anyone watch Norm tonight

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John Williams
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • 9
    • B.R.,La.
    • bt3100

    #16
    norm who?
    JOHN

    Comment

    • drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • 3338
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

      #17
      David Marks definitely used to build several prototypes at different stages of completion, then filmed making the thing in 2 days. Insane, really, when you consider the complexities of the pieces involved. I don't build ANYTHING in two days.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

      Comment

      • jonmulzer
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 946
        • Indianapolis, IN

        #18
        When life happens I am lucky to get simple projects done in two months. I started a wine rack two weeks ago and in one day cut all the pieces (300+), laid out everything, etc. I got all that done in one day. I now have a couple of hours worth of work left to do to finish and have not been able to get it done because first my basement flooded and now we are working 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week because an emergency came up. Apparently Norm has no such issues, hehe.
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

        Comment

        • Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • 10490
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

          #19
          Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          I, for one, would like to see somebody doing a show on how to build things using the tools that are more likely to be found in the shop of (and the budget of) Joe Ordinary.
          DIY used to have such a show. The "Craftsman's" name was Johnson I think. His biggie in the tool inventory was a DeWalt bench top table saw. Not qa bad show but the best entertainment was listening to him screw up terminology.
          Don, aka Pappy,

          Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

          Comment

          • LCHIEN
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2002
            • 22084
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

            #20
            Originally posted by John Williams
            norm who?
            JOHN
            Norm Abrams of the New Yankee Workshop woodworking show on PBS.
            http://www.newyankee.com/about.php
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

            Comment

            • jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • 2162

              #21
              Originally posted by jonmulzer
              because first my basement flooded and now we are working 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week because an emergency came up. Apparently Norm has no such issues, hehe.
              NYW are his 12/hr days (or how ever long it takes to film those shows). And as far as personal emergencies, I'm sure he's got PA's for that.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

              Comment

              • drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • 3338
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

                #22
                Certainly I do things in bursts. I could see finishing a large project in 1-2 weeks if that's all I was doing. Except for the finish, of course. Also I tend to work on things that take a long time and I don't think ahead enough for time efficiency.

                The veneer that I needed to use (pressed today) has been flattening all week, so I wasn't very efficient there.

                If I were pro, I'd definitely have a spray booth for finishing. I think the hand rub stuff is great, but hard to justify all of that time to a client.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

                Comment

                • goslin23
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • 233
                  • Richmond, TX
                  • Rigid TS3650

                  #23
                  From what I understand, Norm does all the work himself using an assistant only for cleanup and finishes. He makes 3 of each piece of 99% of the projects he builds. One for himself, one for Russel Morash (the producer) and one for publicty shots. This season he had help from a female production assistant on the Adirondack Trio which was fun to watch.

                  Most of the tools he uses are not unusual for a typical weekend warrior, but he does have a few goodies that my shop will never see (that enormous wide belt sander for sure!). I've seen him use the basic Kreg R3 rocket jig (which I just bought at the woodworkers show), his portable 12" planer and various other portable power tools that you could pick up at the BORG. In fact, the NYW is not actually Norms shop, but belongs to Morash and sits beside the Victory Garden.

                  There hasn't been a project the Norm does that I feel that I couldn't do with the tools that I have (except turning some legs, I need a lathe). It's not the tools, but the talent that holds me back But I'm still learning!

                  -=gos=-
                  If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

                  Comment

                  • kirkroy
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 343
                    • Brunswick, MD

                    #24
                    Let's not even mention David Marks saying something like (definitely not an accurate quotation): "angle the piece into the jointer". He had something like a 6" workpiece that he was sending in at a significant angle on his ~16" jointer... Um, yeah, there's someone, somewhere with a jointer like that in their home workshop!

                    Comment

                    • jonmulzer
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 946
                      • Indianapolis, IN

                      #25
                      There is, David Marks.

                      His workshop tour is very interesting to watch. Watching him do a tune-up on a 20" bandsaw was interesting. He acted like every craftsman has one in their shop.
                      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

                      Comment

                      • TheRic
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 1912
                        • West Central Ohio
                        • bt3100

                        #26
                        Originally posted by goslin23
                        ... This season he had help from a female production assistant on the Adirondack Trio which was fun to watch. ...
                        Which part?
                        Ric

                        Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

                        Comment

                        • poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • 3196
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

                          #27
                          SPeaking of mistakes and problems, I just watched one of the Wood Works episodes the DVR recored this weekend. It was all about repairs for damaged stock and those little oops moments. He fixed mortises in the wrong place and blown out edges.

                          He also showed how to make a piece of wood longer if you cut it too short - clever stuff.
                          Jon

                          Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                          ________________________________

                          We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

                          Comment

                          • rnelson0
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 424
                            • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                            • Firestorm FS2500TS

                            #28
                            Surely even Norm must make a mistake every now and again.
                            I saw him drop a screw once when he was putting something together, actually had to get another screw instead!

                            Comment

                            Working...