• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

RIP ShopVac

Yesterday I was happily woodworking away when my 4.5 hp ShopVac/dust collector squealed and belched out the magic smoke.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new vac/dust collector. I used my old one attached to a chip separator and periodically changed the bag and cleaned/changed the filter. I realize a real dust collector would be best, but funds don't allow it right now.

Any suggestions on a replacement for around $150 that I can use as a vac and also my dust collector? My last one lived for three years--any that will last longer for the money?

Inquiring mind wants to know...

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

For $170 you can get the 2HP Harbor Freight Dust Collector. You could set it up to also be a dry vac without too much difficulty.

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

I have been using a 20 gallon, 6.5hp Shop-Vac as a DC for some time and have no real complaints -- except that its not a REAl dust collector. Space and money don't allow a real one at this time,

I use it for the saw and router with blast gates to regulate flow from the active tool. I also use a five-gallon chip separator located just before the vac.

Admittedly, a real DC would do a better job, but this unit has served me well. I recommend it.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

In that price range, if the HF dust collector doesn't go on sale, or coupon, or you decide against it, I would look at the larger Ridgid shop vac's, with SNR (serial noise reduction). That is only available currently, on the larger models.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I bought a ridgid WD1850 for about $150. pricey but by far better then any other shop vac I've ever used. it is much quieter and has more suction. it also has good air filters available, including hepa filters . the large rear wheels, handle and bag for accessories, and filter sensor is VERY convenient.

I've only had it for 5 months so I can't comment on longevity.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Flatlander
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2005
            • Illinois
            • BT3100

Are their any shop vacs that have the automatic start like on the Fein? I don't see anything on the ridgids.

Comment

• ksum
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Flatlander
              Are their any shop vacs that have the automatic start like on the Fein? I don't see anything on the ridgids.
              I picked up a unit from Sears for, I think, $20. You plug it into the wall, plug your tool into the main recptacle location, and have 2 locations to plug in things like a vac so they start automatically. I use it with my vac on a sander. There is about a 1 second delay for the vac to start after the tool starts, and it runs for a couple seconds after the tool stops. I have had it for about a year and it really works well!

Karl

Comment

• Flatlander
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Illinois
                • BT3100

Originally posted by ksum
                I picked up a unit from Sears for, I think, $20. You plug it into the wall, plug your tool into the main recptacle location, and have 2 locations to plug in things like a vac so they start automatically. I use it with my vac on a sander. There is about a 1 second delay for the vac to start after the tool starts, and it runs for a couple seconds after the tool stops. I have had it for about a year and it really works well!

Karl
                I assume this is what you are talking about: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tomatic+switch
                Looks like it will work. Thanks

Comment

• Garasaki
                  • Sep 2006

To the OP - if you want a dust collector, buy a dust collector. It's what you will end up doing in the long run anyway.

Realistically your best bet is a real DC of some sort and a cheap used shop vac.
                  -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                  -Henry Blake

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

none of the ridgids have an auto start function. porter-cable makes a vac that does but you are starting to get into the $250+ range.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I have a Shop Vac Hangup (The model only sold at Lowes) which has a decent enough motor (4.5HP) and a LOUSY hose (all the hangup models have the 1.25" hose...).

If I could figure out how to convert to the 2.5" hose, I would suggest this model as it mounts up on the wall, and out of the way which is why I bought it (garage space permits VERY little extra floor space for frivolous things like dust collection...

I bet shop vac would make a TON of money off of woodworkers if they built a hangup model with a 2.5" 20' long hose, a good strong QUIET motor, and kept the diameter the same as the current hangup. Maybe just making the tank 2 - 2.5 x longer than the current model to increase its capacity.

Does anybody have a suggestion for maybe fitting a larger Shop Vac between garage doors and off the floor?
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SteveR
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • USA.

Longevity comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        I bought a ridgid WD1850 for about $150. pricey but by far better then any other shop vac I've ever used. it is much quieter and has more suction. it also has good air filters available, including hepa filters . the large rear wheels, handle and bag for accessories, and filter sensor is VERY convenient.

I've only had it for 5 months so I can't comment on longevity.
                        Not sure what exact model I have, but it is a rigid. It is the one that the motor comes off and can be used for a leaf blower. Guessing I have had it for almost 10 yrs. This thing has cleaned up flooded basements, drained my backyard ponds MANY times, tons of shop duty, general construction cleanup, yard cleanup, and has been generally abused by me, the wife, and kids. I am REALLY surprised it is still running and strongly at that. Have only had to replace the filter, a replacement hose, and just last weekend one of the caster wheels finally broke off. I have gotten my money's worth and then some. This particular model is loud. Dunno if I got lucky on this one or they are all built this way, but will buy another without question when this one lets the smoke out.
                        Steve

Comment

• ksum
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jan 2007

I assume this is what you are talking about: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tomatic+switch
                          That is the one.

I do agree, however, with the comment about getting a real DC. But to do that right, you will need to spend more money than you seem to plan on spending. But from experience I can tell you that you will be happy you did if you go the extra. That said, I still use my shop vac with my sanders, so the auto switch and shop vac does come in handy.

Karl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

those work ok, I have two, just remember to take into account that all the current comes off the one outlet. I once ran my BT saw and a shop vac off the switch, knowing full well the BT3000 could draw up to 15Amps and the vac was rated at 6 amps. It worked OK the vac drew near its rating (vacs work that way) and the BT probably drew no more than 10 for most of my cuts, and I seldom tripped the breaker but I knew this was not too good, eventually I went away from it to a separate DC on a separate power circuit anyway.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by SteveR
                              Not sure what exact model I have, but it is a rigid. It is the one that the motor comes off and can be used for a leaf blower. Guessing I have had it for almost 10 yrs. This thing has cleaned up flooded basements, drained my backyard ponds MANY times, tons of shop duty, general construction cleanup, yard cleanup, and has been generally abused by me, the wife, and kids. I am REALLY surprised it is still running and strongly at that. Have only had to replace the filter, a replacement hose, and just last weekend one of the caster wheels finally broke off. I have gotten my money's worth and then some. This particular model is loud. Dunno if I got lucky on this one or they are all built this way, but will buy another without question when this one lets the smoke out.
                              Steve
                              Never tried it, but I've read the Ridgid vac's have a lifetime warranty. We have swapped the hose at work to the (costs as much as our small vac) orange one (from the borg), and use it with carbonized (burnt) stuff (can still be hot). Around 8 years so far, and no problems.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              those work ok, I have two, just remember to take into account that all the current comes off the one outlet. I once ran my BT saw and a shop vac off the switch, knowing full well the BT3000 could draw up to 15Amps and the vac was rated at 6 amps. It worked OK the vac drew near its rating (vacs work that way) and the BT probably drew no more than 10 for most of my cuts, and I seldom tripped the breaker but I knew this was not too good, eventually I went away from it to a separate DC on a separate power circuit anyway.
                              For hand tools, the switch should be fine. For larger items (like the BT), there are remotes that can be used, or you could wire it to be on with a light switch. Depends on the type of tools the original poster wants to use with it.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...