• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

HF digital veriercaliper battery needed

I went to use this unit yesterday and the batteries are both missing. I recall wen this occured but it's not important. Can anyone supply me with a battery number?
    TIA
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • gearbuilder
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2007
    • N.W. Indiana
    • Delta

I have the HF 6" digital caliper with the black scale and it only has one battery. The number on it is 357/303. This is an energizer battery so i'm sure I've replaced it. BTW mine needs new batteries now also.

Jamie

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I looked at the instruction manuals for every digital caliper currently in the HF system, and only one of them (93293) lists battery type (SR44). None of the others lists the battery number, but all have the same description. None of them uses more than one battery, although some are shipped with two, so you can have a spare. If the Energizer #357 fits gearbuilder's model, it's a pretty good bet it'll fit yours too. HF also has a tech services number you could call with your question (1-800-444-3353). I assume you have already looked for a sticker inside the battery compartment that gives the required battery type...

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

According to the notes I made for my cyclocomputer, a 357, 303, and SR44 are all the same battery. My HP calculator uses these, too, and I've seen them in other things ... apparently they're a very common size and voltage.
        Larry

Comment

• mpauly
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • NJ

At least the caliper I have uses the SR44 others have pointed to as well. The energizer battery package lists all the equivalents on the back (which matched the original HF number). If all else fails, go to Radio Shack, they will be able to match one up in their computer.

Sad thing is I think I paid $9 for the caliper, the replacement battery cost me $5!!

Michael

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

LR44 or SR44. That is a very, very common button cell and it goes by a whole bunch of similar numbers

Silver Oxide chemistry
            SR44, SR44W, 303, 357, AG13, G13

Alkaline chemistry
            LR44, A76, EPX76

the silver ones will cost more and may last longer.
            Other than that you won't be able to tell the diff if its silver or alkaline.

are some of the ones of the same size and voltage and will work.
            Should be a piece of cake to find at Radio Shack (#23-104 or 23-105) or even the corner grocery store. The 357/RS23-105 are about .01" thicker and usually fit no problems.

more equivalents:
            1131SO SR44 D357/303 SP357 SR44W V357 AG13 G13 A76 PX76 675 1166A PX76A A76-1 LR44H V13GA GP76A L1154 RW82.

The silver ones from Radion Shack will cost about $3.50
            but you can find a card of 10 (probably Alkalines) at the local craft store for about $3. These are chinese made for flashing LED buttons and badges, no idea if they'll last 1/10th as long but they're only .30 apiece. You can also find cards of 10 cells on ebay ridiculously cheap for crafts and LEDs and Laser pointers (which often use 3 cells and cost under 10 bucks).
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004

Well, thanks to all for more enlightenment than I could possibly hae imagined. And to you, Unc Cracker, I looked because it seemed like the obvious thing to do but no dice. And, although it was received with two batteries the spare was DOA, the one in use was dead shortly after initial use.

It's funny that when I tell the wife the kinds of info that I have searched out or asked for she calls the group a veritable encyclopedia of 'what is' and 'how do I' facts. I agree althought I'm seldom a contributor of useful info.
              Many thanks to all!
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

A search would also have found it, there are at least two BT3central threads in which batteries for the HF digital caliper are discussed... try a search for "Digital Caliper battery"

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...aliper+battery
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• messmaker
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2004
                  • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                  • Ridgid 2424

They are also used in hearing aids. You can find them at the jewelery counter at Wal-Mart for about a buck each. Most of the batteries are 1.5 v. You just have to watch the size.
                  spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by ironhat

It's funny that when I tell the wife the kinds of info that I have searched out or asked for she calls the group a veritable encyclopedia of 'what is' and 'how do I' facts.
                    Many thanks to all!
                    We have several $1 or Deal types stores that carry them for around a buck. Thanks for all the cross references guys, I need to put those in its case.

Encyclopedia eh? And here I am normally told I am full of ....
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I just use a fractional dial caliper. I got tired of the HF digital eating batteries and fractions are more useful.

Jim

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004

Yea, Jim, I definitely like my fractional caliper. And, frankly, for machine work or reloading I prefer a non-digital (is it an analog?) model because I can visually reference the reading from the desired in a moment. With the digital I have to do the math. Too time consuming.

Loring, I never thought about the search engine for this. I even hesitated for a couple of days because I thought that perhaps it was too OT. Apologies to all if I offended. Have a great one, folks, and thanks!!
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Yea, Jim, I definitely like my fractional caliper. And, frankly, for machine work or reloading I prefer a non-digital (is it an analog?) model because I can visually reference the reading from the desired in a moment. With the digital I have to do the math. Too time consuming.
                          You could have the best of both worlds with a decimal/fractional digital... Shows 'em both at once. Keeps yer head from hurting...

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

an "analog" caliper is either a dial caliper or vernier caliper depending on how the scale is displayed.

couldn't you just zero your digital caliper at the desired reading then the difference would instantly be displayed, no math?
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                              couldn't you just zero your digital caliper at the desired reading then the difference would instantly be displayed, no math?
                              I thought he was talking about converting decimal to fraction, which is a PITA sometimes...

Comment

Working...