes to the shop-vac and which out to the vacuum line? I am staring at the pic and thinking the center fitting hooks to the shop-vac. Just trying to imagine the air flow and if it would work on a square-ish container.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I would think that to get a cyclonic action going, you would have to, by definition, circulate the air in a round fashion. So no fitting a round peg in a square hole here...

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by pacwind3
                          Nope, I was reinventing the wheel. It was my own design and on a square shaped container.
                          Which fitting goes to the shop-vac and which out to the vacuum line? I am staring at the pic and thinking the center fitting hooks to the shop-vac. Just trying to imagine the air flow and if it would work on a square-ish container.
                          The center pipe is the outlet, the side pipe is the inlet. A square container wouldn't work, though.

Comment

• pacwind3
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Vancouver, WA
                            • Bosch 4100

Originally posted by cgallery
                            The center pipe is the outlet, the side pipe is the inlet. A square container wouldn't work, though.
                            Yeah I figured as much. Too bad to. The container I have is about 30" tall, nice thick plastic and almost clear so I would be able to see if it was getting full. I picked it up at walmart on clearence after the holidays for $10. It's originally meant as a storage container for wrapping paper.

Comment

• pacwind3
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • Vancouver, WA
                              • Bosch 4100

So I guess first things first, find a round container and make the seperator to fit.
                              Any suggestions for a container? 5 gallon bucket seems way to small.

Comment

Working...