Clear All
  • Mangler_of_the_Wood
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2008
    • North
    • BT2000. Version 2.9.1

Miter slot attachment

Hi,
    Where could one get a good deal on a miter slot attachment for the BT3000?
    thanks,
    Mangler
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

They run pretty much all the time on Ebay. You may find a private seller once in a great while, sometimes here on this forum, but the Ebay route is the best option available most of the time.

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

As Uncle C said, they are readily available on E-bay. However, you might want to consider making your own.

My only issue with the Ryobi add-on tables is that the slots are not true T-slots and the miter gauge has a tendency to flip out when its body is over the edge of the table. I was not thrilled about my INCRA gauge dropping onto the concrete floor so I built the one shown in the photo. Other ideas and plans can be had on this, and other sites.

Regards, Steve
      Last edited by steve-norrell; 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I agree 100% with Steve. If you are thinking of using a miter guage with the std miter slots then forget it. I also went and bought an Incra guage and it kept flipping out of the slot. Very unsafe, stick with the sliding table or make one with T-Slots. I am going to add a home made right side slot and build some sleds.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Micham59
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2006
          • N.E. Ohio
          • bt3100

ryobi parts

On ebay there is a person by the name of jcherryai and is store is called "Just Ryobi Parts. He has what you are looking for plus other assessories for the bt saws.

Comment

• softop41
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • Plainfield, IL, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Mangler

Here's what I did for both sides of my BT. If you enlarge the photo, oyu will see that I have both leveling screws and alignment screws built in so that I can adjust in all directions.
            Jerry
            Attached Files
            Jerry
            Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by softop41
              Here's what I did for both sides of my BT. If you enlarge the photo, oyu will see that I have both leveling screws and alignment screws built in so that I can adjust in all directions.
              Jerry
              Jerry,

I am about to build a right side slot. How did you do yours also how did you mount it? To the rails or the body?
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by softop41
                Jerry
                Super idea. I'd love to see a detailed description or photos of your leveling and alignment system.

I have been toying with a long miter slot that extends about 12 inches to front and rear of the table. The leveling and alignment issue has been bugging me.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• softop41
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Poolhound & steve-norrell,
                  Sorry for the delay in asnwering your questions.
                  1 If you notice in the pic, I have a 2nd, empty saw body mounted on the rails to the right of the functional one. This gives me a ledge to the left of the table top to mount the right side miter slot on.
                  2 The miter slot attachments are made of MDF; a piece of 1/2" and a piece of 3/4" glued together. Both are mouted to the saw body castings that protrude to the left of the table top. I drilled and tapped 10-32 holes in the casting for the mounting screws and drilled oversize holes in the MDF for these screws so that I can achieve some angular movement.
                  3 For levelling, I drilled and tapped 10-24 allen screws into the MDF so that they also went down onto the casting.
                  4 For alignment with the blade, I drilled and tapped 10-24 allen screws at about a 30 degree angle ; all 4 of these press against the functional saw body.

I hope this helps. I have had the left one for 3 years and the right one for 2 years and have been very happy with them. I don't have to adjust them unless I have taken the saw apart for some reason. The right one has to be checked after opening up the right side of the saw for the usual maintaince but it usually comes right back to the correct place if I am careful to get the extra saw body snug against the functional one when I tighten it to the rails.
                  I'll be happy to help further if you still have questions.
                  Jerry
                  Jerry
                  Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• steve-norrell
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • BT3100-1

Jerry:

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for sending the email. Clever idea. Your system is quite different than the one I have been tinkering with. It looks as if you do not move the miter slots (except for maintenance) once they are installed. That's similar to what I have in the picture shown in my post.

The long miter table I am working on is designed to be moveable and, so far:

1. The table rests on the rails; uses 1/2 x 1/2 sliders to help position the table relative to the saw and blade.
                    2. It is held down against rails with screws through small UHMW blocks that are anchored to slots in the rear and front rails. (You can see the screw hole in the picture of the rear block.)
                    3. Horizontal positioning is controlled with the same blocks, by moving the table right or left and tightening the "T-bolt and nut" arrangements.
                    4. All mounting blocks are lower than the miter table surface so there is no interference with cutting larger stock.

