• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jself
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • North Carolina.

Suggestions on a router

I currently have 2 routers (a Ryobi fixed based w/a 1/4" collet and a Hitachi M12V plunge router with a 1/2" collect), but I would like to purchase another. The Hitachi works great in a router table. It is powerful with easy adjustment and a soft start. I bought the Ryobi when I first starterd woodworking about 10 years ago and I have out-grown it.

I would like a fixed base router with 1/2" collet that is easier to use than the Hitachi. I have been thinking about a Porter Cable 691 with a D-handle. It looks like a good balance between power and easier handling. Does anyone have this router? Any thoughts or comments?
  • Tom Hintz
    • Feb 2004
    • Concord, NC, USA.

I have the Bosch D-handled router and use it constantly. I like how it feels in the hand which seems to make me more accurate with it. I have PC routers also but not the D-handled versions. I think the PC and Bosch routers are the best value out there and you can do well with either.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/bdhndlrvu.html
    Tom Hintz
    NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

The PC 69x series was designed over 20 years ago and although several things have been updated, the basic design is, well, dated. They still sell a lot of them simply because for many years, it was THE router to get. However, the ones I suggest below are all much improved, the PC 69x is just running on old reputation and lower price, alone.

if you are looking for an interchangeable base router, then the top choices to look at should be the PC 89x series, the Bosch 1617evs and the Dewalt 618. I personally have the Bosch, I think the PC is very close. Also Makita RF1101 and the new Hitachi MV12(? I think, the number is very close to the big plunge and easily confused). If you just want the fixed base version, many of them are available as a kit with 2 or more bases, or as a single unit with just the fixed base. For instance, the Bosch 1617EVSPK is the variable speed router with the plunge and fixed base, the 1617EVS is the VS router with a fixed base only, and the 1617 is the router with a single speed, and fixed base.

I realize you said you were looking at the D-Handle base, but you might look at the three-base kits, there's certainly nothing wrong with more tools in your arsenal, this would give you three tools in one for not much more money.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-21-2008, 03:32 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK and I have to say it's a wonderful machine.

Comment

• justaguy
          Established Member
          • Jun 2006
          • Chesapeake VA

I use three routers.. a big 3hp unit in a table, a DW618 that came with fixed, plunge and D handle bases, and finally a Bosch colt for the small jobs.

These three meet my needs.

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • The Great Land - Alaska
            • BT3100-1

I recently got one of these and am quite happy with it so far, keeping in mind that it is my 'second' router that is used only occasionally for non-table routing.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...inate+Trimmers

It does not have a "D-handle" base but you may be able to purchase one. Its reasonably priced ($119) and looks very much like a Bosch clone. Depending on its intended use, it may be worth a look.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Bosch makes a great router. I also have the 1617 kit, and use it for anything hand held.
              Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• eezlock
                • Feb 2006
                • Charlotte,N.C.
                • BT3100

router

My opinion here.... DW616 or DW618 either one with the three base kit is hard to beat! I have the 616 and it does everything that I need. eezlock

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

I seem to be the odd man out. I have a Milwaukee 5616-20 2-1/4HP and am very satisfied with it. The Milwaukee replaced a Ryobi like yours. For me ease of adjustment, VS and soft start, in that order, were important considerations. I did not ever consider the body grip of the router until I had it home and tried it. Now I think it is one of the best features of the Milwaukee router.

My way of thinking is to find what is the most important feature in the tool your looking for and then look for the tool that meets that need. While price may often be a deal breaker for me it's never the deal maker. Far too often I have purchased a tool based on it being the best price only to be disappointed. When you find what you really want and it costs too much then figure out how many Starbucks, smokes, six packs or bottles of wine would make up the difference. When the price is put that way I rarely have trouble with the cost. Be careful, this also works for sewing machines.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'll join Mr. Bill and taut the Miwaukee 2 1/4 Combo kit. I used to have the 690. I used to have a DW 621 plunge.. I used to have a Bosch combo kit.. But I sold them all and got the new Miwaukee Combo with Body Grip fixed base and plunge.

I've had a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under my table for 5 years and was so impressed I took a shot on Milwaukee's new plunger in the kit. I had already use the Body Grip fixed and loved it. So I sold em all and it was the best move I ever made with routers. Sweet.. sweet.. sweet.

Won't go into detail.. but you can go to Amazon.com and look for my review there which is pretty throught as to why I consider this the best router I have had in my hands in 36 years.

Comment

• jself
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2005
                      • North Carolina.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice. I had my mind set on one of the PC 691 D-Ring routers because I have watched Norm use one for years. I had not even thought of a multiple-base kit. That is a great alternative. I have never used a Bosch router, but I will look at them now after the good recommendations. I was intrigued by the Milwaukee with the Body Grip. It looks like it would be easier to guide since your hand is very close to the center of gravity.

I saw on another thread that the Dewalt 3 base combo kit is on sale (DW618B3) at Home Depot for $199. It is a 2 1/4HP motor with 3 bases; fixed, plunge and D-ring. I called some of the Charlotte area HD stores and found 1 combo kit left for $199. I will go by the store on my way to work tomorrow and look at them. The PC691 D-ring was $169, so for an additional $30 I can get the combo kit. I will look at all of the other suggestions while I am in the store.

Thanks for all of the great advice.

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

I have two PC690s and four bases. I have a D-handle base and have used it but I did not like it. It never felt as steady to me as a fixed base with two handles. I typically keep one motor in the plunge base (it takes an allen wrench to get the motor out of the PC690 plunge base) and switch the other motor between the other bases. By having several, I can attach one or two to a router table and save time.

Besides the hassle of needing an allen wrench to go into or out of the plunge base, the PC690 has a 1 amp smaller motor and does not have height adjustment from above the table. If you value one of these features, then by all means spend a little more and get something you will like better. I like my PC690s, even if the design is a little older. One of my motors is fixed speed and without soft start and for most things that does not bother me either. I got PCs good edge guide when I bought my 3 base kit as a throw in. It has micro-adjust and is nice.

I also have a Bosch Colt little router. It is nice too but will not do the work as a mid-sized router. (I also love my Bosch jigsaw, I just didn't go that way for a mid-sized router. I do not think the 1617 was out when I bought my first PC).

Jim

Comment

• jself
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2005
                          • North Carolina.

I found the DeWalt 3 combo base kit at HD on closeout. It was $199 for all three bases (fixed, D-ring and plunge) with a 2 1/4 HP motor. I really liked the Milwaukee body grip router, but the DeWalt looked like a better deal. Thanks for all the advice. I wouldn't have bought the combo kit without your advice.

Comment

• themachine
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Cincinnati, OH
                            • BT3100, General Intl. 220

I second the other posters who like the Milwaukee. Nice comfortable grip and scored highest on a recent magazine router review. I own the Bosch 1617 and it too is great. Sears in Cincinnati has the Milwaukee on clearance for $110 - that would be hard to beat.

Comment

• Sawatzky
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • CA
                              • Ridgid TS3650

I have a PC 690 and like it a lot.

Comment

Working...