• Show
Clear All
  • mrojec
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2006
    • Englewood, CO
    • Ryobi BT3000 (for now)

Where do you get your router bits?

I've bought some from Price Cutter that were fine, but have seen the sources routerbits.com, mlcs, holbren, and HF mentioned here. Who's the best?
    Mark
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

MLCS www.mlcswoodworking.com has a good selection, helpful guides, a useful catalog, good customer service, reasonable prices, free shipping and decent bits. I have used them a lot.

Holbren has good prices, decent bits, supports this forum. A discount for forum users here.

I would not buy HF bits.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I would avoid HF. Holbren has great stuff and gives good service. I also get some Freud bits when Amazon has a sale, but have to be careful that they are shipping the current designs. Whiteside bits are awesome, but very pricey. If you have a traveling WW show come through your town, you can often get some good discounts on quality bits.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Usually Holbren....between his prices, free shipping, and choice between Whiteside and Holbren bits, my bases are pretty well covered. But I'll also grab a few Woodcraft bits now and then, or will take advantage of some Amazon deals.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

I use Holbre and Woodcraft. I've gotten a number of $5 bits at woodcraft when on sale, and sometimes the Whiteside bit of teh month is a very good deal. Holbern's bit are of good quality, and his service is good. I have a good number of bits from him. I also bought a rail and style set from Rockler, and the bits are fine, but I paid way too much (bought before I knew about MLCS and Holbren). Rockler was probably about twice the price.

Jim

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Mainly Holbren and MCLS plus a few Woodcraft when they were on sale for $5 each. bought 2 Rocklers for a project that couldn't wait and a 5 piece Craftsman starter set which was a gift when I got my first router. Brian's are very good for the price. Would love to try some Whitesides.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• BigguyZ
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2006
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've bought from Holbren, but prior to that I've ordered from Woodline.com and have gotten great prices and great service as well.

So those are the two that I'd reccomend.

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Since router bits are consumables, I try to anticipate my needs and buy them whenever they're on sale, from whichever vendor has a good price. My "good" bits are mostly by Whiteside, and a lot of them come from Hartville Tool since they have fairly frequent 20% off sales. (Now that Holbren has Whitesides, I'll no doubt be ordering from them, too.) I've also bought the (Whiteside) Bit Of The Month at Woodcraft a few times, as well as their green house-brand bits when they're on sale for $5 each.

For prototyping and for-the-shop projects, I have two mid-sized budget sets: one from Blades 'n Bits, one from Holbren. Together they total about 50 bits, for about that many dollars -- cheap enough that everyone should have at least one such set.
                Larry

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Since so many here use Holbren, I've got to give him a plug for extraordinary service. Last summer I ordered a thumbnail profile from them...it would have been ~ $16 shipped. I didn't realize that he had a 6-piece thumbnail set on sale for $20, but he sent me the whole set at no additional charge. Things like that make it hard not to consider them first now....
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Brian is a super classy guy to do business with. I usually look at his site first when looking for a new bit.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• THyman
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Holbren has great prices and great service! I also got some of the Infinity overstock bits that are very well made and good prices.

It's a good idea to get on the vendors email list that way you are notified of any upcoming sales.
                      War Eagle!

Comment

• rnelson0
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                        • Firestorm FS2500TS

Where do people get starter sets that are of decent quality? I had a router and zero bits, so I bought the 30 bit Skil set at Lowes for $100. I figured it offered a good variety and it was at a price where if I blew them up, I wouldn't care as much as if I got them for $10/each ($300). Is there a better place to get starter sets that offer that kind of variety?

And no, Craftman's 4-piece "starter" set for $60 doesn't interest me. Talk about expensive!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I've replaced all my most used ( round-over.. cove.. straight.. over-head pattern bits.. double bearing pattern and trim bits.. chamfers ) starter set bits over the years with 1/2 shanks. Varied sources of CMT.. Eagle America.. Whiteside.. MCLS Katana's.. etc.

Good bits are expensive.. but I just feel that with a bit spinning into expensive stock at those rpm's.. best to replace if heavily used with quality. There are a number of every now and then bits I still have from a Hickory Wood-working (made by Oldham or American Saw) that may never be replaced. I have found the Hickory Woodworking to be pretty good over-all but not the quality of the above mentioned.

MCLS is another ooption of very good, but not quite (almost though) great as reflected by their pricing IMO. But.. if I were not a heavy user.. I would probably chose them in 1/2" as the best value with pretty good quality as an option to going to more expensive. I have found their is not a lot of real difference in the top lines with the exception of some are more expensive than others.

I prefer the lines that don't do extremely heavy advertising which steers me away from Freud and Bosch. Probably good bits.. but I feel they are probably over-priced as the manufacturer can get away with it on name alone and have to pay for the heavy advertising. Actually I suppose "you" will pay for the heavy advertising IMO>

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                            ...if I were not a heavy user...
                            Sorry to hear of this, Sarge... Have you considered Celebrity Rehab??

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rnelson0
                              Where do people get starter sets that are of decent quality? I had a router and zero bits, so I bought the 30 bit Skil set at Lowes for $100. I figured it offered a good variety and it was at a price where if I blew them up, I wouldn't care as much as if I got them for $10/each ($300). Is there a better place to get starter sets that offer that kind of variety?

And no, Craftman's 4-piece "starter" set for $60 doesn't interest me. Talk about expensive!
                              MLCS has had sets for a long time.
                              I find their quality to be very good, the value very good.
                              http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...rbit_sets.html
                              the 30-pice set for about $99 is a good starter set, you won't use all of them immediately but it does give you something to experiment with and find out what works for a particular project. Some people say they don't like sets because some bits will go unused... at $3.33 a bit you can afford to have some go ununsed for the flexibility it gives you.

P.S. as mentioned by others, I only buy bits in 1/2" shanks these days, with the exception being for smaller bits that would neck down significantly at the cutter, anyway.

Good luck!
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...