This should be considered a "work in progress" that will evolve over the next few weeks. Hopefully, this will generate some additional suggestions.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to send the email.

Regards, Steve
                    Last edited by steve-norrell; 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Minneapolis, MN
                      • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                      Jerry:

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for sending the email. Clever idea. Your system is quite different than the one I have been tinkering with. It looks as if you do not move the miter slots (except for maintenance) once they are installed. That's similar to what I have in the picture shown in my post.

The long miter table I am working on is designed to be moveable and, so far:

1. The table rests on the rails; uses 1/2 x 1/2 sliders to help position the table relative to the saw and blade.
                      2. It is held down against rails with screws through small UHMW blocks that are anchored to slots in the rear and front rails. (You can see the screw hole in the picture of the rear block.)
                      3. Horizontal positioning is controlled with the same blocks, by moving the table right or left and tightening the "T-bolt and nut" arrangements.
                      4. All mounting blocks are lower than the miter table surface so there is no interference with cutting larger stock.

This should be considered a "work in progress" that will evolve over the next few weeks. Hopefully, this will generate some additional suggestions.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to send the email.

Regards, Steve

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what are the advantages of this system over the SMT?

I'm sort of a newbie and I get incredible accuracy with SMT and with an extra hole for the MF I can crosscut boards 21" wide.

Thanks,

J.D.
                      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
                        Please don't take this the wrong way, but what are the advantages of this system over the SMT?

I'm sort of a newbie and I get incredible accuracy with SMT and with an extra hole for the MF I can crosscut boards 21" wide.

Thanks,

J.D.
                        http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...&highlight=SMT
                        If you read this recent thread it explains it somewhat. Some people love the SMT, some hate it and prefer miter slots.
                        I guess this is one of the saws you can get both pretty easily!
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Andrei

Mangler,

Try www.mowtownusa.com and search for BT3000. I just picked up 2 miter slots, clamps, etc for my Ryobi.

Jim

Comment

• dkerfoot
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Holland, Michigan
                            • Craftsman 21829

Huzzah! Thanks for the breakthrough idea!

I have a spare smt that I have been planning to use as a base for an easily removable and adjustable miter table. I have two of the aluminum ones but don't like having the left hand one in place all the time. It moves the SMT too far away from the blade for my tastes.

I am one of those that love the SMT, but would also like to be able to use a miter sled and jigs that require miter slots.

I have been trying to figure out how to mount the aluminum miter table to the SMT base plate - thinking through all the grinding and cutting needed to do it. Duh!

Having seen your design it suddenly comes together. Simply mount the correct thickness of MDF inside the SMT base - routed with T-track installed. Viola! An easy to add/remove miter table with built in squaring adjustments.
                            I had planned on cutting the SMT base to table width, but now see the advantages of leaving it long.

I'll report back on how it goes...
                            Doug Kerfoot
                            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• steve-norrell
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer

Thanks,

J.D.
                              First of all, I like the SMT and use it alot -- but not for a miter gauge.

I know that others will disagree, but here are the two reasons I built my own miter table: 1) I feel more comfortable with the accuracy of the Incra 1000SE, and 2) I wanted a true "T-track" type miter slot so the 1000SE wouldn't tip out and land on the concrete floor. Also, the merit of the longer miter table has been well demonstrated.

The SMT is great and dkerfoot's idea of mounting miter slots on MDF in the SMT is an excellent one, worthy of careful evaluation, IMHO.

In all cases, however, the main issues would be getting the miter table level with the rest of the saw's surface AND ensuring that the miter slot is as parallel to the saw blade as is possible (hence the need for right-to-left adjustment).

Regards, Steve

Comment

Working...