• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

How high is your router table?

I recently made a new base for my router table. After a couple of weeks I think I Boo-Booed and made it too short. I am 5'10" and my 2 benches are 34 1/2" and 35 1/2". I made the new base so the router table top matched the 35 1/2" bench. Although both benches are comfortable to work at the router table now seems too low.

I know it depends on ones own size, height & arm length but what height is your router table?
    33 1/2"
    4.31%
    34"
    6.03%
    34 1/2"
    3.45%
    6.03%
    35 1/2"
    3.45%
    36"
    18.97%
    Higher
    57.76%
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i made it the same height as my BT3000... around 38 - 38.5"
    Working on small, relatively low flat objects for detail work you want to bring the work up a little closer to our (aging) eyes.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
      • Nov 2004
      • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
      • Delta Contractor Saw

I voted based on memory (which isn't getting any better) but I think mine is right at 39". It serves as outfeed for my contractor table saw.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm with Loring, although a different machine it's the same concept; dictated by circumstance. So, if you feel a bit cheated on the height you can always build a booster box to raise it the deficient amount. You didn't do it wrong. Just differently.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I liked the height of the BT3100 for the brief time I used it on it's original stand so I built my mobile base at the same height, about 38 inches. I built my router table and assembly bench 1/4 inch shorter. The bench is the outfeed support and the router table with the fence removed is the infeed support.

Jim

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Since your poll choices are by 1/2" increments I voted "Higher," as I think mine is just shy of 36-1/2".

The Next One, which with any luck will get built this year, will be 37-1/2" to 38" high.
            Larry

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

You can always add some levelling feet or a mobile base to get it an inch or two higher.
              Mine's 36" sitting on a mobile base, and I'm nearly 6ft tall. Doesn't seem uncomfortable to me. But then it probably matters if you're long legged or not, also.

Comment

• burrellski
                Established Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Saint Joseph, MO.

Mine is about 34", the height of by table saw. I prefer the lower height of my new table saw to the bt3100 height, but I would prefer a taller router table. I'm 5'11"

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

40 inches for me and I am 5'10". Like Loring said, I like it up close for detail work - for 1. sighting, 2. hand control and 3. ergonomics - i.e. less back pain during extended routing times.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Long Shadow
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Sep 2007

I went with "Higher" but not by much. Lemesee, Isn't there a song about that: "How High's The Router Table?" ........Sung, of course to "How High's
                    The Water Mama?"
                    LS

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Gosh, it looks like a lot of folks are higher. I should have added more options above 36". I like the idea of using the table as outfeed support for the BT. I may modify the base to bring it up to this height and get some extra outfeed support to boot.....
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

Mine is table saw height, as it's built into my extension. I have no trouble with this height at all though. I feed into it the same way I do my TS blade, and it seems very comfortable to me.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                          Gosh, it looks like a lot of folks are higher. I should have added more options above 36". I like the idea of using the table as outfeed support for the BT. I may modify the base to bring it up to this height and get some extra outfeed support to boot.....
                          There are two directions that people take on table height:

1. Everything the same; makes for good organization, easy to use with everything the same height; some work tables can be used as infeed and out feed tables.

2. Table height geared to the need - and there are three basic height needs: Marginally more safety is gained as the correct height according to the job is used. The three heights:
                          a. Power needs such as feeding a board in a thickness planer is best done from a height of somewhere around 30 - 32 inches for an average height person.
                          b. Combination of power and control is done best at around 34 - 36 inches such as table saws and band saws.
                          c. Better Control and less back strain for items like router tables and scroll saws.

In watching this subject come up at different times in magazines as well as this and other forums, I see a distinction in the two - A greater number of older people tend to use the latter method due to the need for efficiency because of back aches. Wisdom overcomes esthetics!
                          Last edited by leehljp; 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Mine is in the extension table of my table saw. Like one poster said, I like the
                            height of this saw better than my old BT3100, but I like the router height in the
                            BT3100 better than this saw (35").

Paul

Comment

• Wood_workur
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Ohio
                              • Ryobi bt3100-1

I think mine is 1/2" lower than the bt3100. I know my workbench is the same heiht as the 3100 for use as an outfeed table.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...